singlespeeds ?

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
fed up with turbo , dont want to get best bike rusty , thinking of getting one on one pompino , heard there is great benefits riding singlespeed through winter . any one got one ? any one agree ?

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I've got one and I love it. There's something about riding single speed and something else about riding fixed that is hard to explain. I think it's the whole stripped down thing and knowing that whatever the road has to offer you've got to tackle it with the gear you've got. I'm only just getting used to riding fixed but it's a great workout. After an hour and a half I feel like I've done a 3 hour ride!!!

If you aren't sure about single speed then Planet-X so the same frame with gears, called the Kaffenback. I've got one of those as well and it's a fantastic winter bike. I've put mudguards on mine and it's great for wet days........ when I can get the GF off it :D
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Single or fixed, both greatly reduce maintainence. Other than that, rather different beasts, I think. Try both!
    Pompinos are good winter bikes - better than the many off the peg fixeds/singles which don't take full 'grds (nor tyres much bigger than x25s). Increasingly there are others in same category e.g. Spesh Tricross Single (which I prefer to Pomps, mainly cos lighter and don't rust!).
    Have a look around on Special Interests - lots of discussion about fixeds in particular.
    FWIW, for tarmac and modest off-tarmac stuff I don't really see the point of single rather than fixed - but I guess depends in part on terrain. Off-road proper, then IMO single better than fixed.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Pearson Touche - Off the peg drilled for guards and they'll spec it up ow you like. I've got one and I love it.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    +1 for Spec singlecross. Can be used with freewheel or fixed, plenty of room for mudguards. Can be used off road as well. A very versatile bike. I just wanted a bike to use on fixed. This does so much more.
  • Love my Pompi, great fun to ride but fixed will take a little getting used to. Less maintenance that lovely connected feeling with the bike. I got mine with the Midge bars which are a nice mix between flats and drops.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Got a Langster last winter. Used if single speed at first, now converted to fixed (both bike and me).

Do my long rides on it and love for the zen of simplifying experience down to bare essentials, also ease of maintenance.

And IMO it helps with pedalling.

Interested to note in recent CW that Ian Cammish (who has ridden a few miles in his time) has just started riding fixed and saying how much he enjoyed it...
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • I've got a pomp, it is lovely, even my MTBing fat head flat mate loves it. It has a lovely supple ride quality to it, i found the langster too harsh.

The pomp will definitely take a decent hammering off-road too. Mine has v-brakes and the stopping power is astonishing.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    John.T wrote:
    +1 for Spec singlecross. Can be used with freewheel or fixed, plenty of room for mudguards. Can be used off road as well. A very versatile bike. I just wanted a bike to use on fixed. This does so much more.

£274.99 @ Pearsons at the mo:

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/product/4422/SPECIALIZED_TRICROSS_SINGLE_2008_RRP_450_SAVE_175_NOW_27499
  • meagain
    Tricross "£274.99 @ Pearsons at the mo:"

A1 bargain I reckon. I might just get another!!
    d.j.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    i was thinking of turning a dying rourke road bike into a singlespeed

how much do you rekon it would cost to strip it all down to single?
  • hi,
    i have just got my first singlespeed bike, it's a 1989 bike built in dorset! wierd i know, it has campag droupouts on the frame and forks and is reynolds 531, it had exage 6 speed which has been stripped off, carbon bars, fluted campag seatpost and decent shimano wheels, i bought it for £80 and spent another £50 on tyres, freewheel, tektro aero levers and easton bar tape. It's light, red (which is always good) super smooth and silent i love it!!

ill put up some pics later

th moral is if you shop around you can get something better than some new 2009 bikes for alot less!
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • As a single speed convert, i did a 40 mile ride today on my new single speed very hilly ride and i managed all of them no problem, i'm not even sure what gears are for anymore!

I love single speed, see my thread on special intrests for some singlespeed stuff

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12599274

Henry

oh yeah i love pompinos i would get one if i were you, i'm ordering one after christmas!
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    single speeds are ace - esp in the winter and for commuting cos the simplicity makes them easy to maintain
    JC.152 wrote:
    i was thinking of turning a dying rourke road bike into a singlespeed

how much do you rekon it would cost to strip it all down to single?

could be really quite cheap indeed, if the frame has horizontal dropouts then a new (or even rebuilt) back wheel and a suitable crankset (you may get lucky with sticking a new ring on the existing cranks) as long as the chain line

there's a recent article in the newsy bit about SS conversions...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    My commuting hack is the One One Pompino. Riding fixed is just more natural somehow - it is obvious when on the bike how to slow down, stop etc. I think you have much greater control. It takes about 10 minutes to get used to for the first time, that's all. It is no harder than riding with gears (I think that's a myth); it's just different. Having previously ridden 13 miles each way to/from work on it a few times, I went straight to a 200km audax event - it was fine, no different to usual really, just a much more consant average speed, with less difference between fast and slow bits. My fastest flat/rolling terrain event times have been on fixed though. Just do it! 8)
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    Rode my SS for the first time to work yesterday. Quite a short ride, just to see if everything worked OK (as I built it myself).

Was fine, a 42x16 seems like a fine ratio for most stuff.

Just one thing though, only had a front brake as the frame is not drilled at the rear.

Will be drilling it now though, going downhill towards a roundabout, and trying to signal right while braking does not work :shock:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Single speed with no back brake = madness :roll:
    More problems but still living....
  • John.T
    Legal on fixed but not advisable. I seldom use mine but would not take it off.
  • http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    Flambes wrote:

Will be drilling it now though, going downhill towards a roundabout, and trying to signal right while braking does not work :shock:

Drilling through seatstay bridges that weren't `designed' for that... clamp and braking forces. I know people do it from time to time but does the work hold up over time?
  • meagain
    "trying to signal right while braking does not work"

Which is why IF running a FIXED with one brake, the lever traditionally mounts on the LEFT, contrary to normal UK practice!!!
    d.j.
  • Flambes
    Looked at the bridge, seems too thick too accept a rear brake.

I think I'll still ride it as is to work (famous last words!), with a view to going fixed when I can find some cheap GP4's with a fixed hub.

I can always slow it down using my face.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    I am a scrote on a Bowery (40th birthday present to myself - from the LBS for £350, the cyclocross bike I was finally going to get, had gone...bugger!) and don't really care about brand names and peer group pressure. Absolutely superb bike, riding around city centres - the acceleration is phenomenal. Running on a 46;16 and gets up most hills without too much hardship, and you don't end up looking like Michael Flatley coming down the other side either. Always a bonus.
  • Out of interest, how fit do you have to be to switch from a fully geared bike to a single/fixed speed?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    you probably don't - just select your gearing to ensure you can get around OK.

it does help (I think anyway) with fitness - if I am riding for around or under the hour mark I take the singlespeed (Langster - was fixed but currently SS) - it makes for quite an intense workout as you have no easy option of dropping a few gears and spinning up hills - you just get out of the saddle and power up them .

imo a fixed in town makes for some very effective interval training.
  • John.T
    Flambes. This post sounds as if you are running a single speed (freewheel) bike with just one brake. If so you should know that this is both illegal and dangerous. Even with fixed it is safer to have 2 brakes although the rear is not used as much.
    If you are legal then ignore this.
  • Flambes
    :shock:

No - utterly illegal and dangerous :twisted:
    It was only a test ride for a few miles. I'm not riding it again until I can drill out the rear bridge.
    Well, and fit a rear brake as well.
  • John.T
    You had me a bit worried there. Enjoy the bike and give it a go with fixed if you can. Do you not have a flipflop hub with fixed threads on the other side.
  • Flambes
    No - I'm using an old pair of GP4's with a freewheel hub.
    I've my eyes peeled on Ebay for GP4 rims (I have the strange desire to ride tubs on it) which I'll build with a flip-flop - eventually.

Thanks for the concern though!