Help.... Snapped Valve...

poolieboydave
poolieboydave Posts: 20
edited December 2008 in The workshop
Hi Guys

Learnt a lesson today as to why I need a track pump!! Was a little bit too vigourous with my topeak mini bike pump trying to get above 90psi and I've snapped off the end of the presta valve.

I'm assuming I've got to replace the inner tube in order to replace the valve. I've got 700x28c wheels, do I just want any standard racing tyre inner tube or are they specific to the size?

And without sounding utterly idiotic, any tips on how not to do this again?!!

Cheers

David

Boardman Hybrid Team 08

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Hi Guys

Learnt a lesson today as to why I need a track pump!! Was a little bit too vigourous with my topeak mini bike pump trying to get above 90psi and I've snapped off the end of the presta valve.

I'm assuming I've got to replace the inner tube in order to replace the valve. I've got 700x28c wheels, do I just want any standard racing tyre inner tube or are they specific to the size?

And without sounding utterly idiotic, any tips on how not to do this again?!!

Cheers

David

Boardman Hybrid Team 08

Hey David I did just that recently. Assuming the same I replaced the tube only to find a couple of months later that you can buy spare valves for presta from most LBS, doh!

or better yet take them out of a old tube if you have one.

I've noticed that the presta valves need to be handled a lot more carefully when attaching your pump, it also helps to let a little air out before starting to inflate.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.