Barmouth to Telford - Any route suggestions

shuckburgh
shuckburgh Posts: 18
I'm planning to take an early morning train from Telford to Barmouth and ride back - hopefully with a tail wind. I don't know central Wales so any suggestions for the route would be appreciated. Looking at the map I'm thinking of picking up the A470, turning north up Bwlch y Groes, picking up the B4393 and then the B4398 and B4397 to take me to the north of Shrewsbury and back towards Telford. Looks to be about 90 miles with a steady climb up our of Dolgellau on the A470 followed by a rapid descent and then a long slog up to Bwlch - followed by a descent back into England. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Knowing Telford, the question has to be 'Why do you want to come back?' :wink: Then again, knowing Barmouth, I see your point.

I hope you've got your climbing legs. Having driven to Barmouth via Bala and back through Welshpool, I'd recommend the Bala route for scenery alone.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Knowing Telford, the question has to be 'Why do you want to come back?

+1
  • A very good question. That will be because my mother in law lives near Telford - this allows me to combine a day out on the bike with a weekend visit - in short it gets me out.
  • Bwlch Y Groes from the Dinas Mawddwy side is one of those must-do climbs. 6 single-arrows, 2 double-arrows, and 900+ vertical feet in one horizontal mile. Post back here if you get up it on a double without walking! :D

If there's time, I would skip the A496 between Barmouth and Dolgellau. Instead cross the estuary on the rail bridge (small toll), then either take the Sustrans path (flat and scenic but no tarmac) or the minor roads through the mountains. The climb east from Dolgellau on the A470 is also kinda unpleasant, cut out the worst bit by using the minor road just south.

Jealous now ;-)
  • Thanks Mateotu. I had a feeling Bwylch looked like fun!! I don't do walking, but I also I don't do doubles - still that sounds like a formidable challenge.

Thanks for the advice on quiet roads at the Barmouth end - the bit along the green roads round Barmouth was one of the less appealing elements of the ride.
  • why not get off the train earlier, from Machynlleth there is a nice road parallel to the A487 to Corris, then either turn right for a cheeky climb to Aberllefni and drop down almost directly to Dinas Mawddwy, or go straight on and pick up the A487 to cross foxes, takes you to the 'top' of the A470 and one of the best descents in the UK to Dinas... i'd recommend either of those over the Barmouth section.
  • Thanks Mouflon

Looking at a map - that look's to be a great suggestion, but now a new dilemma - the amazing descent you describe or a quiet lane across the hillss. The original idea came from wanting to across Wales in a day, but I guess I could stay on the train to Tywyn for a late breakfast and the opportunity to fill my annual need to see the sea, then take the road to Cwrt to pick up the A493 to Machynlleth.
  • jp1985 wrote:

+1

Err you pair wanna try living in Wolverhampton :roll: I'd swop to live in Telford any day

:wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    If you want a nice ride I'd avoid the A470, it's a busy, fast trunk road.

Suggestion 1: From Tywyn go NE to Bryncrug, following the B4405 to Tal-Y-Llyn, then over the pass to Corris. B4404 through Llanwrin on the North side of the Dyfi valley. Looking at the map you could carry on up the u/c road on this side of the valley but I don't know what it's like. At Mallwyd go East on the A458 then at Cyfronydd, a few miles before Welshpool, take a Left onto the B4392, through Guilsfield and Arddleen. Less than a mile on the A483 then Right to rejoin the B4392 and take this all the way to Ford (near Shrewsbury) and join the A458 here and head for Shrewsbury.

Suggestion 2: go East from Machynlleth on the main road, at Abergwydol turn Right onto narrow road, then Abercegir, Tal-y-Wern and across to Dolgadfan. Turn Right onto the B road and go South through Staylittle. Just next to (before?) the viewpoint above Llyn Clywedog turn off for Fan and pick up B4569 at Cerist. Go through Trefeglwys, Caersws, Newtown, Llanllwchaiarn, Aberbechan before joining the A483. This is not a nice road for cycling so turn off a mile or so later at Abermule, go through the village and straight on at the mini-roundabout, taking the B4385 to Montgomery, then B4386 to Chirbury, Marton, Westbury and into Shrewsbury that way.

Then for either route pick up the B4380 inner ring road in Shrewsbury (aka "the old A5") to head for Telford.

Phew, time for a break!
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    broachboy wrote:
    jp1985 wrote:

+1

Err you pair wanna try living in Wolverhampton :roll: I'd swop to live in Telford any day

:wink:
    The original guy to make the point lives in Walsall. I'd much rather live in Wolverhampton than Walsall (even though I do live in Walsall...)
  • I have had a go at making a route on Memory Map, and I think a route from Tywyn would be the most pleasant and scenic; that is if you like climbing. I cycled from Craven Arms to Lake Vyrnwy and back in October, and it was a good route sticking to mostly B and minor roads on the way, main roads on the way back; if you are good with a map you should be fine finding your way (I just took a road atlas).

Anyway the route comes out at roughly 90 miles with... wait for it... around 10000ft of climbing. Follow the B4405 out of Tywyn, passing Cadair Idris on your left. Turn right at the main road as far as Corris, then take the minor road towards Aberllefenni and Aberangell (I expect it would be signposted - there is even a Corris - Aberllefenni bus route and you could always ask for directions). It is a forest road over hills, with two double chevrons in places. Left to Minllyn and at Dinas Mawddwy start the Bwlch y Groes (steep side, I think). Then right down to the beautiful Lake Vyrnwy and follow the signs to Llanfyllin, a little town with pubs etc. Then back to Shrewsbury along B4393... take B road to Telford through Wroxeter.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tywyn-to-Telford
  • I have found some pictures of the minor mountain road from Corris to Aberangell, for reassurance:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/750837
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/750830
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/750823

Looks quite scenic to me
  • Trickeyja - Thanks for going to so much trouble - well beyond the call of duty. That looks like a fabulous ride and the perfect big challenge for 2009. The forest road looks like it was designed with the cyclist in mind. A good surface, stunning scenery, limited traffic and plenty of ups and downs and twists and turns. I think I have my route - a tough first half with a gentler end to the day. Of course if I'm doing 10,000ft vertical I'll be duty bound to add on an extra ten miles to make the century. Guess I'd better get out there and start churning out the miles. Fingers crossed for an early spring, some reasonable weather on the limited days I can ride to work and the occasional weekend pass from Mrs & Baby Shuckburgh.

Thanks everyone.