Wales over Xmas break - which trails hold up best

mbnut
mbnut Posts: 155
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Wales over Xmas and will probably ride for 4 days.

I will have a day at Afan eithr on the way up or on the way back but i'd like to get up to som of the other trails but do not really want to spend my time trolling through mud so any advise on which trails hold up best in the winter would be much appreciated....

Cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Marin. Lots of rock.
    Penmachno. Similar.
  • mbnut
    Ok thanks, i'll give them a go, are they both in the Betws y Coed area? Is there a trail called Gwydyr in the area, i'm sure i.ve heard good things about.

How about the Nant yr Arian and Coed-y-Brenin trails.
  • I can vouch for Llandegla holding up well in the wet - Its north though near Wrexham.
  • mbnut
    Ay up.... cheers Dstroyer, i'm riding a 120mm travel full susser which i'm guessing will do the job on the black sections if you are nailing it on the crush (great looking bike) the timber sections look high which is ok but does it get skinny... that would do my heading in

Cheers
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    mbnut wrote:
    Ok thanks, i'll give them a go, are they both in the Betws y Coed area? Is there a trail called Gwydyr in the area, i'm sure i.ve heard good things about.

How about the Nant yr Arian and Coed-y-Brenin trails.

The Marin is in the Gwydyr Forest,close to LLanwrst,Penmachno is not far from Betws-y-Coed.The Coed-y-Brenin trails also hols up well in winter
  • mbnut
    Ok... well i've decided to ride for 3 days missing out Afan and heading north to ride the Marin and Penmachno one day with Llandegla another and then a day at Coed y Brenin. What is th best way to spend a day at Coed y Brenin, i'd rather 2 trails with no mud than 1 epic with boggy sections.

I'll be there from 28th to the 30th, i'm steady going up and pretty quick coming down if anyone is about and fancies a spin.

Any suggestions as to where to stay... a nice village b and b with a pub near by would do the job... cheers
  • sniper68
    Betws-y-coed has a few pubs/hotels and a nice atmosphere,Head for the Stables bar behind the Royal Oak,good grub/beer.Plenty of places to stay
    LINKY
    The Marin is more techy than Penmachno.Penmachno has more singletrack.Both have big climbs.Coed-y-Brenin has 6 trails.
    CLICKY
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    As it nearly always rains in North Wales :roll:, the trail centres are designed accordingly and generally don't tend to get boggy even in the harshest conditions.

As ibbo has suggested, Betws Y Coed would seem a good place to stay as there is loads of accomodation there and it is central to all of the trails that you have mentioned.

If you want a quick blast at CYB I would recommend the MBR. For a longer ride, try the beast but be warned its tough!

Penmachno has two loops. Loop 1 is the main loop but half way round you have the option of adding loop 2 to the ride. Personally I don't think I could do Penmachno 1 & 2 and the Marin in the same day but that's just me.

Llandegla on the other hand is fairly easy. You could easily do both the black and blue routes in half a day. Not many people ride it but the blue route is actually quite good fun!

If you are feeling adventurous you could even tackle Snowdon one day!

Might be up for meeting up on either the 29th or 30th.

Stu
  • mbnut wrote:
    Ay up.... cheers Dstroyer, i'm riding a 120mm travel full susser which i'm guessing will do the job on the black sections if you are nailing it on the crush (great looking bike) the timber sections look high which is ok but does it get skinny... that would do my heading in

Cheers

Thanks nut! :D
  • mbnut
    Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm booked into my digs and i've been reading up and it seems that Penmachno is now about 30 k long so i am thinking that i may have to drop Llandegla.

My plan is to arrive on the 27th and have a few beers in Betws Y Coed, then on the 28th head to Llandegla if i'm not hung over and on to the Marin... if i'm worst for wear then just the Marin. Back for food and more beer and then on the 29th i'll do Penmachno (both loops) and then probably see how i feel but probably head back for some more beer and on the 30th i'll go down to Coed y Brenin and see what appeals to me, maybe Temptiwr followed by MBR.

What i can't find is a map for Penmachno, is it well signed as getting lost tends to spoil a ride...

Stu i am happy for you to join me any day that suits, like i say i'm steady on the climbs and i can hold my own on the single and techy bits. I think Penmachno sounds like it maybe the highlight of the trip.

Once again thanks for your help
  • sniper68
    Marin-Follow the blue marker boards
    Penmacho-red marker posts
    C-Y-B various colours on posts

Very easy to follow.
    Be aware that the trailhead at Penmachno is difficult to find!!Go through Penmachno village passing the Eagle Pub(on your right)go out of the village after 1/2 mile theres a layby and forestry road off to your right,go up the road to a lay by..Park here!!Continue up the forestry road and trail starts where it turns right.
  • Agree with the above recommendations. Depends on which way you are driving, but I would normally do Llandegla on the way in or back home as it is a fair drive from Betws.

Another really good short option is the Climax trail near Machynleth. Its about 30mins from CyB and has an amazing final descent - about 3km. Good in wet weather too. There is no trail centre (cafe etc.), but the town with pubs is just around the corner.
  • Stu 74
    Sounds like a good plan you have there!

Yes might well meet up on either the 29th or 30th!

While Penmachno is way marked I would recommend taking a map just incase you get into difficulties and need a quick route back.

If you PM me with your e mail address I can mail you some maps.

Stu
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Should find all you need to know here mate.

www.mbnw.co.uk

Places to stay, eat and ride in North Wales.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • mbnut
    Hi Stu

I tried to PM you but no idea if it worked so will try again... the maps for Penmachno would be good.

I see that the guys in Wales are riding CyB on the 27th, I just can't make that one which is a shame.

Cheers
  • Stu 74
    Not received a PM but anyway all the Penmachno maps you need can be found here....

http://northwalesmtb.proboards85.com/in ... thread=284

and here.......

http://www.dilan4.com/beics/dolen1a.htm

Remember that you have to drive all the way through the village to get to the trail head. Don't follow the brown bike sign that is in the village!

Stu
  • mbnut
    Thanks everyone for your help and advise.

Basically had amazing weather and a bloody good time.

Penmachno was very icy on the traverse and loop 2 but great all the same.

once again guys thanks alot...

I'll be back soon

Cheers
  • Stu 74
    Glad you enjoyed yourself mbnut!

You certainly picked a good week weather wise (if a little cold). Which trails did you tackle in the end, what did you think of them and what was your favourite?!

Stu
  • mbnut
    I did Tarw and MBR at Coed y brenin in a day.... boyh great and actually quite different.... a cracking day...

Then i did Penmachno and that was hard, long with both loops and some major ice but the whole day was helped along by th great people i met on th brillant trails... i loved it

Then i went to Coed Llandegla and i have to say that it was such good fun... once again added to by the terrific people i met on my way round....

As to which was best its impossible to say, each offered something different and every on was thoroughly enjoyable in its own right.... a cop out i know..... but true.

What i would say is that if you are thinking about going to any of the above just go for it... you will love every minute......

Hey Stu thanks for your hlp and i will be back fairly soon and will give you a shout so that we can maybe ride together... i also have the welsh mtb boys website now and will try to link up with them...

Cheers