Decathalon (BTwin) Sport 3??

medusa
medusa Posts: 15
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Hi guys, i am nearly 17 years old and am interested in buying a road bike to play around with. Now im spending budget is max 350, but realistically i dont want to spend much more than 320.

I have seen lots of people on here saying how they brought a new btwin sport 3 for 280 or 300 etc, but when i google it, the only results i get is

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/sport-3-34511777/

Which is £499.95!!

Where is everyone else buying theres from? Also judging by my budget, do you think this bike is good? I read the sticky at the top of the page and that suggested this one is best value for money.
Im probably going to be doing average trips between 20-30 miles for cardio and with friends although i am planning on doing the London to Brighton bike ride for the British Heart Foundation in 2009.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Comments

• hi Alex

Welcome. It's a decathlon own brand, so their price is the only price!

It look like either the price has gone up, or people were referring to the £300 Sport 2 model (similar, with alu forks rather than carbon). Are you sure people mentioned the Sport 3, and if so how long ago? I wonder if the sport 2 is the one you mean?

In your budget, I think the sport 2 is good value. There isn't much around at that price, and prices have recently gone up...The other option would be to have a look what reduced 2008 models are still out there, but when I had a quick scan all I could see was a claud butler on evans which is, in my opinion, lower spec (and more expensive) than the sport 2.

(people will be along shortly with further help. prepare to be told to spend more money. more helpfully, someone give better suggestions than me in your range...)
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I bought a Sport 2 LTD just over a year ago, 170 quid, but regretted not getting the Sport 2 at 270... Sport 2 LTD only had a standard double which being a newbie didnt realise was a bit useless for me as many 10% hills lol

Friend of mine was impressed with mine for the price, so ended up buying a sport 2 and has been realy please with it! Sure it used to have mirage on not xenon, and the xenon leavers are the only anoying thing to be honest.

I have riden some other bikes with more expensive frames, Tarmac Pro to name one.., and you can tell the difference, but for the cost its a great entry level bike!, 10 speed,tripple, cant go wrong really!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I bought a Sport 2 LTD just over a year ago, 170 quid, but regretted not getting the Sport 2 at 270... Sport 2 LTD only had a standard double which being a newbie didnt realise was a bit useless for me as many 10% hills lol

Friend of mine was impressed with mine for the price, so ended up buying a sport 2 and has been realy please with it! Sure it used to have mirage on not xenon, and the xenon leavers are the only anoying thing to be honest.

I have riden some other bikes with more expensive frames, Tarmac Pro to name one.., and you can tell the difference, but for the cost its a great entry level bike!, 10 speed,tripple, cant go wrong really!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • medusa
    medusa Posts: 15
    okay now that i have looked i cant find anyone who said that they brought the sport 3 for under 350 -.-. lol

Ermm, so you think that the best bike for me would be the Sport 2. (which model sport 2 though, as you said your LTD wasnt great :S )

Ive heard the Sport 2 16s is good (what does the 16s mean, is it just a model?)

Thanks

PS: sorry about the newbieness.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    16S = 16 speed/gears......

I've got one, used it year round for commuting and winter club runs and it's been more than capable.
  • I had the Sport 3 and it was €750, whatever that is.

It was okay but the wheels weren't great & the Miche cassette is a piece of junk (the teeth will chip with time). It's still good value for money. I don't have the bikes anymore...
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    i have brought the 7.1 sport for £250 -about 3 years ago - its not the stiffest or most exciting bike to ride - but it serves well as my winter/commutter - i doubt you will get much better for £300 (current base model)
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    i have brought the 7.1 sport for £250 -about 3 years ago - its not the stiffest or most exciting bike to ride - but it serves well as my winter/commutter - i doubt you will get much better for £300 (current base model)
    6288 Posts: 131
    buy a 2nd hand bike ... you'll get more for your buck and at 17 you'll outgrow/outride a bike pretty quickly anyway ... you can then sell it on without losing much (ie. about £50)as its already depreciated from list price when u bought it ...

you'll get a 2nd hand trek or speccy for £300 no probs ...
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    I got my sport 3 for around the £300 mark last February. It was in the sale, and I have to say, it's a grand bike for the price. I had a 7.1 before it, which was also a good, if basic in some of its componentray, by comparison.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    iv had 2 decathalon mountain bikes and both have served me well on all new bikes from decathalon you get 5yrs on the frame and 2yrs warrenty on every thing else there good bikes for the cash.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-2-42393914/
    £259.
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25457

What say you, to this?? Bang on your budget.

Oh and hello to all you roadie types. I don't normally post here so be gentle..... :lol:

Cheehee
  • You can get some decent deals on Ebay if you look hard enough.

Search Cannondale, some of those on there are generally pretty good.
    Don't rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are.
  • Might be worth sticking a wanted ad in the classifieds.You should be able to get a good secondhand Specialized Allez,Trek 1200 or Giant SCRfor this money.
    I bought my Trek 1200 which was 2 years old and in excellent condition for less than £300.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Sport 2 is now down to £259 so not a bad buy.
    The sport 2 ltd is no longer available as the ltd stood for limited edition
  • For the price I think the Sport 2 is an excellent buy. It would be a great bike to see if you want to get into road riding seriously though I agree you would probably get a better bike on ebay second hand if you don't mind a bit of searching. I got a 2006 specialized allez as a winter bike for £135 a couple of weeks ago, though admittedly it did need a new rear mech.
    If every mistake you make is a new one ... cheer up, you're making progress!