Great Yorkshire Bike Ride on a hybrid bike

Tino4444
Tino4444 Posts: 281
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the site and I am very new to cycling (8 weeks).

In June 2009 I am going to be entering the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride (72 miles approx). I have just bought a Carrera Subway 2 from Halfords which is running great so far. I have upgraded the bike so it now features slick tyres pumped upto 100PSI, bar ends and plastic clips on the ends of my pedals.

I am currently averaging a mile every 15 minutes over 20 miles on fairly mixed routes i.e plenty of hills and flats.

However, the bloke which I am entering the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride with has been riding on and off for a few years and has a road bike with dropped bars etc.

My question to you is am I in for some pain trying to keep up with him even if I train 3 to 4 times per week between now and June?

I know its the engine that pushes the bike (me) but do road bikes really make the rider potentially that much faster?

Your advice would be greatly recieved.

Thanks,

Martin
Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    4mph average? Are you sure?
  • Tino4444
    No, 15 mph over a 20 mile run
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    That all depends on how hard your willing to push yourself and whether your friend is willing to cycle at a pace that you can cope with.

The good thing is, you've set yourself a goal to aim for and you've got a decent amount of time to achieve it. I suspect that your capable of achieving more than the 4mph you currently average.

My advice is to set yourself smaller targets to start off with and then gradually increase the distance and pace at which you cycle. The important thing is to keep a steady cadence (the amount of revolutions you make with your legs) whether your on the flat or going uphill. Get yourself a basic cycle computer that measures cadence (it won't cost more than £25) as this will help you keep a track during your rides. To get your fitness levels up, you want to be trying for a cadence of about 70rpm or above, as this is generally seen as the most efficient way of cycling. Use easier gears to start off with and don't be afraid to change down on the hills. If you find yourself grinding hard your probably in too high a gear, especially if your on the flat.

There are some good beginners training guides available that can into a lot more detail, e.g. The Cyclists Training Manual, Guy Andrew and Simon Doughty (available in most bookstores).

The key to good training is set yourself achievable targets, dedication and a small measure of pain.

Good luck with your training and the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride.
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • Tino4444
    Sorry,

I am not averaging 4mph I am averaging 15mph!! I think its maybe the way I typed it in or something.
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    Good oh, you've got a solid base to start with then. One other thing in addition to what I've said earlier. Keep your bike clean and well maintained! It's a lot easier to ride on a clean well lubed bike than it is on one which has a rusty chain and a creaky bottom bracket. A lot safer too!
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • Tino4444
    Thanks for your reply.

Sorry about my post....4mph is that actually possible on a bike?? haha
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Cannot see any reason why the bike should cause any problems.....your friend may or may not be faster and if he is that may or may not be down to his bike!
    But the Ride is I assume not a race.
    I know it's shorter but I've done the 50 Mile Notts Bike Ride on a variety of bikes - couple of times on fixed, couple on geared atbs/race bikes and once on a slicked-up old Kona full-susser!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    I did the ride last year with my wife, dad & brother in law. We just kept a steady pace as we don't often ride together. It came quite apparent that me and the wife were better on the hills but we just sat up and waited for the other 2 on the flat until they'd ride past with some smart arse comment.

The ride is pretty easy with only 2 hills and I mean hills, the majority of people walked up them (obviously not me...to my amazement). There is such a massive variance in abilities and bikes on the ride, put it this way I saw a group of lads doing the ride on BMX's and the last quarter of the ride started seeing people riding in the opposite direction back to Wetherby.

Unless either of you are wanting to post a good time just take it steady and enjoy it. There's plenty of water stops on the way so you can actually break the 70 miles into 4 shorter rides.
  • Tino4444,

I am sure you can complete this ride on your hybrid. I have a 2004 Ridgeback Meteor (some would call it a hybrid, I think of it as a flat bar road bike), and have done rides up to 300km on it.

If your gearing is right for you, and the bike is set up correctly, your only real difference will be a higher riding position and the aerodynamic effect this will have. I don't thinlk that your position is any different to somone on a road bike when their hands are on the tops.

I agree with the earlier advice on building up your training gradually.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • Does anyone know the date for GYBR this year? I seem to recall there's some formula in that it's so many weeks after whit bank holiday - I guess the middle Saturday of June?
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    Tino4444 wrote:
    Thanks for your reply.

Sorry about my post....4mph is that actually possible on a bike?? haha
    Yes it is.That's me going up Holme Moss :(
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Tino4444

one bit of advice is if you want return transport get your entry in VERY early or you will be out of luck, get yourself back entries also sell out quickly. It is a great day out with an age range of 8-80 ( OK the 8 year olds will be on the back of tandems ) riders of all experience, drink stops every 10 miles and a good food stop half way, Set your own pace and don't get drawn to faster groups. I've done the ride for the last 5 years or so and it's firmly on my calendar. There are a few hills later on but just pace yourself and you will be OK. Get plenty of miles in and add a few hills and above all ENJOY.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Here's the entry website

http://www.gybr.co.uk/registration.htm
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace