Boardman v Specialized Allez

alanmck1971
alanmck1971 Posts: 85
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
I would like peoples honest opinion. I am fairly new to Road bikes

I am looking to buy either a Boardman Comp 08 from Halfords or Specialized Allez 09 from LBS.

I have read great reviews about Boardman bike which bike has the better spec.

I am in a bit of a dilema: I could go ahead and buy the Boardman for £440 or awit until next summer and buy the Allez in the cycle to work scheme.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What price do you put on not having a road bike for 6 months or so ?
  • I have a winter bike so not an issue. I know the Boardman bikes are a great price as they are 08 and if I don't buy within next few days I will miss out. The Spezialised looks a great bike but I am new to all the bike speck and bike talk. I would like to know if the Boardman is a better bike or are they about the same.
  • cougie
    If I were you - I'd go and check out the Boardman in the flesh and see if you can get a go on it.

Its got great reviews - so you wont go wrong if you get it. Just make sure you get fitted ok for it.
  • Theses were the two I was torn between, The Boardman is great spec for the cash but I just couldn't get over the fact it's a 'Halfords' bike and every body knows it.

Sippose that puts me into the bike snob section!! Oh well.

Got mine on the cycle to work Scheme also, overall teh bikew will cost me £520 and I get 17.5% worth of free accessories to RRP value of the bike so that a further £130. I suppose if I take into consideration the free accessories the bike only cost me £390!!!!!! for an Allez Sport 09!!
  • cougie
    My mate bought a Specialized last month - he's ridden it three times and its broken twice - disk brake had problems and the rear mech collapsed. So the big name is no guarantee of quality.
  • alanmck1971
    alanmck1971 Posts: 85
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for replies keep them coming.

Also I am unsure about the sizing of these bikes I spoke to the gut in LBS and he advised me that a 58cm frame would fit me. I am 6' 1" tall with 33" inside leg. What size would I go for the Boardman. They have Large and XL. The XL is a 57.5cm would this be the right size.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think you might find the 58mm frame a little on the small side!
  • keef66 wrote:
    I think you might find the 58mm frame a little on the small side!

Oops I think you might be right.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Obviously you need to sit on one to be sure but a 58 is probably about right. I'm the same size as you 6' 1" / 33 legs and my 58 Allez fits perfectly.
  • I got an 09 Allez in August........nothing to compare it too cos its my first roadbike since the early 90's, but I'm more than happy with it, I commute on it too and its not let me down yet......not even a puncture........yet :) I looked at the Boardman too but I dont have a Halfords local to me so it woulda been a pain to organize collection so that kinda put me off. I really wanted the Trek 1.5 but the Trek shop couldnt get any of the new colours in at the time and was sold out of 08's, so, the Spesh it was.......not disappointed tho.
  • Thanks guys I am going to wait till my work has cycle to work scheme in April and go for the Allez. Had a look at Boardman and looks great but would have to part with £450 cash where I can buy Allez over 12 months for about £400. Another money question. How much do you have to pay roughly for your final payment on the cycle to work scheme? If I bought the Allez and paid roughly £400 over the 12 months , how much would I have to pay for the final payment? Any ideas?
  • I know last year the average final payment on our C2W scheme was £20!!
  • Help guys. I have turned the Boardman down and am going to wait until April and get AtheAllez. I am still swithering. Have I done the right thing?
  • My final C2W payment this year was basically just another months instalment at the regular amount. Around the £35 mark .
  • Don't worry, you,ve done the right thing, I looked at loads of bikes and kept coming back to the Allez, I even preferred it to the Bianchi's.

I'm sure you'll love it!