Front mech width

Gers Grandad
Gers Grandad Posts: 2
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Hope this isn't a too stupid question! Is the cage on a triple front mech wider than a double? I'm having a constant problem with chain rubbing on my Dawes Audax Supreme,2007 model with Shimano Ultegra -upgraded from a double at my request when I ordered the bike. My French Vitus road bike has Campagnola Champ triple,never had a problem with chain rubbing,and the 'cage' appears slightly wider.My Shimano does not have triple written on it,whereas the Campag' does!

Comments

• peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    The throw on a triple front mech is slightly morre than a double saying that with adjustment you might get a double to work. The actual cage width should be about the same .
    the cages of most front mechs vary quite a bit from new as they are not a precision quality part of the component.
    Front mech rubbing, providing your chain alignment is correct and you are using the correct components is likely down to the cage width . It can be tweaked a little to widen the gap .Don't overdo it though it only needs 1-2mm
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    The throw on a triple front mech is slightly more than a double saying that with adjustment you might get a double to work. The actual cage width should be about the same .
    the cages of most front mechs vary quite a bit from new as they are not a precision quality part of the component.
    Front mech rubbing, providing your chain alignment is correct and you are using the correct components is likely down to the cage width . It can be tweaked a little to widen the gap .Don't overdo it though it only needs 1-2mm