why you should never stop

liveforever1982
liveforever1982 Posts: 78
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
hey guys and girls,
i got myself a giant terrago disc back in march 2008 and deciding i was gonna get myself a bit fitter and some biking. i live in carlisle cumbria,and found that the seven stanes trail centres were fairly close by so i chose to go to newcastleton,started doing that every week and started to really enjoy,then the inevitable happened i started to to not go as often one reason being i was using a pick truck to transport bike around and the diesel costs were killing me!! then i blamed thethe weather for being to hot,so my last ride out was back in august....until today!! pumped my tires up and went for a ride of about a 1 mile in length,god i've never been so out off puff in my life :oops: , so thats me now once again determined to get fit again over winter,only trouble is i've not got rid of truck and bought a polo but have no roof bars as of yet,so can't drive to newcatleton. anyhows thanks for eading my post,and tips for winter riding would be appreciated,think i'll enjoy riding on a cold bright sunny day than a hot sunny one.

Comments

• I so know how you feel bud only ive been out if it since around 2000 so ive got a long way to go before im comfortable/confident/fit on a bike again but its gonna be so worth it though!
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"
  • think it'd be easier for me to get on the saddle if first i didn't have to cart my bike down 3 flights of stairs as i live in top flat,then onto car,then drive 30 mile to nearest trail centre :cry:
  • I dont have any local trail centres round my way it was all biking down down B roads to villages just because they had mini loops or hills to climd/descend so still same there tbh id love to go to a trail centre at some point in the not too distant future but in the mean time im going to redo all my old routes i used to ride when i was a kid and hopefully riding through winter will make it easier come summer! :)
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Must be a right pain in the arse not living somewhere cyclable. Its good to just roll out on decent trails. Doubt many people will have stuff as good as the trail centres on their door step but I am certainly lucky in terms of location.

Although, you could perhaps try an create your own wee urbanish route, taking in local parks and any minor trails that are about. Could be fun.
  • i have been out of mtbs since 1995! i just ordered an orange evo 8 and i just cant' wait! bring it on. :P
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • Stoo61 wrote:
    Must be a right pain in the ars* not living somewhere cyclable. Its good to just roll out on decent trails. Doubt many people will have stuff as good as the trail centres on their door step but I am certainly lucky in terms of location.

Although, you could perhaps try an create your own wee urbanish route, taking in local parks and any minor trails that are about. Could be fun.

recommend me some places out by you, im only a short train ride away and im always on the look out for places to get muddy
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    Stoo61 wrote:
    Must be a right pain in the ars* not living somewhere cyclable. Its good to just roll out on decent trails. Doubt many people will have stuff as good as the trail centres on their door step but I am certainly lucky in terms of location.

Yup, Milton Keynes here, I've got Woburn Trails that I can bike to in about half an hour. I've also got Chicksands which is a 30 minute drive away.

Bring on 2009!
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • If you find anything worth riding in/near carlisle let me know- I'm just down the road in Wigton.

Luckily I work near Cockermouth and theres a few good loops round about and Keswicks only a short trip too.

I need to sort out some kind of bike rack too- pain the arse having to pull the wheels off my bike and fold the seats down in the Saxo all the time... :roll:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I need to sort out some kind of bike rack too- pain the ars* having to pull the wheels off my bike and fold the seats down in the Saxo all the time... :roll:

Keeps your fuel consumption down though - if I have my rack on my average MPG drops from about 37 to 33!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Aye but we're lucky Dave, we live on the trails and at least they're not muddy at the moment :D .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Stoo61 wrote:

recommend me some places out by you, im only a short train ride away and im always on the look out for places to get muddy

Carron Valley has been built up nice for bikes.
    North Third is a fairly scary cliff top trail that was featured in one of the big bike magazines a wee while ago.
    The Ochils ofcourse.

Infact take a look at this page.
    http://www.stirlingbikeclub.org.uk/ride/rootgyde/index.shtml

Oh and Stirling isn't so much home so heres a website about the on goings at Blairadam near Kelty...I havent been up yet for whatever reason but it looks like it going to be good.
    http://www.blairadam.com/blog2/
  • alipaul
    alipaul Posts: 12
    hello all

I've just started back Biking after years away , been in a office job for the last 2 years and needed to get fit again so i got myself a 09 scott scale 40 .

After my first ride out boy was i out of puff as well ,And my butt killed !! lol
    So now i've got some padded cycling shorts to ease the pain .
    I'm lucky as i live in North leicestershire and sherwood pines is only 45 mins from me so i'm looking forward to going there as i've never been there on a bike .

Paul
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    ha yer you guys are lucky!! ive got a tiny woods like 10 mins cycle away but the nearest proper trails are queen Elizabeth park whats about half an hour drive!! not even near a train station ='[
  • I live on the edge of Grizedale and have been ill for the past 5 weeks. this xmas has been busy for mtb'ers as everyone makes good use of the cycle to work scheme.

North Cumbria has loads of good rides. jump on the train at Carlisle and you could get off at Seascale and attack any number of good rides.

my buddies from work live up around Cockermouth but we choose rides all over the lakes to get the best of all the types of routes on offer.

Carlisle i in a good location for Dumfeshire which is on our list for this year.
    A bike is for life not just for xmas
  • there are no set up trails that are allways busy and you have to pay to get into where i live, you just have to go out and ride on the cliff paths and the woods where ever you can find really but atleast i have some really good dirt jumps right outside my front door.
    i dont mind that there are no biking centres its just there is only one dh comp a year, but still it gives me alot of time to train. :D
  • well i finally got myself a pair of secondahand roof bars off ebay, so i'm going to go to the seven stanes trails at newcastleton tomorrow as it's only 25 miles away from myself at carlisle.

only trouble is now,is that i could soon be moving from carlisle,down to the burnley/accrington area in lancashire soon,so will have to start all over again finding new loops to do. ah well never mind :roll:
  • S1eepless wrote:
    I live on the edge of Grizedale and have been ill for the past 5 weeks. this xmas has been busy for mtb'ers as everyone makes good use of the cycle to work scheme.

North Cumbria has loads of good rides. jump on the train at Carlisle and you could get off at Seascale and attack any number of good rides.

my buddies from work live up around Cockermouth but we choose rides all over the lakes to get the best of all the types of routes on offer.

Carlisle i in a good location for Dumfeshire which is on our list for this year.

The north face trail is brill!

I live near the penines so im quite lucky that i can be on the moors in 5 minutes :D
  • Hello Mate

Cheaper than roof bars & diesel would be nipping to WH Smiths and getting a decent OS map of your local area then spend half an hour or so pouring over the map with a nice warm mug of coffee before wrapping up against the elements and just getting out and exploring.

Trail Centres are great but there is lots of fun to be had on your own doorstep. I think you're lucky to live where you do - I live in Lincolnshire & it's not blessed with great terrain but I manage....

Good Luck! :lol:
  • Jboy
    Jboy Posts: 34
    Hello Mate

Cheaper than roof bars & diesel would be nipping to WH Smiths and getting a decent OS map of your local area then spend half an hour or so pouring over the map with a nice warm mug of coffee before wrapping up against the elements and just getting out and exploring.

Trail Centres are great but there is lots of fun to be had on your own doorstep. I think you're lucky to live where you do - I live in Lincolnshire & it's not blessed with great terrain but I manage....

Good Luck! :lol:

Wherebouts do you ride in Lincolnshire? I live just north of Lincoln.
    Cannondale Carbon Rush 4 08
    GT Aggressor 2.0
    Orbea Enol Team Rep