W2 Afan

dryburger_3.0
dryburger_3.0 Posts: 30
edited January 2012 in MTB rides
Me and a mate are looking to do W2 at Afan this weekend and was just wondering if anyone knew what the conditions are like at the mo?
GT Avalanche : Marzocci MX Pro LO, Formula OROS K18

Comments

• Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    WET! - (Probably!)

We did it in October in torrential rain, it was great!!

I dont know the current actual conditions, but we did it in incredibly wet weather and the trails where great and hold up well.

Im jealous that your going..... :(
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • mbnut
    mbnut Posts: 155
    If you ride the W2 you are linking the Whites and Wall trails at High level... whilst this means you cut down on some climbing it seems to me you must by default miss out on a downhill singletrack somewhere.... i'm not sure of the details but it is worth checking what you miss.

Whenever i go to Afan i ride both trails stopping for a bit in between... I only mention this as it would be a real shame to miss any of the stunning descents.

Oh and if you are worried about fitness don't as i'm a 40 something that only gets out once a week and i can manage both trails in a day.

As for the conditions... dry is awsome and wet cold windy is.... well awsome

Have fun
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Well, if I can cycle back up from the Black run on Whites up and around to "Windy Point" in sideways rain AND keep smiling - then its pretty special!

Forget the weather..... well, you will anyway when you get on those trails!

Enjoy!
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • christk
    christk Posts: 122
    Done the Wall last Monday and conditions were fine. Pleanty of grip on the climbs, Graveyard as usuall, a little wet but still very rideable. Final down bits are great because the trail pixies have been working there.

Then done the July trail on Tuesday in the rain, so this only included the climb of Whites and the down bit of Skyline. The trails are hard packed and so although you might find you'll get that 1/2 inch of sticky stuff that drags on the tyres they will always be rideable, with the down bits usually well drained which allows the bike to flow, even if you do need the odd crank of the pedal.

Was talking to the staff in the Drop Off cafe after the ride and they were saying how quiet its been over the past week. So have a good ride and enjoy. I hope to be up there on Sunday for another de-tox after my works do.
  • I did Penhydd last sunday, its was fine if a bit icy.
  • I dont want 2 sound stupid but what does it mean by a 'high leel link' ? :?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    What it actually means is high level link. Specifically that you have to get to the top before you can traverse from one to the other. More fun than doing it in the valley though.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.