edited January 2009 in Routes
All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Train Glasgow to Dumfries.
    Bike Dumfries to Ae Forest.

Happy days :lol:
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Mabie Forest is four miles from Dumfries; Ae Forest is nine miles. Journey back to Dumfries station is a consideration. Mabie better with the former!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Fort Bill?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Aviemore could be doable in one day during the summer, but it is a fairly long train ride so I'd recommend staying the night at a hostel.

Also could get the train to Bridge of Orchy and ride through Glen Kinglass eventually getting home from Taynuilt Station.
  • It's also worth noting that tha train's can be a bit arsey about you taking the bike and I think pre-booking is also limited and not guaranteed
  • I'd recommend booking a spot for your bike, although normally you can get away without it. If you don't have a book they let you on fine, just as long as someone who does have a booking doesn't appear.

As far as I know trains on the Inverness line have room for 3 bikes, and the West Highland Line has room for 6.
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    perth and stirling have some good riding and theyre both within an hours journey by train. it depends on what youre looking for though. for purpose built and maintained trails there are those mentioned, but glasgow is surrounded by the campsies and theres plenty of good riding to be found up, down and around those.