Mudguards

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
Hate getting covered in sh*te so does anyone have any recommendations for something to fit a 2007 Rockhopper?

Comments

• Crud Catcher front and rear seems to work fine for me.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You can space it down a bit with foam... Or fit sleeves to the cables. Or I think the Cycraguard has this sort of thing built in.

Or, fit a moto-x style guard. I prefer these, they can look terrible but they also stop the much that gets thrown up and forwards (that's how your face gets manky, the mud goes up and forwards then you catch up with it!). I've got an SKS Shockboard on mine, it's flimsy but it's good. And I think it looks pretty good personally, though everyone else hates it :roll:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Odd - we have 2008 Rockhopper and the Crud Guard on it is fine.

Yes the cables do run "under" it but they don't foul anything.
  • Fitted a cycra guard which coms with spacers so plenty of clearance to stop the cables fouling. They are crossed on my bike, so the crud catcher fouls them. At best the cables are pushed up hard against the frame, at worst the spring on the mech's is not strong enough to overcome the friction....
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Then uncross them?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • I've just recieved A crud front/rear set for my b'day. (30, damn...!) Not sure if i'll use the rear much but the front fit's quite snug on my 09 rockhopper. The cables are also crossed but sit quite nicely through the channel that's on the crud catcher.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    wow crossed cables how odd! or maybe thats just me. cant you uncross them?!? ive just fitted a crud catcher to my bike today! haven't tried them out in terms of crud catching but it defiantly doesn't stop my cables working. if you have a prob try putting those foamy circle bits you always get spare with helmets in between your frame and crud catcher.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Could also try a Rapid Racer Products Neo guard on the fork, stops a lot of the airborne water / crud hitting you in the face if you get up speed.

The cruds are one of the best front guards out there. If you don't mind removing the cables consider putting some free floating outer over the cables where the crud guard attaches. USe the ferules to seal the ends as normal.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result