Fell off carbon bike.Do I have to have it checked?

antfly
antfly Posts: 3,276
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
HI, I fell off my new carbon bike today for the first time when I hit ice at a junction.It wasn`t the worst fall ever,I just lost a bit of skin from elbow and knee and i should make a full recovery :D but i have heard that if you fall off a carbon bike you should have it checked for cracks before riding it.Is this really neccessary or is it just fussing?The only visible damage is a scratch on the brake lever and dirty bar tape.
Smarter than the average bear.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited December 2008
    No it should be fine.

I've crashed my carbon plenty of times, and it's fine. A sideways fall just scratches the shifters and maybe the rear mech and perhaps bends the rear mech hanger, but your legs will protect the rest of the frame.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • antfly
    Thanks reddragon.That`s what I wanted to hear.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    antfly wrote:
    Thanks reddragon.That`s what I wanted to hear.

No he's quite wrong, the bike's ruined. I'll take it off your hands for a tenner :lol:
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    What tits? :shock:
  • No it should be fine.

I've crashed my carbon plenty of times, and it's fine. A sideways fall just scratches the shifters and maybe the rear mech and perhaps bends the rear mech hanger, but your legs will protect the rest of the frame.

:lol:

I love that bit. Tear my body to bits, but don't let the frame touch the floor!!

I have myself slid along on my arse while consciously keeping the bike up from the tarmac. :cry:
    Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Yup I use my body to protect the bike. Scratches heal, bikes don't. If you know you're going to come off try and come off on the left to protect the rear derailer.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • antfly
    When you come off on ice it happens very quickly.The good thing about coming off on ice is it`s nice and smooth and you just slide along and the bike doesn`t get much damage.I came off to the right this time but last week I came off my mtb to the left.I`m not sure which side I prefer but at least my scratches are symmetrical now. :(
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    2Fast4Love wrote:
    No it should be fine.

:lol:

I love that bit. Tear my body to bits, but don't let the frame touch the floor!!

I have myself slid along on my ars* while consciously keeping the bike up from the tarmac. :cry:
    That's right, protect your bike with your life :lol:
  • No it should be fine.

I fell off mine the other day and although my body took most of the impact along with the brake calipers, I found a nasty looking crack about 1 - 2 inches in length along to top tube.
    I took it back to the shop as the bike is only 4 months old, only for the bike shop to say "there is no way of knowing wether the top tube has split, of if it was just a crack in the paint when the bike flexed under the stress of the fall".
    The bit that really p***ed me off was that they couldnt get me out of the shop quick enough and tried to tell me that if they were me they would carry on riding the bike.
    There was no " lets have it for a day or two to check it over for you" it was as if they've had my money now **** off.
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    You normally have to pay something like a fiver for them to give it proper check.
  • To be told the previous day, when I rang the shop they said that the bike would be sent back to the main uk suppliers to be checked out, but that never materialized.
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If you have a crack 1 to 2" in length, you should be able to tell. You should be able to noticeably flex the tube at that point
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I took it out for a ride a day or two after the accident, the bike seemed fine. I didnt hear any strange noises coming from the frame as someone else said that would be another tell tale sign.
    Ive just tried to flex the tube and the frame seems to be as solid as ever. So Im guessing that its only the paint/laquer that has the crack in it.
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
  • To be on the the safe side, I'd stick the bike on Ebay and buy something else.

Only joking. Put some Gaffer tape around the tube and you'll be fine.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • Its gaffer tape, or do I go the the expence of getting it repaired?
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
  • antfly
    Expence?Is that something that used to be money?