What facing do I need to do on my Cove Handjob?

mrwibble
mrwibble Posts: 980
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
Any info would be good, do I need to face the brake mounts especially?
Thanks
Ian

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what brakes will you be fitting?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrwibble
    Avid Elixir R
  • nicklouse
    no need for the brake monts then.

the rest should be at least checked by the LBS.

Head and bb faces.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mrwibble
    silly question, will the steel frame rust when faced? Do I need to apply wax oil or similar?
  • nicklouse
    dont worry the tubes will rust out first.

general cleaning and lubing will sort most things.
  • mrwibble
    I don't like the sound of that, my frame rusting from the inside. Will spaying oil inside the frame help?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My old Tange frame has been rusting from the inside out for 17 years :lol: Don't worry about it. You can blow a corrosion inhibitor like ACF50 through it, or car body underseal, or you can just do what everyone else does and forget about it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    AFAIK being Cromoly it's less likely to Rust as the material is not just plain old steel
  • mrwibble
    Thanks fellas, I am probably going to use waxoyl clear spray.
  • mrwibble
    Just rang Bob Jackson cycles in Leeds and they will frame saver my frame for £10. They also said the bike doesn't need facing because usually the difference in paint thickness at the BB and Headset is usually only microns on the better quality frames so not required. However, the disc mounts are required.

Thanks for the replies fellas, have a good festive season.
  • Steve_b77
    I built mine up as it came from the shop.

Granted the shop fitted the headset, but I just bolted the caliper brackets on and mounted the BB straight into the frame. No worries since I've built it and it's been out on nigh on 10 2 hour rides in the last month through all kinds of gloop and crap.

BTW what forls are you going to be running?

I've been told by a couple of LBS's that facing isn't really necessary on new top end frames
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you shouldnt need to do the brake mounts, i think the elixirs will come with the tri-align system which negates the need to deal with the frame mounts. i am suprised your lbs doesnt think the head tube and bb shell will need doing though.

(that said, i havent faced any bottom braket shells or head tubes and i havent had any problems)
  • Steve_b77
    i am suprised your lbs doesnt think the head tube and bb shell will need doing though.

(that said, i havent faced any bottom braket shells or head tubes and i havent had any problems)

There's nothing like contradiction :wink:
  • Anonymous
    what i mean is that everyone thinks you need to have it done and i am suprised a bike shop would say not to. i agree with them.
  • Steve_b77
    what i mean is that everyone thinks you need to have it done and i am suprised a bike shop would say not to. i agree with them.

Everyone or the bike shop :?
  • Anonymous
    the bike shop, but i could well be wrong
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's best to have it done as will prolong life of bearings. Shimano will not warrantly bearing failure if the BB shell has not being faced.

Not that they would anyway, wear and tear ;-)
  • supersonic
    It's best to have it done as will prolong life of bearings. Shimano will not warrantly bearing failure if the BB shell has not being faced.

• Steve_b77
    supersonic wrote:

Just how would they know if:

a) The BB shell had been faced
    b) it was done correctly
  • supersonic
    Exactly. Unless they had a dealer inspect it in which it could be seen.
  • mrwibble
    Revelation 426 I will be running.
  • Steve_b77
    edited December 2008
    mrwibble wrote:
    Revelation 426 I will be running.

Snap,

Will it look like this?

Sorry for the Hi-jack this is my freshly built Hand Job

pbpic2757913.jpg