La Marmotte Bike advice...

I'm putting together a bike for La Marmotte 2009 and need some advice.
Specialized Rouxbaix S-works 2008 F&F
Ultegra or Ultegra SL Triple 26-39-50 with 12-27 cassette

What wheels should I get?
Carbon or Alloy Stem & bars?
Tyres thinking about Schwalbe Ultremo or Mitchelin Pro 3's.

I'm going to be 14st when doing marmotte on this bike but it's going to be ridden from 16st. I'm currently 20st but weight is coming off at a stone a month through training and diet. I'm riding 100KM a week.

Any tips gratefully received.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ride a solid bike. If you're 14 stone, even with a genetic gift superior to Eddy Merckx, you will suffer like a sick dog - all riders do - over this long course. So don't worry about saving a few grams from your bike with carbon bars or wheels, there's little advantage.

Good luck with it all!
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    Over that course and distance you will be grateful for anything that makes for reliability and comfort.
    Hand built wheels (based upon Open Pro or Ambrosio Excellence rims) or low profile rimmed factory whhels such as Campag Neutrons would be good. Vredestein Fortezzas or Pro Race 3's, preferrably in 25c width. Look at what the pro teams use for off season training - invariably handbuilts.
    Standard rather than oversize bars plus cushioning tape would be good. Lance won six of his tours on Deda 215 shallow drops - only £35.
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    Over that course and distance you will be grateful for anything that makes for reliability and comfort.
    Hand built wheels (based upon Open Pro or Ambrosio Excellence rims) or low profile rimmed factory whhels such as Campag Neutrons would be good. Vredestein Fortezzas or Pro Race 3's, preferrably in 25c width. Look at what the pro teams use for off season training - invariably handbuilts.
    Standard rather than oversize bars plus cushioning tape would be good. Lance won six of his tours on Deda 215 shallow drops - only £35.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Kléber wrote:
    Ride a solid bike. If you're 14 stone, even with a genetic gift superior to Eddy Merckx, you will suffer like a sick dog - all riders do - over this long course. So don't worry about saving a few grams from your bike with carbon bars or wheels, there's little advantage.

Good luck with it all!
    +1 completely agree, a few grammes here or there are worthless compared to getting in shape
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I'm riding 100KM a week.

I think you'll need to build your weekly mileage up fairly soon into the new year - 60 miles a week is definitely not going to cut it come July. Have a search in "Training" as there were a few Marmotte specific threads I think this time last year.

Good luck with it and well done on the weight loss - the Marmotte is one hell of a challenge but certainly a day to remember (if things go according to plan - a day to forget if not :wink: ).
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    I'm putting together a bike for La Marmotte 2009 and need some advice.
    Specialized Rouxbaix S-works 2008 F&F
    Ultegra or Ultegra SL Triple 26-39-50 with 12-27 cassette

What wheels should I get?
    Carbon or Alloy Stem & bars?
    Tyres thinking about Schwalbe Ultremo or Mitchelin Pro 3's.

I'm going to be 14st when doing marmotte on this bike but it's going to be ridden from 16st. I'm currently 20st but weight is coming off at a stone a month through training and diet. I'm riding 100KM a week.

Please give me some tips :D If you're strong enough to lose a stone a month,.....I always get to a certain weight, and then on it goes again

as for tyres, I did it on Ultremos, and was happy with them. I have done many sportives on 24mm Open Paves, 25mm wouldn't be too much-and are available in some Schwalbe models

Avoid the Michelins as they are a hard ride
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah - agree with all those above.

Forget the carbon bars and stem - no use whatsoever.

You will need to ramp up the mileage now - your weight loss will plateau so you cant just say - I lost a stone in the first month and will do the same again. You need to increase your levels of activity.

Decent hand builts would be my advice - where in the UK are you - we could prob advise on a decent wheelbuilder ?

As to tyres - everyone has their favourites - but for me - you cant beat the Conti GP4000S - great rubber and tough too.

As to the bike - you will prob need a triple, and you need to be set up properly - so go to a decent shop for advice on the model. That would be much more important than getting such and such a bike.

Good luck and tell us all about it !
  • Thanks for the tips.

The weight loss isn't just through training it's dietry as well and the activity will be coming up anyway.

I'm based in south wales but have been on the phone to pete matthews and paul hewitt.

I've already bought the 56 roubaix S-Works frame as I've been measured for a bike and I've ridden a roubaix very nice!

I'll skip the carbon bars and stem I'd rather play it safe than sorry and I'll be training at 16st when I get the bike so need the contact points to be strong.

I'm blogging this as well at http://marmotteorbust.blogspot.com

It's for charity we've decided on bob wilson's Willow Foundation.

Thanks for the tips keep em rolling

Thanks

Gareth
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Good choice of charity Gareth.

It'll be tough. I'm a skinny mountain goat and I failed on my first time at the Marmotte so don't underestimate the task in hand. But, at the same time, if you do the training and start knowing you could have done no more then you're be properly prepared.

You're motivation will dip so if you need a refresh pop onto here and share your concerns. Many of us will be able to help so keep asking the questions.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
  • Ken Night
    andyp wrote:
    It'll be tough. I'm a skinny mountain goat and I failed on my first time at the Marmotte so don't underestimate the task in hand. .

You completed La Marmotte subsequently, tho?

That new bike of yours will pedal itself when the going gets tough on the Alpe, won't it?
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • andyp
    Abandoned in 2002 but succeeded in 2006. One was a cold, wet, horrible day. The other was clear and warm.

The new bike may help but I'll still need to train I think. :D
  • I can't ride my new bike as specialized won't replace the frame till I'm 16st ish... which is plenty of motivation as nearly 3K is a lot to spend on a bike I won't be able to ride until I get down to 16st but any help is gratefully received.

I've been told how immense a task it is but I've done a lot of sport and I beleive that I'm mentally tough which I think is one of the hardest things.

I find I struggle with sunday rides as I'm normally shattered from coaching rowing all day on saturday. I did join a cycle club but they don't do sunday club runs which I've found out since I joined not amused.
  • I did the Marmotte last year weighing in at around 14 stone . in a time of 10 hrs 10 min ( 44 years old). I averaged around 60km week cycling the previous 6 months ( plus running and swimming).
    ing
    The biggest problem encounterd was through using a racing chain set (39 x 25 as the lowest gear). could have cried going up the alp!

Best advice for us big guys is use the easiest gearing ie triple or a good compact,, and pace yourself. Perhaps most importantly positve attitude YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF COMPLETING THE MARMOTTE :wink:

Cheers Richard :)
  • Going for a 26 inner ring with a 27 rear cog and a very light bike! It's going to be tough but I'll do it! I'm 33 but coming off no training for years but I'm doing 100KM a week and will be ramping that up come spring.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You should spend a couple of days out there either with a tour company or on your own. If you haven't ridden the Alps, nothing in the UK is going to prepare you for the Galibier. It's not a hard climb, but the length and the height can take it's toll, particularly since you'll have already 'enjoyed' the Glandon/Croix de Fer/Telegraphe.
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You should spend a couple of days out there either with a tour company or on your own. If you haven't ridden the Alps, nothing in the UK is going to prepare you for the Galibier. It's not a hard climb, but the length and the height can take it's toll, particularly since you'll have already 'enjoyed' the Glandon/Croix de Fer/Telegraphe.
    M.Rushton
  • I've done it

I HAVE ENTERED LA MARMOTTE

I've got the following races planned as training.

Forest of Dean Classic

Dragon Ride

Possibly the Etape Caledonia.....
  • andyp
    I echo what mrushton says - you've never ridden in the high mountains before then you must do so before the Marmotte. I'd recommend the Time Megeve Mont Blanc sportive as a good warm up which will give you a feel for the big climbs but is easily accessible from Geneva airport.

No UK sportive can prepare you for the Croix de Fer or Telegraphe/Galibier experience.
  • How about the Vercors-Drome, is that high enough?

I was thinking about doing that one next year, and the Marmotte the year after.
  • Ken Night
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    How about the Vercors-Drome, is that high enough?

I was thinking about doing that one next year, and the Marmotte the year after.

There is plenty of climbing in the Vercours-D or the Dauphine, and it's a good intro.

The other posters are right. Le Col de la Croix de Fer is 28k, and the Telegraph/Galibier combo 35k, lifts the "experience" to a whole new level.

Another point to note is the Galibier is at 8000ft over double the Col de Machine in the Vercours. Believe me, the altitude makes a difference

I think most people have had enough by the time they get to Plan Lachat on the Galibier and somehow winch themselves up that L to R ramp you can see above it, miles before you get there

The Alpe becomes an exercise in survival even after the 50k descent

I'm keen to have another go, having survived it first time, would like to go for a good time
  • Kléber
    Riding in the Alps is very useful but if you've signed up for one ride, there's no need to turn to do an extra week if you concerned about your budget. With the weak pound at the moment, a week or even weekend spent checking out the big climbs isn't as easy it was before.

That said, if you can, try these big climbs. They really are something else. When you start the Telegraphe, you will be climbing almost all the way - with only a quick descent into Valloire - to the top of the Galibier. Even the best riders take two hours, most take three to four hours. Think about it: that's four hours up some of the most unrelenting roads in Europe, into altitude and you've done a major climb to get there, and then you have another coming up for the finish.

Finally, the climbs are big and worth experiencing but also think of the descents, many novices are happy on the climbs but crap themselves on the way down, if you haven't done 80km/h on a 2 metre road before, a visit before can help as on the day you'll be surrounded by many keen to exploit the descent to its maximum.
  • Ken Night
    Kléber wrote:

Finally, the climbs are big and worth experiencing but also think of the descents, many novices are happy on the climbs but crap themselves on the way down, if you haven't done 80km/h on a 2 metre road before, a visit before can help as on the day you'll be surrounded by many keen to exploit the descent to its maximum.

Good point, the first part of the descent of both the Glandon (I assume its being used again in 2009) and the Galibier are technical. The Glandon is never really easy

After the technical section, the descent of the Galibier is a joy

Galibier.jpg

And here is the descent of the Lauteret the year before

3892524.jpg

I would recommend a recce if you possibly can-it's fun in itself, and needn't cost a fortune
  • erko
    erko Posts: 9
    I've done it

I HAVE ENTERED LA MARMOTTE

Good stuff, i will be following this thread with interest. I am planning to come to Europe in 2010 to attempt some Alpine climbs and hope to learn from your experience.
  • Gareth

Have a look at Cyclefilm. They do a really good DVD that has the whole route on camera (speeded up but you can slow it down on your dvd player to get a good look at the course).

http://www.cyclefilm.com/marmotte.html

It's £15 well spent, as it shows you exactly what your gonna face.

Mike Cotty, the guy in the film, makes it look quite easy !

Me and a few mates are gonna do the Marmotte route at beginning of sep this year, with a mate backing us up with a car in case of emergency !
    Gonna get a few sportives and audaxes done in this country 1st of all. The Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge should be a good test !

Good luck.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • funnily enough cumbrian man I've just bought the set!

Latest update I've got myself a coach for doing marmotte my mate has also entered and I've set up a blog

http://marmotteorbust.blogspot.com/

Off out on the mountain bike tomorrow first time on a bike in 2 week this flu that's going round has been horrid.
  • gareththp did you send medical certificate when you entered,cos last year i just sent in a racing licence and that was ok
  • Gareth

I understand that medical certificates are a MUST this year, and racing licence will not do.

Have a look at Cyclosport.org on the Marmotte page.

Cheers

• Kléber
    I understand that medical certificates are a MUST this year, and racing licence will not do.
    Hmmm, I wonder which UK cycling website has just launched a scheme to sell you medical certificates? :wink:
  • Probably cheaper going to your own Doc for a certificate !

Don't forget about sorting your accommodation as well, as it gets booked up quickly !

• Going to see my doctor about the medical certificate as at the moment I wouldn't give myself a pass to ride marmotte! Went out for a off road blast ljust to make sure I'm clear of the flu and hurrah I'm good so back to training monday on the road. The DVD of Marmotte arrived today.... I'm planning on scaring myself silly later...