Newbie seeking advice on clippy-pedals

SlightlyFuzzy
SlightlyFuzzy Posts: 18
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi Folks,

I'm newly signed up, but have spent some time browsing the forums here - loads of useful info and lots of (mostly) friendly folks :o [some interesting discussions!]
Apologies if this has been covered already, I imagine it has and I've overlooked it!

I've been cycling for quite a few years, but never bought into spd's/clipless pedals when they first appeared. I recently bought a Giant SCR4 and it came with toe clips - I thought this might be a good opportunity to become accustomed to being attached to the pedals before investing in the high-tech stuff.
Is this a wise move?
Reason I ask - I'm now finding it quite natural to get my feet into the toe clips whilst riding, but I'm going to have to learn a new method of 'clipping in' when I get the new pedals (and shoes) - should I just cough up now?

One thing that has spurred me into action is that tonight my left foot slipped straight off the pedal after I started out from traffic lights. My right foot was in the toe-clip and my weight went that way....BIG wobble.... could've been quite nasty if the driver behind wasn't the patient type...
Not sure if I'd stepped in some diesel/oil, but the pedals themselves also seem quite slick when wet. Skinned my shin, dented my pride and knocked my confidence :cry:

Any advice would be muchly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    IMHO clipless pedals are far easier and safer than using toe clips and straps. In a crash your foot is more likely to come off a clipless pedal than it is to come off a pedal if you're using toe clips and straps............ unless the strap is really lose, which negates one of the points of using them. So, give them a go. I've got some totally numpty friends who have managed to get used to them so you should have no problems.

Of course you have to decide which ones to use. I started out with SPDs as I could walk around in the shoes. I still have SPDs on my fixed gear bike as I find them a bit easier to use but I now have SPD-SL pedals on my road bikes because they have a larger platform and I can't put SPD cleats on my race shoes. Look Keo pedals are an alternative to SPD-SLs or you could try Speedplays. There are no right or wrong pedals, just use whatever suits you.
  • Thanks very much for the rapid reply Mister W.

TBH I did have a bit of an "oooh, crikey" moment when I was wibbling towards my clipped in side tonight - moving my foot backwards to get out of the cage when all my weight was on it was going to put me even further out of kilter and I probably would've faceplanted! (so I used the 'bum thrust' technique instead - very effective, very embarrassing).

I'm seriously considering spd's for a few reasons - I also ride an MTB and could use the same shoes if I change pedals on both bikes, plus there are some relatively cheap spd options out there - wouldn't want to shell out £150 odd on pedals and shoes and then decide I don't get on with them. Speedplays do look very funky though.

Hmmmm, decisions......
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Just do it.

Cos you have an MTB too get SPDs... pedals start cheap Shimano M540s something like that, personally I think the higher up XTs are good value and merlin cycles normally have them cheap.

For the road bike just get a set of Shimano A520 ...they're cheap and they're fine and remember that you're not going to be clipping in and out loads of times on a road bike ride anyway.

For shoes then spend a reasonable amount and look for a stiff MTB raceish-style shoe rather than a trail shoe.... personally I get on well with Specialized and have the Expert ones, LeisureLakes or Evans had these the other day for £69 down from £99 and thats a carbon soled shoe so is nice and stiff for the road (trail shoe will not be as stiff cos they're designed to be good to walk in and hence flex a bit.... and cheaper shoes tend to be flexy too). I also seem to remember that Northwave Lizzards are nice and stiff too. Either of these are good but its all down to your feet and whats good for you. These kind of shoes don't look out of place on a road bike either cos they haven't got chunky treads on them like some have.

Remember its cold so don't expect shoes like this to keep your feet warm, especially on the road where the wind is driving through them at higher speeds than typically on an MTB ride... so... invest in some overshoes and warm merino socks.

As for clipping in and out? ...don't worry about it, you don't see half the people at your mtb centre and trails lying on the floor do you, thats cos they're easy to get in an out of, otherwise no-one would use them !!

Hope that helps.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    After a crash on ice last weekend any doubts I might have about SPD's have been eradicated. My feet came easily out of the clips(SPD's) with no injury. When I was a teenager(my god that was 26 years ago!) I crashed with toe clips and straps and was on crutches for 3 weeks with ligament damage due to the twisting on my ankle.

Get yourself some SPDs as you rightly say no point in doubling up on shoes/pedals, they are the easiest to get used to anyway as the method for clipping in is simpler. I now use SPD SL as I like the broader platform but that is just personal preference. There is not much in it for performance.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    This issue always gets this place fired up - that is, fired up to say how wonderful SPDs are compared with fuddy-duddy cycle clips.

Actually, cycle clips are really useful and versatile. You can use ordinary, smooth soled shoes, and they will come out of the clip perfectly easily so long as you haven't over tightened the straps.

I use clips on my commuter and on my MTB in preference to clipless. I use SPDs on my road bike as they are more efficient, especially long distance and on roads where you are not stopping and starting.

For London commuting, I won't use SPDs: they discourage me stopping and I can get out of cycle clips far more easily.

Cycle clips do vary though. The worst I have had were on my Trek 1.7 road bike attached to expensive pedals. These were flimsy plastic with no more resilinece that the nylon straps. They were very difficult to get out off. I use firmer plastic ones that act like a cup so you get some up-pull but without strapping your feet tightly in.

Most people here sound off against cycle clips but have never used them. I find them really useful, especially for London commuting. I have SPDs that I bought for my commuter, but won't use them. SPDs are brilliant on a road bike in the countryside, but not worth the bother in town (though I use them happily enough on the few days I cycle in on the road bike)..
  • I've used SPD's on my mountain bike for about a year and I love them. I am taking delivery of a road bike this weekend and I will use SPD's on that bike too. Why? I don't have to buy another pair of shoes that way :)
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Being a mtb'er I had SPDs fitted to my road bike when I bought it.

M520's are fine. Yep, if weight is that important a higher spec might be in order, but with 520's available for around £17, these and shoes can be had for less than £60.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Ive got strapped pedals, and they are a nightmare to get your feet in, I have to hold myself up against something, ususally the car, then spend about a min trying to get my feet into them, only to come to a stop at a junction 2min later and have to try and get my foot in again whilst looking at my foot and not weaving in the road.....

I think im going to be ordering some normal pedals, or SPD's as these are rubbish. Plus the ones I have you can only use 1 side of the pedal aaahhhh. :evil:
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • bice
    Gav888 wrote:
    Ive got strapped pedals, and they are a nightmare to get your feet in, I have to hold myself up against something, ususally the car, then spend about a min trying to get my feet into them, only to come to a stop at a junction 2min later and have to try and get my foot in again whilst looking at my foot and not weaving in the road.....

I think im going to be ordering some normal pedals, or SPD's as these are rubbish. Plus the ones I have you can only use 1 side of the pedal aaahhhh. :evil:

They are obviously too tight. But unless you have got the nylony ones, rather than more firm plastic ones, you shouldn't have any difficulty. i use them on my MTB in wellingtons with no trouble. They just keep the foot in place without all the clipless palaver.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I've got SPD's on the tourer and SPD-SL on the roadie, can't see going back to platform or cage straps.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I only did a few months on toe straps before i got SPD's a few years ago. I was never happy with them - could never get the hang of getting my feet in easily, and they didn't fill me with confidence for getting out again if i was toppling over or grinding to a halt on a steep hill.

No palaver at all though with SPD's, apart from a couple of days to get the cleats adjusted properly. I feel the benefit especially on hills and when trying to accelerate fast, say jumping out in a gap in the traffic.

I hadn't noticed any difference in normal pedalling until last year when i picked up my new bike, it came with flat pedals and as i was riding it home, my feet kept flying off upwards as i tried to pull up on them :)
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    iain_j wrote:
    I hadn't noticed any difference in normal pedalling until last year when i picked up my new bike, it came with flat pedals and as i was riding it home, my feet kept flying off upwards as i tried to pull up on them :)

Been there . . . . tested a bike with flats. It felt like I couldn't ride properly. My feet were sliding forwards at the top of the stroke.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • bice
    iain_j wrote:
    I only did a few months on toe straps before i got SPD's a few years ago. I was never happy with them - could never get the hang of getting my feet in easily, and they didn't fill me with confidence for getting out again if i was toppling over or grinding to a halt on a steep hill.:)

Well I find the opposite. I use SPDs with no problem on the road bike. On the commuter a waste of time. Take last night going down the Kings Road with a guy on a Condor. Every junction behind me I could hear clunk, clunk and finally click. Then he unclipped before another one, and again the usual fumbling sounds. For stop start riding they are just a nuissance. And then there was a guy on a Ribble making heavy weather. I got along far faster on an old steel racer that was abandoned and I got for nothing.

Cycle clips do virtually the same job as SPDs - though not as efficient on long runs - are better in stop start conditions, and there is none of that cr*p about shoes if you just want to go to the shops. But I realise this is a minority view and most of the posts here would do credit to the SPD marketing board.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    bice wrote:
    Cycle clips do virtually the same job as SPDs - though not as efficient on long runs - are better in stop start conditions, and there is none of that cr*p about shoes if you just want to go to the shops. But I realise this is a minority view and most of the posts here would do credit to the SPD marketing board.
    I think you're right (for a change) bice. Some situations like london commuting makes clipless a poor choice, and favours clips and straps. But as you said, if you are on a long ride in the country, clipless is by far the best option.

I doubt there is a SPD marketing board, there doesn't need to be, it's just that for the right application, clipless are by far the best option. eg, training rides, racing, on the track.

The posts on here favour SPD's because most on here come from a club rider's POV. Go to LondonFGSS and it's the opposite.
  • iain_j
    I prefer SPD's particularly on stop-start rides, I never liked the faff of getting my feet in and out of straps but with SPD's it's simply stamp on the pedal and you're in, twist and you're out. I did struggle at first though, i remember riding home from my brothers after he'd fitted them for me, it took me the full length of his road to click in :)
  • iain_j
    I prefer SPD's particularly on stop-start rides, I never liked the faff of getting my feet in and out of straps but with SPD's it's simply stamp on the pedal and you're in, twist and you're out. I did struggle at first though, i remember riding home from my brothers after he'd fitted them for me, it took me the full length of his road to click in :)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I find using SPD's is effortless. With the tension set right and the cleats optimally positioned I clip in and out without a conscious thought. If you are clunky or awkward with SPD's I would suggest you have poor pedals, poor setup or cleat position, unsympathetic shoe (sole) design, or poor technique. I used toe clips for years, much more awkward, less safe, and unless strapped down tight on each use, a long way from the efficiency of SPD's. Sorry if that sounds like the SPD marketing board, that's just the way it is (for me).
  • father_jack
    I think you're right (for a change) bice. Some situations like london commuting makes clipless a poor choice, and favours clips and straps.

I can pop in and out of Shimano DX M647 quicker than clips, they're on my tourer. [/quote]
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    bice wrote:
    Gav888 wrote:

They are obviously too tight. But unless you have got the nylony ones, rather than more firm plastic ones, you shouldn't have any difficulty. i use them on my MTB in wellingtons with no trouble. They just keep the foot in place without all the clipless palaver.

bice - thanks for the reply, but actually I had them loose not too tight, I find them a pain because they normally go upside down when your foot isnt on them, so you have to get your toes on the end to flip it round and slide your foot in. I guess its the flipping bit im finding a problem.

At present I have taken the straps off now so I can slide my foot out sideways as I nearly came off the other day and had to stick my foot out in a hurry, luckly I did it just in time but found it a pain with the strap there as it could have been nasty. I dont like having my feet strapped in so its either SPD or normal pedals for me I think.
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • bice
    I suppose flipping pedals takes a bit of getting used to. But I'm not evangelical on this: if you prefer SPDs and use them in open country, then stick with them. I've seen over years observing other cyclists that they are not brilliant for commuting in London.

With clips I can go off to lunch in a suit, go off to shops on impulse and it means my daughters can ride the bike when they like (usually without using the clips, however).

But even worse than SPDs for commuting - which I occasionally do when I go in on the road bike - would be SPDs for pottering around bridleways etc. Then I like to dump the bike (a £35 Saracen) behind a hedge and walk around a bit or explore something with the children. Cycling shoes would be hopeless. And I use cycle clips happily with wellingtons, as much to keep the foot in position on the pedal as anything else.

In short, for me clips are not a menace, but mighty handy, versatile, and cheap as chips.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    edited December 2008
    I commute in SPDs (the mtb ones because I have to walk about in them getting on the bike in the morning and from the bike shed to the lockers) and I have no issues with the heavy traffic I ride through every day

if you're commuting and constantly unclipping then you should look for a different route or have a look at your riding style - but if you have double sided SPDs there really isnt an issue anyway
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • father_jack
    Shimano DX M647 are platforms with SPD's, and are double sided. They're a bit small as platforms but there is full size pedal version available. I can bet you £10 I can get out and in of those pedals quicker than people with clips. You have to flip clips over, I just press down.

All the benefits of clipless, with platform to boot. With none of the drawbacks of clips.
  • alfablue
    bice wrote:

But even worse than SPDs for commuting - which I occasionally do when I go in on the road bike - would be SPDs for pottering around bridleways etc. Then I like to dump the bike (a £35 Saracen) behind a hedge and walk around a bit or explore something with the children. Cycling shoes would be hopeless. And I use cycle clips happily with wellingtons, as much to keep the foot in position on the pedal as anything else.

When touring I use Shimano MT90 SPD boots. They are full waterproof (Gore Tex) and have Vibram walking soles. I can get off the bike and walk anywhere in them, they work so well I quite often choose to wear them just for walking. The best of all worlds!
  • alfablue
    bice wrote:

When touring I use Shimano MT90 SPD boots.

They are fully waterproof (Gore Tex) and have Vibram walking soles. I can get off the bike and walk anywhere in them, they work so well I quite often choose to wear them just for walking (I walked up Snowdon in them in the summer). The best of all worlds!

shimano%20MT%2090.jpg
  • Thanks for all the replies folks, plenty of food for thought here.

I can see that personal preference really plays a huge part in this (as with any upgrade I suppose), but there are things being mentioned here that I havn't really considered before;

*For commuting through town (stop/starting) I can see advantages for flats, clipless and toeclips (with or without straps - I'm sure I've seen sturdy strapless cages somewhere...)

*One sided or double sided clipless pedals? For avoiding the pedal-flipping scenario

*With or without a platform? So you don't always need your 'special shoes', plus there's extra surface area

*Shoe choice - my God there's loads!

I'm definitely still leaning towards SPD's and have looked at 520's as a reliable, cheap starting point. I've also spotted the A520's (for the road bike) which have a platform, but are only one-sided....

Again, thanks - I really appreciate all your help and advice. I shall carry on with my decision making and browsing t'internet and catalogues..... my other half thinks it's hilarious that I can spend hours looking at pedals!!!
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    Just to confuse you a little more there is also my favorite pedal the Shimano A530 which is a flat pedal on one side and spd clip on the other, so if your just pottering about you can go out in trainers etc. if out for a serious ride you can put your spd shoes on and clip in all using the same pedal.
  • alfablue
    Fuzzy, just a few further thoughts on your comments above:

M520's are an excellent and cheap way to tr SPD's out, you can get them for around £17 (or less) delivered (see Highonbikes). They seem to function really well, and compare well with the XTR M970's I use.

As for the A520's, single sided and with platform does seem to make sense, but this introduces pedal flipping to get the right side.

With my double sided SPD's I have ridden down to town for shopping (about 2 miles) without problem in ordinary street shoes, obviously not brilliant but certainly quite do-able.

Platforms to give more support when clipped in - this isn't really necessary if your shoes have a sufficiently stiff sole - I never get the hot spot that some people complain of.

Platforms for wearing ordinary shoes - well I have a selection of SPD shoes, some of which are perfectly acceptable in the pub environment.

Toe clips are very annoying, in traffic, IMHO, they will hang upside down and require pedal flipping, sometimes this doesn't work and you pedal away with the clips scraping on the ground, this is not too safe. With SPD's you can pedal away fine, and it doesn't matter if you have clipped in or not straight away, (with properly set up cleats and tension it just happens automatically, anyway).

As for shoes, I like Specialized, and of course my Shimano MT90 boots.

But, as you have seen, there are avid proponents of either approach!
  • That settles it then - I'll just have to buy more bikes and fit lots of different options to all of them, purely in the interests of research of course! :D
  • father_jack
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    I have a set of Look Keo Sprints with the grey (4.5 degree of float) cleats, which I have set to be as loose as possible. I find that the pedal body is large enough that I can cycle along with my foot on the wrong side of the pedal, and once I am moving clip in without thinking about it. Also I find that if you are smooth (and it takes a little practice) you'll never pop out of them, and being super loose means clipping out is a breeze. I've even been knocked off the bike backwards and the cleats unclipped and the bike ghosted off a little way.