Degreaser

ross_mcculloch
ross_mcculloch Posts: 478
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
At what stage in the washing process should you use it and on what parts of the bike?

Also...what's a good one to buy?

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Gunk

Big aerosol £4.99 from Halfrauds.

Spray it liberally round the chain, sprockets, chainset and derailleurs, work it in with a stiff brush and then rinse off.

I usually do it as the first bit of my bike-cleaning routine.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Hi Ross,

I use Fenwicks (supposedly good for the paintwork, some are quite corrosive?) as you can make up quite a few litres of the suff. Pretty much the same as Dave give everything a good soaking and clean from there!

Goose
    Ride : 09 Trek Fuel EX 8
  • gunk is good you spray it on first to loosen the dirt and grime. then wash the bike.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Muck Off or Hope Sh1t Shifter for me. Spray all overall, scrub and quickly rinse off.

Halfords citrus degreaser for use in my chain cleaning tool.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Thanks guys.

What other products do you use during the washing/lube process?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If the bike's very muddy I hose it down first then spray Muc-Off all over and use a soft brush then hose it down again. I'll then clean the chain and use spray degreaser on the mechs and cassette if they need it then use a sponge + car shampoo all over then hose it down again. After that I use kitchen paper to dry the shiny bits + bearings and gt85 the chain to get the water out (i'll lube it properly later on).
  • No chemicals, just steam. Works better than anything.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I use gunk for a degreaser, but it's not an everyday cleaner... Oh, and watch out if you have a tarmac driveway/garage floor, it'll dissolve it! Excellent stuff.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I use Fenwicks too- get loads for ya £££.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    this is the dogs danglies:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-Litre-Virosol-C ... dZViewItem

look locallly see if you can get it cheaper. diluted 10:1 it strips the kak off a cassette and chain in no time.

200:1 is a good general purpose cleaner the wife would be happy with!
  • JA27
    JA27 Posts: 23
    Elbow Grease Multi purpose de-greaser from Yorkshire Trading company for anyone oop north, 95p for a big bottle works like a charm!
  • That Virosol on eBay looks a good bet, wonder if it's ok on bikes?

I'm currently using muck-off, less than impressed with it.
  • Northwind
    If you're trying to use Muc-Off as a degreaser you won't be impressed, it's a detergent cleaner, degreasers are a lot more powerful and specific. But it's a very good cleaner.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • What bits of the bike should you use degreaser on and which bits are a no-go area?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Avoid degreaser in places with bearings (headset, hubs, BB, suspension pivots), unless ofc you're stripping those and regreasing them after.
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    That Virosol on eBay looks a good bet, wonder if it's ok on bikes?

I'm currently using muck-off, less than impressed with it.

Works wonders on bikes - I use it after finding info already on here. Its citrus-based and not harmful to the environment.

The stuff will last you about 3 years!

I use mine neat on the cassette/chain with a toothbrush and chain bath,I get a mirror like finish like new after about 30secs scrubbing. and diluted right down (150-200:1) for general washing the bike - works a treat!!

As a matter of caution I dont spray my exposed fork sections with it incase of ingress into the housing - other than that, its fine.

Ive got a 3l pump bottle (also on Ebay) with diluted Virosol in to soak the bike with before hosing off.

Best £10 - £15 you'll spend I guarantee it - Ive got 2.5l left after having it a year AND giving bottles of it to mates!!

The stuff is classed as a multi purpose cleaner, but I think it came to light in the car cleaning community as it brings alloys up a real treat.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Purchased some of the Virosol, let's see how it cleans the bike now!
  • yep, i might have a look cos i cannot be bothered paying a rip-off price for basically just a degreaser with a sticker on

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Can the virosol be used for cleaning brakes as well?
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    Brake and Clutch cleaner makes a nifty "localised" or parts degreaser. I say "localised" as it's best left to small parts, ideally removed from the bike, and as it comes in aerosol only, gets somehwat expensive £/ml when compared to (comparatively less effective) degreasers like Fenwicks, Gunk etc.
    Just keep it away from bottom brackets, hubs etc, as it wil eek its way in past seals and will melt away grease like nothing else.
  • Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    Is this the gunk stuff everyone is on about?

http://www.gunk.eu.com/html/products/731.html
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • Northwind
    Yup. If you can find old stock, it used to be better, but some of the chemicals were banned :shock: It no longer eats tarmac quite as effectively :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mattbot2
    Northwind wrote:
    Yup. If you can find old stock, it used to be better, but some of the chemicals were banned :shock: It no longer eats tarmac quite as effectively :lol:

My sabotage plan is ruined! ;)
    2q2kfno.png
  • Northwind wrote:

:lol: That would mess up a roadies day pretty well, get a litre of it and throw on the road

Yukon Lad :D
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Northwind
    Like an ACME Portable Hole :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mattbot2
    Yukon Lad wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

:lol: That would mess up a roadies day pretty well, get a litre of it and throw on the road

Yukon Lad :D

Bah, that's the wimpy way.

Get like 100 cans of it in the middle of a road, then throw a lit molotov at them.
    2q2kfno.png
  • Mattbot2
    I'm in need of something to clean the bike with too.

Not sure what to get, has to be available locally as I'm riding tomorrow and going to get verrry muddy.

From the looks of things, Gunk aerosol degreaser for the chain, cassette and derailers, then muc off or similar for cleaning the frame / other bits?
    2q2kfno.png
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    [/quote]

Bah, that's the wimpy way.

Get like 100 cans of it in the middle of a road, then throw a lit molotov at them.[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yukon Lad :lol:

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008