Cleaning your chain

ross_mcculloch
ross_mcculloch Posts: 478
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
I know some people use a chain bath, some people remove the chain and others simply use a hard bristle brush..how do you clean yours?

Comments

• Well I think this could be original -

I have some small plastic boxes with hinged lids, about 10 inch x 7 inch x 1 inch high. Chain goes in with enough concentrated bike wash (fenwick F1) just to cover it, close the lid, then I use a black and decker sander (with just the rubber pad, no actual sandpaper) and press down on the lid and switch on.

Bzzzzzzzz.

Empty and repeat.

Gets the thing pretty clean and ready for a lube.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • Ingenious!

So do most people remove their chain when cleaning it then?
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Every few rides I'll take the chain off and pop it in a jam jar with white spirit. GIve it a shake and it comes out looking like new, rince under a tap to remove the white spirit and then lube.
    Otherwise it just gets scrubed with a brush with the rest of the bike.

If regularly clean the chain, it doesn't get too bad and will last a lot longer.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    I remove the chain, place into a waterbottle, add citrus degreaser and shake. Works well and is recommended by Sheldon Brown.

All that is left to do is rinse in water and lube the inner side of the chain.
  • Steam cleaner.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I use a paintbrush and toothbrush, and kerosene. Shifts basically ANYTHING, though it's very messy if you do it on the bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Most rides just brush with normal cleaner, every couple of rides into the cahin bath with citrus degreaser. Occaisionally off altogether and into an old plastic takeout container to soak. The containers are great, just the right size and minimises the degreaser needed to fully submerge the chain.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result