MORE fun on the trails?!

JoeC123
JoeC123 Posts: 15
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello, I'm currently riding a 2008 Specialized Stumpy comp, and I'm really enjoying riding a hardtail.
However, myself and a few friends have recently been riding alot more trails, both locally (southdowns) and sometimes slightly further afield.
My bike is pretty much standard exept for a few small things and was just wondering how I could improve my stumpy when riding some of the trails? And what the best buys would be?

Cheers Guys,
Joe

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it all standard spec? Anything in particular letting you down?

It is a very good bike as standard, so you will have to spend a LOT of money to see much improvment. Maybe a few weight loss aresa to be had.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I've got an 07 Elite and have upgraded:

Cassette:- the original one is very heavy where you don't want weight, put on an XT.
    Grips:- mine have started to move after 2 years so I've bought some lockons.
    Tyres:- changed to suit conditions (have a winter and summer set), maybe consider going tubeless?
    Front mech:- swapped my LX for XT, pimp value only.
    Cables:- replaced them as they gunked up, better shifting for a while.
    Shifters:- swapped my LX for XT as I prefer the XT feel, not appropriate for you though.
    Maybe swap the bars for carbon ones, small weight reduction, maybe reduce a bit of trail buzz.

As Sonic says they're not bad bikes to start with.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Aye, pretty much standard, just changed tyres, grips and got some better SPDs
    thanks for the advice

Would it be worth investing in new forks with slightly more travel than the 90 mm im running currently?

Joe
  • supersonic
    Is this a stumpy hardtail or FSR?
  • JoeC123 wrote:
    Hello, I'm currently riding a 2008 Specialized Stumpy comp, and I'm really enjoying riding a hardtail.

i think its a hardtail
  • supersonic
    If that is the case, the frame probably not designed for more than 90-100mm of travel. Infact, I know they are not.
  • You have covered the most obvious thing, tyres. For trail riding changing the fork travel won't make much difference, and as it is already a very good fork you won't improve anything by changing it.

You may get a useful benefit from upgrading the front brake disc from 160 to 180mm, which will require a new disk and a suitable adapter. This is a cheap way of improving braking. Don't bother with the rear though.

I suggest you look at clothing next, in the winter months getting this right can be key to enjoying your ride. Also, for longer trips further afield, you may need to give some consideration to your lighting requirements.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • yep tyres are the first stop and then if the bikes geometrey feels wrong try a different stem. Basically try and think of any problems, even just little things that annoy you and then work to iron them out and things should improve a lot but just keep an eye out on how much you're spneding because its easy to go to far over the hill and spend to much

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008