RYEDALE RUMBLE 9TH AUGUST 2009

bobh
bobh Posts: 163
The Ryedale Rumble website is up and running for 2009. Options for entry are by down-loadable hard copy for posting or by online (available by the 20th December). The route will be the same as 2008 but with a shift to an August date you'll see the North York Moors heather in full bloom. That's a sight to make the hard work worthwhile as you take in what are some of Yorkshire's finest and quietest cycling roads.

As always it's down to our small team to organise, bring a volunteer who can man a feed station, signing-on control or some other worthy role and there's a free entry! Enter send me an email (bobhowden@grasscrete.com) with the volunteers details and we will refund on the day.

Bob Howden

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This is another on my hitlist, and for what I can gather theres an awful lot wanting a pop next year....and no wonder....cannot praise this route enough...simply stunning....all on lovely backroads...with the most daunting of gradients...and a chance to bag the infamous Rosedale Chimney at 100miles...I'll get my entry off ASAP....
  • is there a problem with the site on this one? it wont let me access on line entry nor any of the route details, i have printed off the postal version however
  • bobh
    Sorry if you had problems with the site. As indicated above online entry is due to start on the 20th until then that link won't open. For the maps if you click on the "here" link they pop up. Having them in this format helps to stop the site from being slow in loading. With any site of this nature there's always work in progress and over the next day or so we'll be loading a selection of 2008 photos into the gallery.
  • Anonymous
    Looks as if the guys have got the Ryedale Rumble online entry already sorted...as I've just entered!

I just went to http://www.ryedalerumble.co.uk/ and hit 'entry form', that then took me to the Everyday Website which allowed online entry?....

£26 well spent....just like the Lakes I simply do not get tired of cycling this awesome area...to me the NY Moors are very special...and since Ive only ever cycled them in Apri I cannot wait to see this purple heather in full bloom!.....must be spectacular....

For those who want to maybe find out what all the fuss is about then just go to:-

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... rumble.asp

Its an in depth write up of a Reccy Ride of last year...it gives an idea what to expect...
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Bob

I'd like to know more about the route....the definition on the map of the short route posted by Richy is good. I can't make out anything on the routemap on your site

I'm sure I'm not alone in my desire to "get to know" a route
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Anonymous
    Ken Night wrote:
    Bob

I'd like to know more about the route....the definition on the map of the short route posted by Richy is good. I can't make out anything on the routemap on your site

I'm sure I'm not alone in my desire to "get to know" a route

What about this Ken:-

http://bcyorkshire.co.uk/admin/pictures ... master.JPG
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

"Reet good....ta muchly"
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    £26 is a bit steep isn't it???

Epic Events only charge £15 for the Lakeland Loop and the N Rock Cyclone is only £18 so how come this costs so much more? What does this event offer for the extra money that the others don't?
  • brucey72 wrote:

So is this route, !!! :D
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Anonymous
    brucey72 wrote:

Epic Events only charge £15 for the Lakeland Loop and the N Rock Cyclone is only £18 so how come this costs so much more? What does this event offer for the extra money that the others don't?

I don't know what the lakeland loop offer or the Northern Cyclone...but I know this one will have 3 of the very best feed stations...with SIS products et al...Energy drink....Free T-shirt...superb signposting....and I think free showers....

But as Ive already said many times I don't reckon this amount of money is much for the experience you get?.....£26...a round of drinks in the pub....Ive paid £30 for the FWC...what makes it cost £30?...but since it sells out 1000 places in around 4 hours I dont think the money side is the issue...you only get 2 feeds on that one (but still I would Never complain).....its the experience of cycling with another 1000 people round a legendary course..I also did the DLMC...it cost £30 also...worth every penny.....£25 is the average going rate nowadays for a sportive....I did the WRC and the Devil Ride last year...both £25...bot excellent......the prices you qoute are for a mini-sportive(lakeland loop)...and Ive no idea why NRC is priced so low?...but I applaud that aswell...the Spud Riley is £20 also...great!...but these are now the lower end of what youll pay.
  • bobh
    Brucey

The organisers are "not for profit", surplus funds ( and they are modest ) are used to develop racing and coaching opportunities for our youth and junior cyclists. None of the organisational team take any earnings whatsoever from the event.

Organising an event on this scale is a massive task, why not take uo the offer of a free entry and bring a friend or wife (free of charge!) to help, They would need to be up before sparrows though, either to go in one of the routing or feed station vans, or to help set up the event HQ. By this time the core team of volunteers will have already spent several days on risk assessments, clearing access routes to car parks etc.

Money is becoming increasingly tight we are all too aware of that but as percentage margins go ours is a fraction of what would have been on the bikes most riders turn up with!