Secondhand Giant TCR advice (newbie please be gentle)

russdcycle
russdcycle Posts: 93
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
hi
i am in a bit of a muddle. currently i thrash around on a 12 year old kona cindercone on the road and have got the cycle bug at the tender age of 43. i fancy adding a road bike to my garage but feel i want to purchase secondhand to start with.
i have been to look at a giant tcr ally frame with carbon forks. it looks and feels in great nick but i am unsure on the age and the tech spec on it.
It feels the right size so that is fine there are no signs of wear on the bottom bracket and the wheels run true. My biggest dilemma is that it has Shimano 600 set up. i am aware this is old spec and well respected but should i be looking for a more up to date bike.
The price seems fair enough at £300.
Do i go for it or look for something shimano 105.
i also like the new flat bar road bikes and the shop i visited reckons it might suit me as the riding style of a road bike might make me not enjoy it as much. not sure whether this is valid advice or not.
Over to you then chaps and chapesses.
:?

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Is that frame the same age as the groupset? Shimano 600 was a fairly good spec but was dropped from their range in 97/98. An aluminium bike of that age is probably not a good bet. It may be in beautiful condition and have been looked after very carefully but aluminium frames don't last forever.

Even if it is worth buying, it's not worth £300. Bikes don't hold their value well.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shimano 600 is a decent groupset - but it wouldnt make the bike worth £300.

Bikes have had STI levers for almost 20 years. Shimano 600 wont have that.

As to the hybrid v road bike - well the road bike will feel odd - but if you have ridden MTB - then you should get used to drop bars quicker than most.

I'd sy £100 - £150 for the bike. If you wanted a newer groupset - then for the price of it - you could almost buy a brand new bike. Nice frame there though.
  • Before you buy ,have a look at something new like the Boardman Comp which is currently reduced to £440 in Halfords bikehut.For that money you are getting,a thoroughly decent beginners road bike with carbon forks,modern frame geometry,Tiagra/105 drivetrain with modern STI shifters,decent wheels and so on,plus a warranty and free first service.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/comp-08-22946

On an older bike you can easily spend £100 or so just replacing a worn cassette,chain and bottom bracket.

For £300 you should be able to get a more up to date bike.I bought my 2006 Trek 1200 for less than £300,which was in excellent condition.

The TCR is a good bike,and I have an older road bike with a Shimano 600 chainset on,which is still going strong but I`d say its not worth £300 if i,ts that old ,plus,sourcing parts is somewhat limited with older components and future upgrades compromised.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • thanks for the advice. will try and resist the glitz of a shiny bike.
    i am fairly patient, will wait for something similar in the giant range. then again i might go new in the jan sales. suppose boardman range in halfords bikehut may have a sale in jan.