Tyre Choice: Lhasa -> Kathmandu?

merra
merra Posts: 11
edited December 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice re: tyre choice (26in) for the Lhasa -> Kathmandu route? At the moment I'm thinking of either the Schwalbe Marathon XR (not sure which version though, 1.6 folding or 2.0 wire) or the Continental Travel Contact? what psi would you recommend?

I'm open to any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would always opt for Schwalbe over Conti - not impressed with their durability.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I used Marathon XR 1.75 wire, pumped relatively hard. The flashing barely got worn off.
    The unmade roads are relatively good, although there are corrugations (washboarding) and occasional lengthways ridges of loose gravel to contend with. I gather there's a fair bit more tarmac now than there was then (2001) too.
  • Hi

I didnt think the XR came in 1.75? Schwalbe dont have it listed: http://www.schwalbe.de/gbl/en/bicycle/t ... =Tour/City and I couldnt find that size for a recent trip; though there are marathon plus's in 1.75. Happy to be proved wrong, as the 1.75 XR would be my first choice too.

I did manali to leh a few months ago on 26x2.0 XR's, one of the other guys used the conti's. There was absolutley no difference between then that we could tell - though this was just over 500km, i've no idea beyond that.

I'd take the 26x2.0 over 1.6 unless you know the roads are going to be in good paved condition (at which point you may want to look at the marathon plus rather than the xr) - you're unlikley to notice a difference in speed at 3-5000m and the comfort wil be welcome.

Schwalbe have a bunch of new marathons for 2009 - extreme, supreme, etc, maybe worth checking them out (then telling us how you got on)
  • merra
    Thanks guys, that's just he sort of advice I was looking for.

So at the moment I'm edging toward the Marathon XR's 2.0 folding (for easier on-off ability) Now I just need to find somewhere that has them. Everywhere seems to be out of stock.
  • Merra,
    The 26x 2.0 XRs are discontinued, you might find someone with some on the shelf but both my distributors are out. I can still get hold of 26x2.25 in a folder but these are also discontinued.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I didnt think the XR came in 1.75?
    It used to
  • merra
    The 26x 2.0 XRs are discontinued, you might find someone with some on the shelf but both my distributors are out.

I guess that explains why I can't find any. Thanks for the heads up. So what's happening with the XR? Has it been replaced by the 'Extreme'?
    I can still get hold of 26x2.25 in a folder but these are also discontinued.

I think these might be a little too wide or will an extra .25 make no difference. What do you think about the Supreme's as an alternative?
  • julk
    julk Posts: 55
    26" in 3 widths appear to be in stock at sjsc.
    Just search for marathon xr on the site.