Touring America

ben_davies66
ben_davies66 Posts: 21
edited December 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am in the early stages of planning a cycle tour across N. America for next summer. My plan is to travel east to west mainly following the trans-am trail but taking a diversion near the end so that I finish in San Francisco. I will be travelling solo doing 60-80 miles/day, carrying my kit and camping along the way. I have been cycling for a good few years but this will be my first proper tour so as you can imagine I have a lot of questions! For the trip I will have to buy a new bike as my current road bike cannot take panniers etc so I was wondering whether I should buy a bike when I travel out to the US for the tour or buy one now while I’m in the UK. This may seem a stupid question but my reasoning for thinking of buying a bike out in the US is that the cost to ship a bike out with me seems to be very expensive… Also if anyone has any recommendations on good touring bikes to check out it would be much appreciated, my budget is around £600-700

Also if anyone has any essential tips or links I would love to hear about them!

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Check out the Adventure Cycling Association's routes and website.

I'd advise some shorter tours before you go for the big one.

Buying a bike over there could work out - though it's a bit of a gamble as you'll then be stuck with it.. You might want to take your own saddle with you.

The Surly Long Haul Trucker seems to be the bike of choice among US tourers.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Check out the Adventure Cycling Association's routes and website.

I'd advise some shorter tours before you go for the big one.

Buying a bike over there could work out - though it's a bit of a gamble as you'll then be stuck with it.. You might want to take your own saddle with you.

The Surly Long Haul Trucker seems to be the bike of choice among US tourers.
  • raybo
    raybo Posts: 87
    edited December 2008
    This page has 302 links to information about bike touring in the US. Obviously, not all of them will be of interest to you but many will be.

As for buying a touring bike in the US, I wouldn't assume that you can walk into a local bike shop and walk out with a touring bike here in the US. Unless you plan to spend a bit of time finding, buying, and then getting your bike, you will need to have arranged for it before you get here.

The good news of bringing one with you is that you can be sure that all your gear fits on the bike. Without having the bike beforehand it seems a bit of a crap shoot to think that it would all fit together.

If you are taking the Trans Am to San Francisco, you will likely follow the ACA Western Express route that goes through the deserts of Nevada on the "Loneliest Road in America." Be sure you are well prepared for this before attempting it. Timing is critical to this endeavor. This page has 4 links to information about the Western Express route (included in the 302 above).

Good luck!

Ray
  • I did this exact route in 2001 - much easier than touring in Europe/UK. Look out for dogs E of Old Muddy and very hot in W so start early May(as I did). E2W is against the wind (believe me)!

Cyclists I spoke to seemed happy to travel upwards of 80-100 miles to visit their "local" bike shop. I recall only a handful of bikeshops en route and most stocked MTBs only but 26" tires can be found in Walmart etc

Anything else just ask.
  • thanks guys for all of your replys sofar, has given me alot to think about. i must admit i didnt realise many of the issues with following the western express route so as i cant change the dates which i have off to tour (starting july) i think i may have to look more at just following the transam trail the whole way up to oregon.

also the general consensus seems to be that buying a bike out in america could be a bad idea so will have to look more at shipping a bike out with me. this does seem to be quite expensive so i was wondering if anyone has recommendations for the best shipping companies or airlines to check out
  • Dont write off the Western Express - it's quite doable though very hot. By the time you reach the desert you should be able to tackle any distance (no day is more than 75 miles). I passed thru CO/UT/NV in late June with temps 100+ but "dry" heat which I could cope with (more or less). I started each day at half light with 1.5 gallons or more of water which tasted foul by 1000! and I finished by lunch. Probably the most difficult section was the 125 miles between Blanding and Hanksville UT as the only resupply was a standpipe at Hite (no food). This was almost undrinkable but .....! Definitely dont bother with a filter there's b****r all water en route.
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    You can bring a bike over on most international flights as luggage. I'm going to be touring in the UK this year and I'm taking my bike on the plane with me from the USA. Take a look at the recent threads on

http://www.bikeforums.net

about flying with and packing a bike.

Also a solo tour of the US as your first tour is not the best plan. I'd do some week long tours in the UK as test runs before you attempt the USA. Remember the USA is not a country it's a continent and it will take you 60 days to cross. You need to have confidence in all your equipment, your physical ability and also your mental strength. There are parts of the West that a very remote and you will be a long way form civilization so you need to be well prepared.

Take a look at the cross US routes on

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com
  • Absolutely do it as your first tour. Don't do a nursery run in europe. If you want to do a tour in USA, Go West young man!!!

Buy a bike here, unless you want to spend your first couple of days shopping. I don't know about you, but when I'm on tour I want to ride as soon as the plane touches down.

I've done two tours now, it's a lesson in prioritisation. Important; Water bottles, tent/hammock, mozzy net(if using hammock), stove, pan, change of footwear. Unimportant; fresh teeshirt each day, underwear, lots of travel guides.

That's just a list with some exaggeration. I can't wait to see your pics when you come back.

If you think you're physically incapable, read any of Ann Mustoe's books. She's a 60-odd year old with no previous biking experience who took up bike touring when she retired.

Do it mate.
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    While I like Cycling Dave's enthusiasm and agree that touring across the USA will be great, doing it as a first tour without checking your gear out in anger is not very sensible. Buy the bike in the UK, test out your gear close to home, and become confident with it and yourself and you'll enjoy your US adventure far more.
  • sounds like a great ride - how long are you putting aside for it. i cycled across america back in 2005 Nyc - vancouver and then down to san diego. i would take a bike with you. get to know it over here and you will be much more comfortable.

i flew air lingus to nyc and they didn't charge me. in terms of a touring bike it depends what you want to do on it. if you fancy a little off road perhpas a thorn raven? if not get something light and strong, and with thin tyres so you can cruise those highways.

do have a look at my website for some tips www.thehungrycyclist.com and if you have any questions at all do get in touch

best of luck

tom
    The Hungry Cyclist

www.thehungrycyclist.com

Second helpings are what happiness is all about
  • thanks for all the replies. Cycling Dave i love the enthusiasm! very encouraging.. As I have no proper free time off before the summer the america tour is going to have to be my first tour. However I do see the sense in what Nun says and I will be upping my daily mileage before the summer but this will be through day trips. To be honest the fitness, camping, slumming it etc is not anything that im worried about.

HungryCyclist - I actually checked out your site a while back, it looks like an awesome thing that you are doing and I really am envious! In response to your question I am going to have about 3 months free, though 60 days seems typical for the transam trail. Its such a big trip though and im not going to rush it, I want to be able to take the time to enjoy the trip and country and be able to do take diversions whenever i feel like it.
  • HungryCyclist - I actually checked out your site a while back, it looks like an awesome thing that you are doing and I really am envious! In response to your question I am going to have about 3 months free, though 60 days seems typical for the transam trail. Its such a big trip though and im not going to rush it, I want to be able to take the time to enjoy the trip and country and be able to do take diversions whenever i feel like it.[/quote]

taking your time is vital - its not about the bike...

have a great ride and enjoy the food - american diners really know about road food. its all about breakfast!
    The Hungry Cyclist

www.thehungrycyclist.com

Second helpings are what happiness is all about
  • Like the LEJOG most riders you'll meet will be on their first (and I suspect only) tour and of all ages meaning mostly students or OAPs. Unlike the LEJOG the start (going W) is fairly gentle so you can ride yourself into some sort of fitness over the first week. But solid miles beforehand wont go amiss!
  • I absolutely recommend testing your gear before hand. I bought my tourer in the November before an August tour (my first). That gives you plenty of time to get used to the bike, mess around with the positions, get used to riding laden etc.

I'm a bit jealous. I'd love to spend 3months touring. Maybe some day.

It'll be awesome and something to look forward to over the bleak winter months.

Bike touring is my kind of holiday now, nothing else makes sense (unless I find myself a girlfriend though :D