big cycling clothes

heftyrider
heftyrider Posts: 70
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
just really starting out and don't want to leave actually getting out on the road until the weather gets better. Everywhere I've been reading says that having the right clothes in the cold weather is important.

I'm definitely not your normal sized cyclist and can't find proper cycling gear in large enough sizes. I've only seen up to xxl and some xxxl but i think i need at least 4 or 5xl.

Anybody know if such sizes exist?

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Don't know of any source but I have a similar problem - I have a 40" waist but I find most cycle clothing even XXL only goes up to 38"
  • Most cyclibng clothes are quite stretchy though? :?
    I must admit i don't have this problem however have you tried any?
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    i am a bigger chap and need 4xl. i have a lin wen i can find tiof a place that sells such size shorts. it is in the usa tho. i emailed them a while back and there more than happy to post them to the uk. they work out at abot 50 ish quid including postage

gona find the link now.

found it but just read your post again ya looking for winter stuff lmfao so maybe shorts are no good

any way

http://www.hossmtb.com/shop/index.php?m ... ducts_id=1

they do 4xl shorts

and if ya search for cotton trader they do big size joggers that are good for riding in. i wear them most days on a 14 mil ride into work. they keep me warm.

if ya find any sites ya self mate pls let me know as i am always looking for big cloths.

cheers Geordie (BFG)
  • XxxBFGxxX
    cotton traders web site hope this helps a little mate

http://www.cottontraders.co.uk/Default.asp
  • As a former big man the DHB range at Wiggle suited my nedds, don't know what my waste size was but at a height of 6'2'' my largest was 21 Stone.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    the wiggle stuff looks good but dont go up to my sizes. i am at the moment a 48 inch waist. weighing in at 23.5 stone maybe more lol. so its hard to find stuff to fit.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Try http://www.prendas.co.uk/default.asp, they do tops up to 6XL
  • XxxBFGxxX
    nice post mr hippo. bookmarked lol
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Hi.. dont get too hung up on right size clothing. IN 7 months I have lost 14 kgs and dropped 34 inches off waist- get something cheap as you will lost weight fast and then need something more um svelte. Already my undersized lycra leggings are now considerably oversized - so bear it in mind.. get miles in.. ut yes you are right, getting miles in comfortably helps a lot.

Look at it this way... your feet stay the same size as do your hands.. some some nice thermal socks and overshoes are a good start as wlel as some decent gloves... warm peripheries make you and keep you happy. Get a couple of baselayers and a couple of cheap shirts (Tchibo?) and a not too expensive cycling jacket and some armwarmers, which should suit for a while even if you do lose a lot of weight.

As for the lower half - I think one of the above posts is spot on... get something slightly undersize.. it does stretch... and then a looser fit will be your reward for all the effort you put in. If you do wear joggers.. get some cheap long johns.. like from uniqlo and layer up - a few layers will see you comfortable through the winder months.

Happy cycling!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • XxxBFGxxX
    agreed felgan i have already lst weight and it keeps faling of punds here and punds there normaly in the bloody bike shop on parts lol. sorry could not resist.

but ya right if ya losing weight dont buy expensive
  • Thanks very much for all the replies and advise.

Good to know others are breaking the backs of bikes as well! :lol:

Think I'll go with some of the stuff from Cotton Traders and long johns untill I lose a bit and invest in the proper kit. Some decent gloves, socks & overshoes. And a rugby baselayer.

Thanks again, you've all made me feel a lot more optimistic.It is doable!!

From one of the other topics someones brought back, these look quite good for the larger fella http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/tights.htm#tights
    $69.95 is about £50 just now I think.
  • Heftyrider, I meant to link that thread to this thread but arsed up but glad you've looked at it anyway, I got some cycle shorts (mtb style) from aerotech and to be honest they are a bit big, preferred that style to lycra second skin as I think you need the figure for it and I sadly haven't.
    Tarpaullynn
  • XxxBFGxxX
    the othe prob i get is i bend wheels lmfao wll till i got the DMR pro26 there pretty strong so far any way
  • Hi folks, great info on this thread, had a couple more questions before I commit my paypal account:-

Baselayers - am keen on the no frills idea of the Prendas Comfortec 1000
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... =22&ID=367
    I also like the price, but am unsure as to getting long/short sleeve. Also I'm going to be sweating a lot and worry a about the garments retention of smell. If I go for a fancy base layer with 'anti bacterial treatment' does this work? Have showers at either end of commute but currently am doing part of journey on train, consideration for other passengers.

Bottoms - my wife has questioned me going for tights at all, as she thinks I'm too old and out of shape, 42, 245lbs. She reckons I should just get jogging bottoms but, due to my propensity to sweat, I'm concerned at wrapping myself in material that will quickly become wet and cold. I'm also not sure re bib or waist and whether I should wear shorts over the top of tights, cover the bulges!

Midlayers - have an Altura Nightvision waterproof and am getting a very lightweight windproof with vents. So what to put between the base layer and the outers?

Have to say I find cycle clothing sizes depressing, there's me thinking I'll be quite trim if I can get back to a 38 inch waist. Any advice, tips, links greatly appreciated....thanks.....Al
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    felgen wrote:
    Hi.. dont get too hung up on right size clothing. IN 7 months I have lost 14 kgs and dropped 34 inches off waist- get something cheap as you will lost weight fast and then need something more um svelte. Already my undersized lycra leggings are now considerably oversized - so bear it in mind.. get miles in.. ut yes you are right, getting miles in comfortably helps a lot.

Look at it this way... your feet stay the same size as do your hands.. some some nice thermal socks and overshoes are a good start as wlel as some decent gloves... warm peripheries make you and keep you happy. Get a couple of baselayers and a couple of cheap shirts (Tchibo?) and a not too expensive cycling jacket and some armwarmers, which should suit for a while even if you do lose a lot of weight.

As for the lower half - I think one of the above posts is spot on... get something slightly undersize.. it does stretch... and then a looser fit will be your reward for all the effort you put in. If you do wear joggers.. get some cheap long johns.. like from uniqlo and layer up - a few layers will see you comfortable through the winder months.

Happy cycling!

You've lost 14kg ( just over 2 stones) - well done on that

But you claim to have lost 34 inches off your waist

Begs the question what shape are you that 2 stones in weight can amount to 34 inches on your waist
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666