new Cardiff rider

plasticflower
plasticflower Posts: 25
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi There. I'm a 30 something (!) female who moved to Cardiff a few months ago from Plymouth. Have done a bit of off roading, (Dartmoor, Cornish Heritage trail) but guess I'm still a newbie at mountain biking. Still getting to grips with the technical stuff and getting used to falling off!

Looking for people to ride with. I travel to Swansea a lot as family live there and fancy trying the Afan trails. Anything suitable for beginner?

Anyone want to meet up for any riding? I work shifts so have time off in week as well as weekends.

Comments

• from cardiff there are a few trail centers and if you have access to a car the breacon beacons north, i don't live in the area any more though my folks do.
  • Penhydd at Afan is very good. Not too difficult for a beginner either. Alternatively if you follow the taff trail out of the city centre you can get some practice in the woods around castle coch. Not as good as Afan but some nice trails nonetheless.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Hey

I live in cardiff, and none of my friend bike.

I have done cwm carn so far and looking to go to more places.

PM me let me know, but can only go on saturdays as family commits
  • another one that has also moved to the dark side :wink: I'm pretty close to cwmcarn, and am pretty fit after 3 years of road TTing, but suspect that its a bot too much first time out especally on a busy saturday. What are the best routes at Afan or Brecon Beacons given I dont want a family n kids day out route, so something that is going to demand high physical effort but not too much technical skill...well maybe no technical skill :D
  • breacon beacons is fair old area, at this time of year if your not used to the area, care is needed as the weather can close down very quickly, this said some lovely routes such as the pre roman droving road to Breacon. grab a map, and some mates and explore.
  • Thanks for that - I'll PM you.

Have only done the fire roads in Cwm carn - what are the trails like?
    canada16 wrote:
    Hey

I live in cardiff, and none of my friend bike.

I have done cwm carn so far and looking to go to more places.

PM me let me know, but can only go on saturdays as family commits
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I have only done the fire trails as well.

Never went to the very top were the DH section I am not that brave.

Not sure if there is more XC trails up there, but by the time I got my ass to the top I was wiped, so took the first trail I seen LOL

Might be looking to go around 1st or second week of jan.

Need new tyres as mine are getting a bit low, and got some coming for x-mas.

I only have a car though, so need to chuck the bike in the boot, as dont have a rack.
  • Welcome to the forum

David
  • seriously guys book yourselves on an uplift day at cwmcarn! its brilliant! The track is fairly easy and totally rollable so its all good. You can ride it on an XC rig if you don't have a DH bike so don't worry about that. Its just well worth a day out and you'll love it.
  • Hi There. I'm a 30 something (!) female who moved to Cardiff a few months ago from Plymouth. Have done a bit of off roading, (Dartmoor, Cornish Heritage trail) but guess I'm still a newbie at mountain biking. Still getting to grips with the technical stuff and getting used to falling off!

Looking for people to ride with. I travel to Swansea a lot as family live there and fancy trying the Afan trails. Anything suitable for beginner?

Anyone want to meet up for any riding? I work shifts so have time off in week as well as weekends.

Hi

I recently returned to cycling after many years away and have had a few really good ride outs around the forest trails that run just north of Cardiff (Rudry, Cefyn Mabley etc). I'm looking to increase my number of biking buddies as like yourself, work shifts and find myself with time to ride both in the week and also at weekends. This is ofcourse, all subject to family commitments (two children under the age of 3!!).

I'm planning to ride at Cwm Carn and also at Afan Forest over the festive period. Let me know if you fancy arranging a meet.

Regards.
  • I'll be with the family in Swansea on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Am off Saturday and Sunday but back in work on the Monday. :-(

Will pm you my details. If you're planning on going to Afan let me know and I'll take my bike back to Swansea with me.
  • hey all

i'm another 30something

I live close to cardiff but have no-one to ride with :(

have visited cwm carn for a picnic with the family and got taken in by it

have a bit of skill..
    VERY unfit due to my love of beer and pizza
    limited car usage/family commitments but would love to tag along after christmas if i can
  • I'll be with the family in Swansea on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Am off Saturday and Sunday but back in work on the Monday. :-(

Will pm you my details. If you're planning on going to Afan let me know and I'll take my bike back to Swansea with me.

Great, I'll look forward to hearing from you.
  • jammiewg wrote:
    hey all

i'm another 30something

have a bit of skill..
    limited car usage/family commitments but would love to tag along after christmas if i can

Cool

I'll PM you with details when we decided on definite dates.
  • morrocoman wrote:
    jammiewg wrote:
    hey all

i'm another 30something

have a bit of skill..

Cool

I'll PM you with details when we decided on definite dates.

Wait to hear!

cheers
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I moved away from Cardiff reasonably recently, but there are lots of good place to ride within easy distance.

The trail centres are obviously good, but can be crowded and having some experienced rider breathing down your neck while you try to tackle a descent you find tricky is not good for your confidence. Find them at a quiet time and you should have a blast.

I personally like the Brecon Beacons for less of a cookie cutter experience and good map packs are available. Unlike the trail centres you may find that some sections you'll have to walk down/up though, even on the blue routes (depending on the weather conditions and erosion).

My wife and I also had a great time on the gower (maybe leave that until Spring though), awesome scenery and you can peddle from north to south pretty easily.
  • RhysD
    RhysD Posts: 105
    there are lots of trails in north cardiff - as mentioned around castell coch, but also around the wenallt, the Garth and ridgeway to rudry, caerphilly near the tea shack, some routes near cefn onn and so on.

Bascially, you can string variations of these together to make as long/hard a ride as you want. Some incredible riding around, right on your doorstep without needing to drive anywhere!

I have some GPS logs of lots of these, anyone PM me with their email address and happy to share.
  • rose04
    rose04 Posts: 17
    I would like to join you one day but I can't ride yet :oops:
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    You're perfectly placed for some of the best riding in the UK.

Cwmcarn and Afan are both only half an hour away.
  • Im still what you call a newbe to this wonderfull world of mountain biking and I live in Swansea if anyone is interested in hooking up :D