Money Funsters

fluff.
fluff. Posts: 771
edited December 2008 in Campaign
Arghhgh, what the feck is wrong with people these days that they will casually attempt to kill someone with 2 tons of metal?

I know this is not anot new rant, but its the first time someone has deliberately try to run me off the road, and I'm angry and sad that people think this is acceptable. Background, I was half way through a 90 min or so run after work, approaching some lights with a left turn about 15 yards beforehand, lights are on red, some guy in an Audi see lights, sees me (I am the proverbial Christmas tree), decides to pull out right in my path anyway so he can sit at the lights 5 seconds earlier. I filter past a stationary him 5 seconds later, turn round and look at him, with a sort of `what was that all about?' expression. Lights change, we both pull off, I can hear him over-revving his car in 1st or whatever, he then passes me within touching distance, or rather he pulls next to me, drives my speed then slowly forces me into the gutter, I slow down let him past, and drop behind. He then brakes, to a standstill, no indicators, not turning, no obstructions in the road, obviously trying to get me to ride into his rear.

I unlcip, scoot past, empty the contents of a nasal passage onto his Audi and calmly fold his wing mirror back, I was angry enough to forcibly remove it, but common sense got the better of me. I then took the next left and didn't look back.

I just wonder what goes on in these peoples heads...

Anyway, had to get that off my chest is all.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had a car try to overtake as I approached a junction this morning, I was going right and therefore in the middle of the lane and stood my ground and made him stay on the wrong side of the road. At the junction a car was trying to turn into the road where we were. I cycled off and left them to it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I was turning right into my driveway a couple of weeks ago. Right arm out, starting to move towards the middle of the road.

I looked behind me and a huge people carrier is starting to overtake. If I hadn't learned the 'lifesaver look-behind' in my cycling proficiency lessons 20-odd years ago, I'd have been squashed.

I launched suitable invective and the guy did stop to make sure I was okay. He wasn't being malicious, only negligent; but it's cold comfort when the end result's the same...

The bloke in the Audi sounds like a complete spacktard.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Jeremy Clarkson said on prime time TV last week that if you drive an Audi, it shows that you are a "c0ck". The guy you met was probably deeply confused about his identity, having been let down by his mother in early childhood and now, again, by his "older brother" role model of cool, Mr C.

I suggest therapy.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Because the chavs all drive 3-series beemers the cocks have all taken to driving Audis I'm afraid. I nearly bought an Audi a few years ago, but because of Audi's appalling customer service I cancelled the order - that was a blessing in disguise!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Nuggs wrote:
    I was turning right into my driveway a couple of weeks ago. Right arm out, starting to move towards the middle of the road.

I looked behind me and a huge people carrier is starting to overtake. If I hadn't learned the 'lifesaver look-behind' in my cycling proficiency lessons 20-odd years ago, I'd have been squashed.

This same thing happened to me yesterday, unbelievably however, I was in my car! The state of some peoples driving really does scare me sometimes...

(also, it was a people carrier, in my opinion they have taken over the mantle of 'worst driven' from the old astramax van)
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Nuggs wrote:

That's the reason i always go round the long way to get back to my house- the short way involves a right turn off a drag-strip, where what happened to you, happened to me several times.

A short while ago, one of those speed radar things that shows your speed as you go past was put up, but it was a bit 'optimistic'. I frequently rode past it at 40mph :)