Cycling Club

RICH78
RICH78 Posts: 49
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
After coming back to cycling after a long abscence, I am thinking about joining a cycling club. I have identified a local club but I am wondering what level of fitness I need before I should join. I don't want to join and be made fun of because of my lack of fitness at present.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Just go for a ride with them, but leave your ego at home, that's what I did. Got dropped in the last 8 or so miles, but so what? Now I know what level I'm at.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    A good club wouldn't drop you if you told them it was your first time out (unless it was a chaingang)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I was worried about joining my local club too. The one I am at runs several different rides departing at different times and you choose the one for your level from the newbies to the pretty decent riders.
    I was advised to go out with the newbies on my first few times out to get used to group riding but I have now moved up a couple of groups to a speed that is more suited to my current level (about 22-25mph average in a rotating chaingang).
    I got dropped at the weekend because we stopped to regroup (after a bit of a climb) and I told the rest of the group that I would catch up when they moved off as I was still trying to put my gloves on. Needless to say I had a very hard 25 miles back to the coffee shop on my own as I couldn't get near the chaingang on my own after already having done 25 miles. I guess you could say that I was a little cocky and paid for it in sweat and misery! When this happens you just have to pick your self up and get out again the following week.
    Don't be worried if you get dropped. most clubs will allow for your fitness and not leave you behind unless you are happy doing that and can find your way home.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    A good club wouldn't drop you if you told them it was your first time out (unless it was a chaingang)

It was a chaingang, a pretty good one, as I found out...
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Why are people chainganging during the winter, surely you should be giving it a rest and taking it easy or is that just plain old fashioned.
  • guv001 wrote:
    Why are people chainganging during the winter, surely you should be giving it a rest and taking it easy or is that just plain old fashioned.

Riding in a chaingang is easier on everyone. you can maintain a higher speed with less perceived effort as you are working for a minute or two then having a 5 minute rest while you fall to the back of the pack and then repeat.
    I don't know why people are still going on about resting through the winter. The majority of the people on here are recreational fitness riders and do not do enough to need to take it easy over the winter.
    Unless you are racing and looking to hit a peak at a specific time I can see no reason in taking it easy!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    RICH78 wrote:
    I have identified a local club but I am wondering what level of fitness I need before I should join.
    You'd be best addressing this question to the club secretary as clubs can vary widely from out-and-out racing clubs to more leisurely cycling.

Our advice to people wanting to try one of our club runs is that you can ride 40 miles within 2½ hours or so - we wouldn't leave anyone behind, but you've also got to remember that for many people the club run is their only chance to get out and ride and nobody enjoys having to wait at the top of every climb for someone who is clearly out of their depth.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    i pondered this for many years before joining my local cycle club. Most clubs have 2 runs A & B - I was surprised just how 'un racy' the club was - most people just want to enjoy a sunday out - and are very friendly.

As a rule of thumb - I always say can you avewrage above 12mph - for 25 miles - if you can yoiu will be ok on a club run - you ride faster a group - lack of wind & more motivation are some reasons why. Give it a go ....whats the worst that could happen ?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,089
    Time is the issue for me, as I often work 5.5 days I find it hard to commit to meeting a bunch of men in lycra on a sunday morning!

I can cover the 35 miles to work in under 2 hours, so I "should" be ok in the newbie group, but if its meet at 8am and finish at 2pm, then I am stuffed!