Specialized tarmac expert 09

996JAT
996JAT Posts: 94
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

Anyone got the mentioned bike.

I have a Trek 1.7 at the moment, was my first ever bike but now really taking a liking to the Specialized tarmac expert. The shop owner tells me the 09 is much improved and at a price of 2100 it seems quite good. If it was Dura-Ace instead of UltegraSL then it would have been perfect but at the price its good enough.

Anyone got one as i cant find any reviews online.

Thanks

Comments

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    If it came in a compact I would get one
  • 996JAT
    Sorry for being stupid but i have a compact Trek 1.7 I thought double and compact was the same.
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    the specialized is a top bike. i have a tarmac, cant knock it. top stuff!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited December 2008
    Compact = Compact Double (e.g. 50/34)
    (Normal/Standard) Double = e.g. 53/39
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • 996JAT
    Thanks guys,

I dont think Normal and Compact would make much of a difference for a begineer like me with 700 miles on the road.

Specialized it will be then hopefuly. I will be looking in Feb hopefully i should get at least 10% off before the cycle to work scheme kicks in for the first 1000 pounds.
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    996JAT wrote:
    Thanks guys,

I dont think Normal and Compact would make much of a difference for a begineer like me with 700 miles on the road.

Specialized it will be then hopefuly. I will be looking in Feb hopefully i should get at least 10% off before the cycle to work scheme kicks in for the first 1000 pounds.

Depending on what the gradients are where you cycle it could make a big difference,surely? :wink: .
  • 996JAT
    I was told its would be better for hill climbing.

Am planning to use it for a charity ride from Vancouver to San Fran.

Maybe its just the shop talking for a sale.

Its gonna be better than my Trek 1.7 for sure.
  • Dont be so quick to knock the Ultegra SL. It is virtually DA 7800 with the addition of a couple of grams. For the price difference you cant go wrong.
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    The Trek 1.7 is a good bike already, 105 10 speed right? why upgrade so soon? could invest on a new pair of wheels to get more out of the Trek frame, and/or a lighter crankset? Get to know more about your riding style/geometry before going full carbon?

If not, have you looked at other bikes like the 08 or 09 looks and cervelos? i think they all have good reviews but i have never ridden them myself since they are way out of my league. don't get me wrong, i have always loved the specialized, i have been drooling over the tarmac since the 07 version but the 2009 look range is gorgeous too. the new campag will look good on all these frames too...centaur 11...yum...anyway enough day dreaming...

hope this helps.
  • 996JAT
    The Trek 1.7 is 105's and ultegra rear. Its never ever let me down.

I just kinda see the frame as quite heavy and thought it would make a good winter bike.

I'm using it now with lights, pouch and pump attached and its even more of a heavy thing now.

I brought the 1.7 basically because of the looks and the price, was my first ever bike and now 10 months on i just love the looks of the specialized tarmac expert. The only Trek that looks nearly as good are near the 4K mark.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Surely any decent bike shop will swap the chainset over when you're waving two grand in their face?
  • akcc05
    Seems like you have pretty much made up your mine on that machine, that very pretty machine...like i always say if you can afford it, go for it, everybody loves a new shiny bike...don't let an idiot like me trick you into doing otherwise. afterall getting the bike you love will make you want to ride more.

my evil side says: seriously, check out the look 09 range, i can't get over it, the 586 and 566 looks so hot it turns me on (http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/first-look-look-2009-road-bikes-17832/?mp=0)...oh and merlin cycles has a good deal on the cervelo RS frameset, if building up bikes is your thing, its a good process to go through if you want to get to know the components well and learn to maintain the bike yourself. i'm building up a full sus MTB myself.
    Lagavulin wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Surely any decent bike shop will swap the chainset over when you're waving two grand in their face?

Lagavulin is right, you can swap out bits and pieces like tyres etc at the LBS, mostly importantly the stem to get a good fit (or maybe swap the wheels for a pair of Ksyrium SL, you know you want to...)

happy shopping! it's x'mas!
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I like these bikes too and have been looking at them myself. I understand that there are quite a few difference in the 2009 frame - it is a lot stiffer and is apparently less comfortable than the 2008 one (according to my LBS). Specialized have changed the way they manufacture it too if you can belive the Specialized forum on Roadbike reveiw. I have seen a few reviews of the 2009 Specialized bikes and they all (the carbon frames) seem to be being reviewed as much stiffer. To me this implies less comfortable - but I haven't ridden one - I would suggest you try one out to see if you like it.

Good luck - I have also been looking at Cervelos as someone else suggests. I think the Specialized bikes all look better than the Cervelos (which look a bit dull to me) but the Cervelos seem to get the most amazing reviews.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • 996JAT
    I agree for looks, specialized tarmac sure take some beating.
  • I see you mentioned in your earlier post you would be using your C2W scheme to put towards the first £1000, if I were you I'd check the scheme terms & conditions. On the C2W scheme my company runs we are only allowed a maxumum of £1000 and we are not allowed to put any money towards it ourselves.
  • 996JAT
    Hi,

Yeah the bike guy said its ok, just give them the cash on top seperatly and the will change the pricing accordingly.

All bike shops will surely do this so just ask.

I swear the government have some stupid rules.
  • Did you say the LBS said a double would be better for climbing??

Compact for me and my noodle legs!
  • 996JAT
    The bike shop said that for sure.

I've got a compact in the Trek already. The honest truth is i'm new to road bikes, 10 months and i've never changed the front cog to the larger wheel.
  • akcc05
    996JAT wrote:

I've got a compact in the Trek already. The honest truth is i'm new to road bikes, 10 months and i've never changed the front cog to the larger wheel.

its good to mash on the big ring sometimes or are you being modest? not even 50/21 or 50/19? I'm actually thinking of getting a 48t cyclocross ring for my tiagra compact on my commuter/fitness bike so i don't wear out the 21 and 19 cog of my shiny ultegra 9 cassette.
  • pictit
    996JAT wrote:

Well,if you are constantly on the inner chainring and nothing feels 'wrong' about that in terms of cadence and it gets you where you want to go, I reckon,in your shoes,I would stay with a compact.Why change a winning formula? :wink:
  • 996JAT
    Winning formula, my average speed is 13 mph :lol:

I just like the looks of it too much
  • If your bike is compact, it won't be easier climbing on a double!

Will you be selling the 1.7?
  • 996JAT
    I'll be keeping the Trek as a winter bike. I'm using it now with lights and all.

I got the Trek incite computer, with built in fork speed trap, cadence and hr monitor strap. So its for keeps i guess.
  • pictit
    996JAT wrote:
    Winning formula, my average speed is 13 mph :lol:

I just like the looks of it too much

And the problem is :) ?.If your intention is purely to ride 'faster' then stick it on the big chainring and push harder or pedal faster on the small.Spending the amount of money you intend,on what is essentially a change to a 'racing' bike,will not,of itself,make you go any faster.Only more miles and more physical effort on your part will achieve that.Thats not to say you shouldn't buy the new bike,just don't expect it to up your average speed by itself !!

Edit: 13mph is 1mph more than I average around the Lothians where there are some nice hilly bits.I am 52year old [smoke too alas but hope to pck it in soon !!] and cycle mainly for the pleasure of being out in the countryside and also for 'general fitness'.I now run a 50/40/30 triple and recently changed from a 12-26 to a 12-32 cassette.I got up the same hills a couple of years ago on a 52-39 and 12-25 but it was not 'fun' :wink:.I don't very often use 30+32 but there are a couple of gradients on single track roads when that combination is pressed into service.I dont care what gears I have to use to get up a hill as long as it gets me up :)