Spain and Portugal

hisoka
hisoka Posts: 541
edited December 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,
Looking towards doing a tour, mostly to visit a friend in Portugal. Doing it as much on the cheap as possible but wanting to go from Alicante through to Portugal and back.
Might have to be late on in May due to work restrictions, and I have not planned times or anything yet as in initial stages.
Mostly posting to ask if anyone rides/has ridden in Spain, central and south really as cutting across, and what it is like? And wild/stealth/free camping any good for the country?
Same with Portugal, but since I think from what limited routes I have made I might be able to get from spain through to the place I am going in a day or most two I could look to a campsite at the middle point aka person's I am going to visit.
Any information would be greatly accepted or advice, advice is always good too.
"This area left purposefully blank"
Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)

Comments

• Where in Portugal? You won't get to Portugal in a day from Alicante. What time do you arrive in Alicante? How much time have you got altogether for this trip?
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • hisoka
    Where in Portugal? You won't get to Portugal in a day from Alicante. What time do you arrive in Alicante? How much time have you got altogether for this trip?

Ahhh sorry I typed what I meant badly. Let me explain better, sorry for confusion from me here.
    I'm planning to ride across from Alicante, wild/free/stealth camping if possible the several days (I am not planning on massively rushing it) across Spain. I was thinking from the Spanish border I could get to Lisboa area (not got exact address on me at moment) in maybe a day or two.
    The amount of time I have, well I was hoping about 3-3.5 weeks for there, few days (not a week but maybe 3-4 days) with the friend and then back again ie 3.5 weeks really max time for round trip. Nice and sedate pace I was hoping for, I'm not what you would call really massively fit and this will be an adventure aka first longer tour as only really done weekends so far.

• hisoka
    Ok, on double checking. Maybe I got my border mixed up. Looking at 3 days across Portugal rather then just 2. Last time I check I got my maths wrong on the place I thought that was the border.

• Just roughed a route out from Alicante to Lisbon (via Murcia, Caravaca de la Cruz, Ubeda, Merida, Badajoz, Elvaz, Mora and Coruche) and the mileage is 1015km one way, although not a dead straight east to west route. There are quite a few mountains in between and you will find yourself adding mileage by having to go north/south to get to the next part of the route.

Even if you could manage 100km a day (I work on an average 80kms) that is 10 days one way and you will be sightseeing from the saddle only. I would prefer less mileage and more time to explore the sights along the way, especially returning when you should take in Seville and Granada.
  • The weather in May will be excellent for cycle touring, although once the sun gets high and you start climbing through the mountains you will sweat a lot. Also just enquire in a village if you can put a tent up for the night then you can enjoy the local hospitality. If not you should have no problem wild camping as long as you are well away from the public - there are plenty of isolated spots. Pitch late go early.

If you want to get a good idea of the terrain you would have to cross in Spain use the VISOR/Sigpac maps. Excellent for checking routes which are not apparent on road atlases. You can use the maps and see the aerials separately or superimpose them together. The detail is fantastic and all the information regarding contours, spot heights makes it clear how much you will have to climb in the mountains. It also helps in towns and cities where you can plan a route to get in or out easier without using the fast main roads or dual carriageways which are so typical in Spain. Useful also for checking road numbers on the smaller roads not shown on motoring atlases.

Just click on page to open and drag map to center cusor and zoom in. You get only the maps to start with and then the aerials come in at the larger scales. Tick Ortofoto (aerials) or topografico (maps) as required. The site also gives co-ordinates which you may be able to use with GPS, but I don't understand or use one, so I just use maps.
  • hisoka
    That is some great information thanks. I've decided to recheck my starting/returning places and might change my itinary a bit with the terrain and time available etc.

I might actually start in Malaga, to give me a bit more time out of the saddle and more leisurely pace with your suggestions too. Especially as this will allow me to see Seville on the way also, and depending on time route myself through Granada on the way back (well out of the way but I will know better if I have the time then I think).

That map site looks excellent, I shall definitely be using that to some extent I can see over the coming days.

• Spain is wonderful for wild camping, just toured in the summer there (bottom to top, straight through the middle) and I paid for accomodation only twice in two weeks. Great adventure.