Commuting mudguards for Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra

Kevlar_Commuter
Kevlar_Commuter Posts: 7
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
My new badboy has just arrived - hurrah :))) big smiles .... and I am looking at a decent set of mudguards for the long commutes I do.
The rims are standard :- Rims Bad Boy X320 32h 28" , but the clearance looks very tight.
I ideally wanted to get a set of the SKS Chromplastic blacks but I am unsure if these are suitable... can anyone advise or has experience, or other recommendations please.
thanks

Comments

• bump ...no one any thoughts on this one plse? no bad boy owners here?!?
  • Can't help on the mudguards I'm afraid but a mate at work drools at the very mention of the Badboy - so I sent him a picture link :P Does look pretty cool all in black.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • thanks, I am not convinced anything other than snap on guards will be suitable, there are no attachment burrs nor will there be any clearance with the marathon plus's I have on the bike at the moment.
    what a pain - I absolutely need mudguards for winter commuting - classic case of jumping before thinking in getting this without doing the research - :(
  • I have also just recieved the 2009 Bad boy, 700 x 28c wheels?? I bought the SKS Adventure mudguards - they didnt fit! However, after drilling out the hole on the supplied mudguard bracket they fit fine.

They fit fine with the supplied slick tyres that came with the bike but i've bought some other continentals with a bit grip - they might not fit with the mudguards on as the clearance is pretty tight.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    If you are cycling on tarmac, the slicks will offer more grip than something with a tread pattern, why not stick with the slicks?
  • will these fit is my problem! I have swapped the bad boy slicks that came with the bike for some Schwalbe Marathon + , due to the miles I do commuting.
    These are the ones I am trying to work out if will fit or not...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25793
  • b_c
    b_c Posts: 19
    will these fit is my problem! I have swapped the bad boy slicks that came with the bike for some Schwalbe Marathon + , due to the miles I do commuting.
    These are the ones I am trying to work out if will fit or not...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25793

Hi, What mudguards did you finally use for your bad-boy? reccos appreciated
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Like wise, did you get anything to fit. Got a wet bum here! :?
  • This is a really old thread and I doubt anyone will see this but I'm just wondering if anyone managed to get any mudguards for their badboy? I also have marathon + fitted and clearance is extremely tight. I read somewhere that people were using the sks bluemels which I purchased but I don't think they'll fit. You can't attach the spurs on the front mudguard due to the brake caliper being in the way but I'm happy without a front mudguard but the rear has even more problems. You can't attach the front of the rear mudguard to the chainstay as there is ≈3mm clearance and any type of screw to hold it in place will just rub against the wheel. And then the bridge that attaches the mudguard to the seatstay has metal prongs that fold over the mudguard and hold it essentially adding mm to the mudguards thickness so the wheels rub there. Reading that back it is impossible to imagine from what I've described unless you are very familiar with the mudguards I guess. I don't think any mudguards will fit except a clip on fender which I really don't want
  • I have the Bad Boy Alfine 8 with the Headshok Fatty. Originally I fitted the SKS Race Blades which were fine for the rear but didn't fit properly at the front because of the bleed port on the forks. Last year I swapped to the SKS Shockblade which I am really pleased with (easy to fit but a bit ugly)

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/31 ... black.html
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/31 ... dshok.html
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/31 ... guard.html

There was G-star version of the bike which came with fitted mudguards but I never found a supplier.
  • MattMTB
    MattMTB Posts: 95
    I have SKS road 'guards on my bad boy and they fit fine. Can send some pics if interested? Cheers :)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I find that the only metal hardware that works at the chainstay bridge is a direct bolt to a threaded boss. A single ziptie through a small hole in the 'guard is more effective than the metal brackets and also lower profile.
    Chromoplastic 'guards can be nibbled down to fit most tight spots. They used to come with the tip narrowed to fit between the chainstays. Now I make the cutouts with a dremel. If you are clever with a dremel you can make the mudguards grip the chainstays quite tight all by themselves but they still need a ziptie.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    will these fit is my problem! I have swapped the bad boy slicks that came with the bike for some Schwalbe Marathon + , due to the miles I do commuting.

The miles you do commuting is a very good reason not to get Schwalbe Marathon Plus - they are terrible things. Try standard Schwalbe Duranos in 25mm and you'll have a much nicer ride, loads of puncture resistance and more space for the mudguards. Marathon Plus should only ever be found on hire bikes. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I had sks Blumels fitted to my bad boy. They fit fine. Be aware the seatstay bridge mounting eyelet required me to drill a hole in the guard and bolt through the guard, as opposed to the little bracket.

There's a second eyelet on the fork dropouts on the caliper side, with a little judicious bending and careful trimming of the 'guard stays, they will fit fine. Honest.