Should I give up on standover height?

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
I've been on the lookout for a new HT for a while now. I know the spec of bike I want and the price I want to pay.

However, every bike I try for size causes me problems with standover height. Best fit so far is the 17" Rockhopper, but the tope tube is still less than an inch clear. Serveral LBS have told me I'd be far too cramped on a small frame, and don't really have a solution to my problem.

For reference, I'm a little over 5'9" with an inside leg of 28"ish.

I've been looking at frame geometry on different bikes to try and find something that suits. I was most happy with the Rockhopper in 17", so have been looking for similar frames, but with better clearance.
The 16" Genesis Core is a close match for the Rockhopper, but with a shorter seat-tube, however I can't test one locally.

Is clearance that important, or should I just go with something that is a comfortable fit in all other departments and accept my freakish proportions?
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You need at least 2 inches of crotch clearance if your going to go offroad otherwise your going to end up singing soprano.

I think you need to look for bikes that have a long top tube frame measurement so you can go down a size for standover clearance. I ride an On-one Scandal and they have quite a long 23.75 inches top tube in a medium.

Have a look for frames that are designed for XC racing they are usually longer than trail bikes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Hmmm... In which case I really need to try one of the 16" Genesis' I think.

I did consider one of the On-One 456s, they seem to be very flexible in sizing. But alas, he's never got any in stock and they're a bit more than I can afford.
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    I'm a bit baffled as to your problem.
    I'm just about the same height/leg as you (+1in), and have a 19in '07 RH. And it even has the forx off of my Stumpy (giving me extra 20mm), and I have no problem at all with standover height.

Standover heights from Specialized.com
    07 - 773.3mm
    09 - 783mm

By that reckoning, the most recent model is only 10mm higher, compared to mine (with stock forx) - just under 0.5in.

Can I just check your understanding of 'standover'?
    It's when you are stood astride the frame, with both feet on the floor, and arse/crotch over the top tube.

Whilst the crotch on my trousers may just about touch the top tube when I stand on the ground, I have to bend my knees quite a fair bit before I'm actually sat on the frame. Which is how I know there's more than enough clearance for me.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    sounds like you need a longer framed bike, tried out any gt zaskars yet?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stand over height is of less importance when you have a suspension fork.

Top tube length and basic bike fit are what you should be looking at.

in the old days before suspension Standover height was very important.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mcbazza wrote:
    I'm a bit baffled as to your problem.
    I'm just about the same height/leg as you (+1in), and have a 19in '07 RH. And it even has the forx off of my Stumpy (giving me extra 20mm), and I have no problem at all with standover height.

Standover heights from Specialized.com
    07 - 773.3mm
    09 - 783mm

By that reckoning, the most recent model is only 10mm higher, compared to mine (with stock forx) - just under 0.5in.

Can I just check your understanding of 'standover'?
    It's when you are stood astride the frame, with both feet on the floor, and ars*/crotch over the top tube.

Whilst the crotch on my trousers may just about touch the top tube when I stand on the ground, I have to bend my knees quite a fair bit before I'm actually sat on the frame. Which is how I know there's more than enough clearance for me.

Yep, my def of standover is me, standing both feet on the floor astride the bike. On the 17" RH the top tube is about 1/2" from my (not trousers) crotch at best.

Sizing from the Spesh site says 750mm standover for the 17", which converts to 29.5" standover. So by their measurements I may be closer to 29" inside leg. But still a bit too close for comfort.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    in the old days before suspension Standover height was very important.

Does that infer that the fork will absorb the impact of my cajones on the top tube... ? :oops:
  • Sorry i have come in to this after seeing the the item on bike radar. Can i just say forget all the American rubish of stand over height, measure your inside leg properly and get a frame that fits going on the measurment you have from that
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    "and get a frame that fits "

Which would at first be done by measuring the standover height of the bike, then testing ones that he will clear. The frame measurement (ie 17, 19, M) has bugger all to do with how high the top tube is as frame designs vary, eg kinked top tubes, extended seat tubes etc.
  • Just go sit on bikes, I traveled the length of the country trying bikes (well I made time to go try bikes as I was up and down the country for other things). Before settling on a bike which by many peoples standards is mediocre, but it fits me like a glove.
  • Could your clearance problem simply be because you - er - hang lower than normal ? :wink:

Seriously though, if like me you have relatively short legs and a long back you will tend to have this problem. Picking a frame that's too short will certainly cause other problems. I would go with your LBS advice and get something that is comfortable to ride, and as long as you have enough clearance to avoid damaging yourself you should be OK.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • Could your clearance problem simply be because you - er - hang lower than normal ? :wink:

Marv

Lol! That's going in my sig. :lol:

I'm still looking. As you (and others have said) it's just going to come down to trying lots of bikes for size (or I may get a frame and build it from scratch).

From what I've been reading, top tube reach is most important and some suggest standover isn't quite that relevant, but I think a lot of it is to do with confidence and I'll know I'll be a lot more confident with a little more breathing space for my mojo.
  • My advice is to find a good friendly bike shop - one where the salespeople are actually riders.
    They'll help you get the right size and give advice about your needs, wants, rider skill levels and help you find the right bike for you!

I tried several shops before finding the right shop for me. I have to travel a distance but my preferred shop is Palace Cycles in Carlisle. When I was looking to buy a xc 3/4 years ago I visited them about 5 times and tried out different makes and models - they allowed me to actually take the bike out on a test ride so I could get a feel for the bike - I tried around 10 before I found the right one! _ I have since bought several bikes from them...

Geometry does really differ and you can read up all you like on spec sheets but nothing beats taking the bike out. My final decision was between a Scott and a Giant, whereas I liked the styling and look of the Scott, i opted for the giant as the geometry was roomier and more suited to longer time in the saddle. In comparison the Scott was snatchier and felt akin to a BMX.

My stand over height is slightly more than 2 inches but boy am I glad of it - the family jewels have been preserved a number of times when I've had the occasional spill!

Good luck bike hunting!
  • konanige
    konanige Posts: 115
    Im no expert but i am 5ft 10 with a 30inch inside leg, i tried loads of bikes back in 2005 and found that if i had plenty of standover the bike was too cramped. In the end i bought a Kona Coiler 18 inch, I can rest me nuts on the top tube when stood astride the beast on level ground, but i have never whacked me nuts yet and the bike feels perfect when im riding it, [of course now ive said that you just know whats coming next!]. Just buy the bike that feels right for you and enjoy it, I gaurantee you that you will whack your head legs arms butt etc, more than your nuts.
  • you have my problem! just under 5ft9 and an inside leg of just over 29 inches. Looking into 17-18" frames myself this time around after being sold a 19" with a 130mm stem previously. Lets say i won't use them again :wink:
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • It's a bugger isn't it?

I'm still no closer to finding anything that fits, though I've not really tried anything new recently.

Might drop in to Evans this evening and see if they've got anything new I can try.
  • i'm just at the start of it. I'm tempted to goto leisure lakes as it's the biggest one near to me & see how they fare. Haven't found much help from the places in Derby i've visited so far and this will at least give me some sort of idea. Plus I get to feel up stuff like a prophet full sus & dream!
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

• I'm 5 ft 8 1/2" with 29" inside leg and I ride a 17" Rockhopper (2007) - fits great and (touch wood) never had a problem...
    Cervelo RS 2010
    LOOK KG381 Team
    Colnago Dream Lux
    Specialized M4 Rockhopper Disc 2008
  • millmead9 wrote:
    I'm 5 ft 8 1/2" with 29" inside leg and I ride a 17" Rockhopper (2007) - fits great and (touch wood) never had a problem...

I'd say since that's as close to my height/inside leg as I'll find, i'll try that kinda size out. do you struggle to find good short leg jeans too?
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

• 17" 'Hopper was the closest I've found to a good fit too, but still looking for perfect.

With you on the jeans front, all of mine have tatterred hems where they drag round my heels!
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I had the same problem as you albeit I'm taller. I tried lots of bikes and found that the Cube and the Giant XTC's were the best fit for me. Both have good standover height for us with short legs.
  • D4N
    D4N Posts: 74
    Dito on the Jeans front.
    I'll get a 30" leg and still slightlly cath the hem if on not wearing my DC's
    I'm going to get my 1st bike very soon.
    Gonna pop into Triton which is 5 min down the road. try a few bikes and we'll see.
    Best of luck mate.
    Dan
    My other bike has an Engine....
  • I would say that on my GT I have around 1inch of clearance between the top tube and my nads.
    However, compared to the smaller size bike, i felt more confident and comfortable riding the bigger frame and have so far avoided having to talk like a 10 year old choir boy.... and i've taken a few tumbles.

It all about how the bike feels to ride, you'll never be able to choose if your just sitting on the bike in the shop, as its completely different when you get moving.

for me it was a choice between being cramped in the cockpit and having an uncomfortable ride, but with the knowledge of not having to worry about crushing my gentleman's region.... or having a more comfortable and enjoyable ride on a bike that I can throw about and play with easier, but with the slight risk of bruising my plums.

B
  • Tried a M Commencal Combi Disc earlier today (alas didn't have time for a test ride as was short on time) but had bags of standover, didn't get that feeling of straddling a gate like I've found on other bikes.

Cockpit felt a tiny bit cramped, but I think a marginally longer stem and/or sliding the seat back will save it.

Will go back for a test ride after my holiday.
  • Just to through a spanner in the works. I'm 5"7' and have 29' leg. So similar in that I also have stumpy little legs :? I recently bought a 15' rock lobster. This gives me enough nad clearance, but has a relatively short top tube. I thought this going to be a problem till I tried it. The Merlin guys actually suggested a shorter than their normal length stem, which I found gave an even better fit.

I can only put this down to probably having slightly shorter arms as well as legs than usual for my height, therefore reduced reach. We're all different. Just something to think about.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Cuban heels.

Alternatively... I just built myself an On One Scandal on a small frame, I'm 5'10 but with proper length legs and while I'm right on the tall side for it, it does seem to work well. That'd probably give you the clearance you want even with the 130mm fork, I think.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stubs wrote:
    ...I ride an On-one Scandal and they have quite a long 23.75 inches top tube in a medium..

Horizontal or actual? Last time I looked On-One's weren't spectacularly long. In fact, I doubt an On-One is longer than a Spesh for any given frame size.
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    millmead9 wrote:
    I'm 5 ft 8 1/2" with 29" inside leg and I ride a 17" Rockhopper (2007) - fits great and (touch wood) never had a problem...

I'd say since that's as close to my height/inside leg as I'll find, i'll try that kinda size out. do you struggle to find good short leg jeans too?

I Find that Next jeans are great for short arse's like us,the Short length is 29inch leg,oh and stand over height I don't worry to much,as long as the bike fits me when im riding I dont bother to much if my balls are scrapping the top tube.On saying that the design of most modern bike's help out with this, Slopping tube etc,my current ride a Giant Trance in a size small is a great fit because the top tube slopes.

Just ride. :lol:
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I am short legged and long bodied, I've found that a layback seat post sets me up nicely to be stretched out just right on the bike.

It was that or go for a longer stem, and I didn't want to do that.

Good luck with your search :D
  • Man I share your problem! (bike and jeans that is) I'm also about 5ft 9 with 28 inch inseam.

My focus is really on XC, I generally stay away from the big jumps :-)

Best fit I have found thus far is the Commencal Combi, the top tube is dropped quite far down, however the frame felt very heavy to me, so I'm not convinced.

Most comfortable other bike I have tried thus far is a medium (17.5) Scott Scale, but with no standover clearance at all, however, the top tube does look "impact friendly" :-). I chatted to a guy at a well know bike shop in oxford and he used to do downhill racing with no standover clearance on his bike, he said you just need to make sure you come off by falling to one side!!

Have you tried a small GaryFisher ? I would like to try one as the geometry on the small size indicates a 570mm eff top tube, which is about the size of most medium frames, however it comes with a short 70mm stem. Perhaps putting a longer stem on it would give it the reach of a medium sized bike ? But you never know until you've tried the bike itself.

My ideal bike would have loads of standover height and a longer top tube, looks like I'll have to sacrfice one over the other. As I generally do XC on the flats, it's likely that I'll be sacrificing the standover height.

Would be great to know what your final decision is.