TDF - Barcelona & Andorra

garyokeeffe
garyokeeffe Posts: 4
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi there

I'm lloking for some advice as to a base and means of transport for a trip to the tour next year. I haven't been before so if anyone can share some local knowledge and advice based on past experience I'd appreciate it

The boss has agreed to a holiday in the Barcelona area at the time of the tour. There is a stage finish on thursday 9th July. We're planning to fly in on the Wednesday night and spend the day in Barca on the thursday and see the stage finish. The plan is then to head towards Andorra Arclais and situate ourselves on one of the climbs. Its approx a 200km drive from Barca. Would you have to leave that evening and spend the night in the car on either the Port d'Olina or on the final climb or could you leave the hotel at 4 or 5 am and be up before the roads close?

After that its back to Barca and begin the payback process for subjecting her to two days of wiating for 200 men on bikes to pass :roll:

Having never been there before I'd appreciate any advice..

Comments

• tomilinski1
    tomilinski1 Posts: 96
    My plan is flying to Barcelona on evening of 9th July, and drive to Andorra - arriving at some unearthly hour.
    Then wake up and ride the final climb and wait around for hours.
    Stay in Andorra on 10th July
    11th July - wake up and ride the first climb and wait around for slightly fewer hours.
    Then drive to France (nearish to Tourmalet)
    12th July - wake up and ride the Aspin/Tourmalet or both and wait around for hours.
    Go back to Barcelona or stay somewhere en route
    13th July - bit of touristy stuff in Barcelona then fly home

Sounds good eh?

Anyone got a suggestion for a night stop near to the Aspin?
    Bring back the original C4 Tour theme tune !

The wife's breastfeeding tops website
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Good, clean, reasonably priced hotel in Beaudean (couple of villages along from St Marie de Campan between Aspin & Tourmalet), called Le Catala. Don't know if they'll still have vacancies, but worth a try. www.le-catala-hotel-pyrenees.com
    And, no, I don't have shares in it :wink: but I live nearby and know it quite well.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • tomilinski1
    tomilinski1 Posts: 96
    Danke... I mean merci beaucoup (I need to brush up on the old lingo before July!)
    Bring back the original C4 Tour theme tune !

The wife's breastfeeding tops website