MTB in Isle of Mull

DoctorBobrick
DoctorBobrick Posts: 122
edited December 2008 in Routes
Ok, so ths summer I'm going to Fort William :D with my mate and my family, but afterwards we are going to the Isle of Mull, me and my mate are looking forward to romping round the island on paths and trails and up in the mountains, maybe making some jumps and drops somewhere as well, but is there any proper MTB there? I've seen a couple of adverts for an XC trail but I haven't seen anything really freeridey or downhill out there...

Any pointers?

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    There's a lot of non-technical stuff on the north of the island. Doubletrack is marked out by the Forestry Commission behind Tobermory and the views out to Ardnamurchan and Coll are spectacular. You can link up some of the bigger tracks - marked cycle trail - with narrow singletrack around Loch Frisa.The road round the island is hard to cycle because of the climbs and sweeping bends - and the narrowness which can be hairraising when cars approach. One problem with Mull is that the island is covered by three OS maps. If you only buy one, choose the north and try out the paths up to Ardmore Point and Glen Gorm. The Salen Forest trail is an easy route if you want a straightforward out and back circular from Tobermory. Then enjoy the fish and chips from the seafront van!!
  • I like the sound of the singletrack around Frisa, but the rest of it sounds a little on the slow side :P

Do you know of anything right up in the mountains in the middle? Even a random path will do, as I normally check on Google Earth if I'm looking for something like that but the image quality is terrible and there's a massive cloud in the way...
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    This site will provide you with route details. Please note there is another walking path, five miles long, up Ben More. Scary climb though.

http://www.mullgrandtraverse.com/route_01.html#