Kraken Tyre Upgrades

Wax_On
Wax_On Posts: 8
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
I have had my Kraken for a couple of weeks now, and really am enjoying riding it. (Complete begginer, only riding bridal ways and gentle XC ). I have read that the tyres are really heavy and slow rolling. can anybody reccomend a cheap alternative for the type of riding mentioned ?

Comments

• Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Maxxis Advantage of Ignitors would be ideal for what you do, you can get them both from Halfords, I thinkg they're £18 each from there.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Excellent decision :lol: I hates me the Factory XCs. They're fairly grippy in mud at least but they're too heavy, too slow, too inconsistent in the dry, and too cloggy in mud. They do look good though.

Do you plan to move on to bigger/harder offroad over time? If so, it'd make sense to go for something a bit more grippy than you need just now. There's so many choices I'm not realyl able to make recommendations myself, I like Kenda Nevegals for knobblies and Small Blocks for fast rollers, most of my mates swear by Conti Kings of some sort- the speed kinds are grippy but fast. But there's loads of options.

One thing I will say about the Kraken, probably its biggest weakness for me is that the rear tyre clearance isn't generous, I like big volume tyres but even my nevegals (2.1 I think) are a bit tight, the rear mech catches an awful lot of mud. and it builds up like mad around the chainstays in heavier stuff. That's not a big grumble, it's still better than many, but don't go with big rear tyres
    Uncompromising extremist