Scott Genius or Scott Spark for the South-East?

TonyWard
TonyWard Posts: 149
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for thoughts on this from more experienced riders please.

I am 90kgs, 41 years old, ride around the South East (Guildford to Dorking) and been mountain biking for about 10 months on a Claud Butler Cape Wrath hardtail.

Tried a full suss for the first time last weekend with a demo bike in the Evans Ride It North Downs event and loved it for the longer ride compared to my hardtail. I was about 26 minutes behind the fastest time for the medium route (25 miles) so not abysmal but clearly no pretensions to be anything other than a punter out to enjoy myself, push myself a bit harder and enjoy it. Not interested in downhill racing but like these trail ride events and will do a few age category XC races (but for fun as I am not good enough to compete at the front of the field)

Would like to upgrade and looking at the Genius and the Spark - though same dilemma would apply to equivalent bikes from other manufactures. I am tempted by the Genius but wonder if that is just over the top for the relatively limited terrain? Spark possibly good enough in terms of travel and that little bit lighter? Other side of the argument is that the Genius is only about a kilo or so heavier for equivalent model and more versatile.

Would welcome any perspectives.

Comments

• never ridden a spark, but they look a bit "racier" in their geometry to me ie. stretched out low racers position.

Genius more upright I'd have thought, so probably a bit more comfortable.

Extra travel on the genius means more versatile like you said. If fun is your goal rather than outright speed then I'd say genius.

Don't worry about the extra weight. You can probably just put some lighter tyres on and it'll have the same effect as making it a kilo lighter (saving rotational mass approx 3 times more effective than static mass)

Lots of other bikes to consider though, so don't get blinkered by the scott. You may find something that fits you better for a comparable price from another brand
  • I've got a Spark 30 and I love it. The LBS where I bought it from recon it will take alot of punishment. At 6 2 I fine the ride position at bit too over the handle bars for down hill stuff (thats going down hill not "downhill") as I'm going to shortern the stem abit. Comes with a decent set of wheels, juicy brakes I fine very good and positive and Tora shoxs seem up to most stuff I throw at them. At the end of the day I'd sat take them both out for a good ride and see what you think.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I'd go for a Spark - if you've been fine on a hardtail so far then the Spark sounds like all you need. The Genius is a fair bit of bike!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • TonyWard
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. One follow up - do you think the Spark has any other advantage apart from the obvious one that it is lighter?
  • TonyWard wrote:
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. One follow up - do you think the Spark has any other advantage apart from the obvious one that it is lighter?

Probably not. At the end of a long ride though, you might appreciate the extra kilo or two less.

My first full susser was a Spark 30 after riding hardtails for years. But even with this bike, the weight difference was quite a shock at first. Jumping straight onto a full-blooded all mountain bike might be a tad too much.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    TonyWard wrote:

Different geometry - steeper than the Genius. It's still fairly relaxed for an XC bike but it will climb better than the Genius because of this. I just think that the Genius' potential won't be relased by the type of riding you describe.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • TonyWard
    Thanks for all the advice guys - very helpful and much appreciated.

Upshot is that I went for a test ride on a Genius and loved it and as an opportunity came to buy one second hand privately in an XL size I have gone with that. Bit heavier than the Spark but swing factors were;

1. the remote lockout lets you make it either part travel or hardtail anyway

2. while I'm sure you are right that a Spark is fine for my normal riding the Genius will let me do more and encourage me to do more - e.g. I already rode down a staircase for the first time!

3. it is 3-4lb lighter than my current hardtail anyway!

Can't wait until the weekend for my first proper ride on it.
  • eimart
    eimart Posts: 52
    Hello Tony, im in the same dillema that you were, i dont know if i choose the Genius 910 or the Spark 910. My main objective is XC, Single Tracks and Competitions. I read in a lot of places that for Race spark is better but for exemple for single track Genius is a better and faster in single tracks. I dont know what bike to choose. Are you enjoying the Genius ? The competitions that i participate are single tracks + xc + roads so i dont know if i go for speed (spark) or for trail (genius). Thank you very much.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I took a Genius out a couple of years ago round there and was really impressed (normally more of a Spark sort of rider). It was very sprightly, in fact I think I preferred it to the Spark frankly. Had to use the TracLoc a lot to get the most out of it, but was able to just leave it in the big ring and sprint up stuff out the saddle, which felt a bit strange on a 6" travel bike. Good choice.