BMX bikes in Halfords?

dylanis27
dylanis27 Posts: 13
edited December 2008 in MTB general
I am looking at bmx bikes for myself.
The problem is that there arent many bike shops around here and halfords is the only real place other then toys are us but the bikes there are cheap and nasty.
The bmx bikes however all seem like there for kids 8 to 10 year olds well that is what they have given in the spec list.
All the bikes are different as well in store and online which is very confusing.
Surely its because there designed for kids where are all the adult bmx bikes or does it matter because all bmx bikes seem to have low frames.
There isnt any bmx bikes for adults or what seems to be for adults personally think might be to big for a bmx as am over six foot, but of course see all the x games lot with them and some of those guys are very tall, am confused really.
Ideally want a bmx with pegs, giro what are the key things to look out of given that am over six foot only just and quite heavy.
What should be remembering etc looking out for.
There isnt many shops around here just halfords and toys are us, also centerbikes but they dont do bmx.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Where do you live? It sounds like you're trapped. Is travelling somewhere an option via public transport?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    BMX bikes have minor variations in top tube length and geometry but generally they are all the same size with 20" wheels.

Inexpensive BMXs have Hi-Ten frames and robust (but heavy) wheels and drive train. As with most bikes, try and buy the best you can afford. Alan's BMX in Wigan have a lot of stock and are well worth a visit to get an idea of what a 'proper' BMX is like.
  • most of the bmx bikes sold in places like Halfords, Argos (and now tescos at £49.99!) are just cheap junk designed as a christmas present for a kid

you can get a decent quality entry level bmx for around £250 from any good independant bike shop or chains like Evans and Cycle Surgery - look for reputable brands like KHE, Mongoose, GT, WTP, FIT, Subrosa, Stolen, etc. also check out shops like The Source and Alans for mail orders

look for full cromoly steel frame, fork and handlebars, and if possible sealed bearing hubs and sealed bearing 3-piece cranks - if you shop around you may be able to get a 2007 or 2008 bmx on sale which means you can jump up a pricepoint for a lighter bike with better parts without paying more (as you would for a 2009)

regarding sizing, pay attention to the top tube length- this can range from 18" for cheap kiddie bikes up to about 21.5" for the longest street, dirt and skatepark frames

I ride a Macneil Whitton in 21" top tube and am just under 6' and its a great fit, if you have not ridden bmx before its going to feel weird for a while but you get some pretty tall guys (i.e. Josh Harrington) riding even 20.5" frames, usually for street where a shorter bike is useful

don't worry about the giro and pegs...they are a waste of time as you most probably won't be doing barspins and tailwhips or peg grinds if you are just getting into BMX

if you do find you want to start grinding, you are better off investing in some decent, light pegs like Odyssey's JPEG Lighter, and make sure you get hub grind guards (Gsport's Gland is very good) to stop you ruining your wheel spokes

most riders tend to use a "linear" brake cable for the rear brake which if setup right, allow a barspin or tailwhip without the back brake coming on, and then the bars are spun opposite afterwards to unwind the cable - the only riders I ride with who still use gyros are guys doing multiple barspins and double whips, in fact most of the guys I ride bmx with are brakeless....
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • Halfords used to sell GT and DK bmx bikes which are good (if built up correctly). They may still sell them but I don't know as I haven't been in Halfords for ages.

I was going to buy the DK Sixpack for about £200 but then bought a 24" GT bmx for only £80, reduced from £350 ! Well chuffed with it.

I'm only 5'6" but the GT feels more MTBish with it's bigger wheels. It's got a suspension fork and a front disc brake just now but will soon be fully rigid and back brake only for the winter indoor skate park sessions.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • So should ideally be looking for a 3 piece crank set and chromed forks and handlebars and the bike tube top bar length should be 21 inch ideally given am over six feet.
    There is diamondback bmx range which seem good havent the money for a GT they are not cheap.
    However will try and get something as halfords have handled the part quote for the old bike terribly.
    Brought a bike that was full suspension trax edge mountain bike within three months the cables went the pedal came loose will riding and the disk brakes are shit they dont work while downill it tried to get the price down from 150 pound for a bike paid 144 pound for to around 100 pound for the parts needed.
    To fit new crank arm ( 25 pound) brake cables and calipers for disk brakes 30 quid etc each already over 80 pound.
    Simply put the bike is good to ride but it cant be fitted with rim brakes due to lack of bosses and there isnt anywhere to bolt it to.
    Personally am annoyed but fail to see the point in buying another mountain bike with disk brakes that arent hydralic can of course but havent that much money and really love to go out and ride.
    At least bmx are rim brakes and see to be far less trouble, should last a while.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As many cromo parts as you can get - especially the frame and forks.

Be aware the BMX brakes are usually poor - cable routing being the main problem here.