Wiggle and Credit Cards

McBain_v1
McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
Anyone else had their details scammed after shopping on Wiggle :?: Happened to me - apparently I'd recently bought a £350 fishing rod from a shop in South Wales - no wonder my credit card company phoned me up and checked on this :!:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    There was a spate of these rumours about a year ago, I am not sure there was anything other than circumstantial evidence, but you may find a number of people who have been scammed. Thing is, people on bike forums use wiggle, people on bike forums get scammed, there isn't necessarily a link between wiggle and scamming. DO you have any firm evidence?
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Sadly, I was sceptical about these rumours. Then I was alerted by my bank that someone had tried to use my card details, shortly after using Wiggle.
    I now use paypal when paying them.
  • I've used Wiggle for about 5 years now with no problems whatsoever - they deliver really fast and I've never had a problem with returning stuff either. However, I shopped with Dolan a while back and some scabby git scammed by card details and spent 200£ a couple of days later! Coincidence?
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,621
    edited December 2008
    I have to say I was very sceptical when I heard these rumours last year, but twice this year (January and August) with my Visa, within a day or two of purchasing of Wiggle, scam attempts have happened on it.

Clearly this is not actual evidence or proof, but the wiggle purchases were the only two linking factors I could find both times, so I am just passing on my experiences.

Right PITA as they have to cancel the card, send out a new one, they (or my bank anyway) then have to investigate the transactions, and send me a declaration to sign saying hat the transactions had nout to do with me.

Didn't realise that you could pay with paypal, might do that from now on then, though has to be said I rarely shop with them these days, there prices aren;t what they used to be, tend to err towards Ribble, CRC, Je James etc etc

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Pork Sword wrote:
    I've used Wiggle for about 5 years now with no problems whatsoever - they deliver really fast and I've never had a problem with returning stuff either. However, I shopped with Dolan a while back and some scabby git scammed by card details and spent 200£ a couple of days later! Coincidence?

Probably....
  • One of my card issuers keeps blocking my transactions with Wiggle. I either have to phone them up and tell them that I'm dealing with Wiggle, use another card, or shop elsewhere.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • About 18 months ago, I had £4k racked up on a brand new card, 5 days after I used it for the first - and only - time. At Wiggle.
    Not heard much recently but there were a stack of similar stories around the time. I still use Wiggle lots, but go for the Paypal option every time.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Has this happened on online purchases, or is it over the counter stuff, too. I saw a thing on Newsnight a while back about how the credit card terminal on the till can be hacked.
  • oooo thats worrying.

what annoys me about wiggle is that if you change your C card details to say your partners, then the name on the account i automatically changed.. think i'll get some funny looks from the postie!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wiggle did change their payment procedure when all the stories were going round. So they should be as safe now as any other shop ?
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I just think that there's no smoke without fire - and I very nearly got burned as a consequence of this. New credit card will probably only arrive in the New Year now but it is worrying. In future I think that I am going to have think very carefully about on-line shopping which is a shame :cry:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • I don't shop at wiggle so can't comment on them specifically, but I think generally there is going to be an increase in cases of on-line fraud as the recession bites.
  • Most cases are not to do with the place you shop at, as they tend to have large amounts of security in place to prevent this, but what do you have on your pc? have you run a spyware check? you may be suprised, it's so easy to get a key logger onto a pc and then wait for the numbers to come flooding in.

Links often look safe enough but where do they go, and what do they stick on your pc?
  • people still use PCs? :shock:

:wink:
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I've used my credit card for about 5 years at wiggle now along with other on-line retailers and the one and only time that it's been fraudulently used was when a different e-retailer had their servers hacked, to say I wasn't pleased would be an understatement as apparently they hadn't bothered to upgrade their firewall etc. for a number of years :evil:
  • A colleauge of mine has a credit card with a low (£500) limit that he uses for sites he's not sure about. Seems like a good idea, although he actually had problems getting a card issued with such a low limit - they all wanted to give him £5k+.