BBC Sports Personality vote Chris Hoy

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Does Hoy have any chance in winning it? prob not but i'll certainly spend a bit of cash in giving him a few votes, is anyone else going to be voting for him?
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Already a couple of threads on "Race":
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12596963

Tactical voting may be required so we don't split our votes between the 4 cyclists on the shortlist!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I think that the BBC offered up 4 cyclists to split the vote. Why? because they want Lewis Hamilton to win as they have F1 coverage next year and they want to tie it in.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Yeah I was gonna say Hoy SHOULD win, but that damn Hamilton kid will probably get it.
  • Frankly, Nicole Cookes achievements this year are superior in my view. Her competition was much togher and to get the Olympic and worlds in the same year on the road is impressive.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Out of that list personally Chris Hoy for me. Yeah Nicole did well however she a full team behind her to help her as well and I don't really understand the competition argument. It can be a postiive or negative thing. For Chris Hoy to motivate himself to do the trianing day in day out to get to where he is when he was far ahead of the competition must have been really tough. Just because you have put in the hard graft to make yourself the best in the world doesn't mean your effort was any less - does it not make it all the more impressive and from the other perspective by having competition Nicole had a focus and goal which may have just been the extra bit of grit she needed in those final metres. Had she far ahead of the competition she may have lost her focus and missed a break.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    SPOTY was in an article in todays paper with Lewis heading the list of possible winners, the cyclers were mentioned in the last two lines :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Crabstix I totally agree, but as has already been stated that is the problem we are all going to split the vote and gift the award to Lewis H.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I'll be voting for Cooke as I think her achievements are the most outstanding of any sportsperson this year. As for having a team behind her, so did all of her opponants. That's how road racing works.

It could also be argued that the track team (and good luck to them) only got the medal haul they did because they outspent eveyone else umpteen times over.

In reality though, who cares? Give it a month and you will be hard pushed to find anyone who can name the winner of a competition that is on a par with strictly come Dancing.
  • Mombee
    Mombee Posts: 170
    Despite the staggering successes at this years’ Olympics, I had resigned myself to the normal list of overpaid footballers, a second rate cricket or rugby team and a few boxers or golfers that we’ve never heard of.

But clearly someone at the BBC has been given a good talking to and they’ve selected an ‘Olympic’ top ten…

Chris and Nicole would seem to be the logical options, as they've had more non-cycling publicity this year. I just hope that the cycling lobby doesn't get split, and shoot itself in the foot, by Bradley's achievements and Rebecca's recent publicity shots.

Cheers.
    http://www.mombee.com ... more than just bikes.
    Cannondale CAADX Disc
  • i dont think chris hoy will win due to him having the "wrong accent", hamilton should be put in the team competition as f1 really is a team event and hamilton could not have won it if the didint buy off , who was it timo glock or something!!! cheats
    felix's bike

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    i dont think chris hoy will win due to him having the "wrong accent", hamilton should be put in the team competition as f1 really is a team event and hamilton could not have won it if the didint buy off , who was it timo glock or something!!! cheats

This is utter nonsense, Glock completed his final lap slowly because of slick tyres on a wet track, looks suspicious until you see that Trulli on the same setup was actually slower. Unfounded accusations of cheating are on a par with cheating itself! I am hoping your knowledge of cycling is better than your knowledge of F1. I don't believe either, that accent will have anything to do with it, what will stop Hoy winning is the cyclist vote being split between several other worthy cyclists.
  • i dont believe a word of it glock basically moved out of the way to let Hamilton through and the accent thing its the exact same when scots do well in sport they're called "british or even sometimes ENGLISH" But when they do bad they're Scots
    felix's bike

• alfablue
    i dont believe a word of it glock basically moved out of the way to let Hamilton through and the accent thing its the exact same when scots do well in sport they're called "british or even sometimes ENGLISH" But when they do bad they're Scots
    Well, that's wishful thinking I am afraid, the telemetry and video tell a completely different story, plus Glock was fighting for his right to a drive in the team next year, far more important than the title contenders from his point of view. Still, you can believe what you like (there is a thriving flat earth society for example), but unsubstantiated accusations of cheating in any sport (cycling included) are not very big or clever, really. Actually, they are libellous and totally undignified!

I do agree that the Brits like to claim the success of Scots (he was in a GB team though), but in a way this shoots your own argument in the foot - British voters are surely more likely to embrace him because he is a winner, using your own argument. Like it or not, I do not believe there is any great anti-Scottish prejudice, I mean our PM is a Scot for F sake. There may however be some prejudice the other way, but you may know more about that Felix.
  • utter nonsense!! i am not trying to say that he's not part of the gb team but scots athletes regularly get labelled as English by commentators on tv. FACT!!! Lewis hamilton has done absolutely nothing to deserve it, Hoy has totally dominated in his field. No brits are more likely to embrace Hamilton because he is English British so this is why he will probably win it and it will be an absolute farce!!
    felix's bike

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    its the exact same when scots do well in sport they're called "british or even sometimes ENGLISH" But when they do bad they're Scots

I've never actually come across this "phenomenon" more than once (Colin Montgomery if I recall). But going by the amount of whining that goes on up here, it's an everyday occurrence. :roll:
  • alfablue
    utter nonsense!! i am not trying to say that he's not part of the gb team but scots athletes regularly get labelled as English by commentators on tv. FACT!!! Lewis hamilton has done absolutely nothing to deserve it, Hoy has totally dominated in his field. No brits are more likely to embrace Hamilton because he is English British so this is why he will probably win it and it will be an absolute farce!!
    Not sure what bit was nonsense. Anyway, if Brits label Scots as Brits when they do well, then this is in Hoy's favour, surely? I think Hamilton has done a teeny weeny bit to deserve it, winning a WDC is not so easy (you try it!) and takes a lifetime of dedication, one can't just swap from rowing and win at F1 four years later (sorry, nothing against Romero), but it does take something special, whether you admire those qualities or not.

In my view there are no unworthy winners in the list, and this may be the problem this year, we are spoilt for choice.

Whilst you are entitled to your views Felix (though maybe not entitled to libel anyone), I think the real issues are ones of sport, not nationalism, prejudice or alleged cheating. It is a bit like getting your excuses in first tbh.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    my scottish husband is adamant that with a name like Lewis Hamilton, he must surely be scottish anyway :lol:

if it were down to cooke, hoy & hamilton and it was purely about personality - I would like Cooke to win. I thought that in her interviews she was a breath of fresh air - so honest and down to earth and didn't seem all that media trained. If I do vote, I will vote Hoy - I think he's got the best chance of winning out of all the cyclists.

It's a good list isn't it? They all did amazingly well - even grumbling Andy Murray.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    popette wrote:
    my scottish husband is adamant that with a name like Lewis Hamilton, he must surely be scottish anyway :lol:

if it were down to cooke, hoy & hamilton and it was purely about personality - I would like Cooke to win. I thought that in her interviews she was a breath of fresh air - so honest and down to earth and didn't seem all that media trained. If I do vote, I will vote Hoy - I think he's got the best chance of winning out of all the cyclists.

It's a good list isn't it? They all did amazingly well - even grumbling Andy Murray.

It is a good list. I think Hamilton will pip it though, simply ecause F1 is the more popular and Calzaghe won it last year. I think Hoy's chances have diminished, due to the inclusion of the other cyclists.
  • grumbling andy murray? go on the scots!!!! kick on!!! :D
    felix's bike

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I know everyone's talking about Hamilton being the fav', but I can see Rebecca Adlington getting it.

No-one expected her to get a medal, yet she got 2 Golds and 2 world records.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • I'd have to agree with Rebecca Adlington getting the vote. Her first (400m) race was THE most exciting finish I have probably ever seen. The Adrian Morehouse/ Andi Jameson commentry was fantastic too ( "Holy Moley!") and she has a sparkling personality :wink:

I should add that I was a swimmer for most of my teens so can relate to the training required to reach that level.
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    i dont believe a word of it glock basically moved out of the way to let Hamilton through and the accent thing its the exact same when scots do well in sport they're called "british or even sometimes ENGLISH" But when they do bad they're Scots

because the Scots that aren't too stuck up to accept British (aka English) tax subsidies are the ones who tend to get the results...?? :lol:

will be voting Hoy (and not just to prove that the English are big enough to not have a as many prejedicies as some in the UK) :lol: but because he's a throughly nice guy
  • When can we vote and where?

Is it phone voting only or is there some sort of "online" voting method available?.

As a proud Scotsman, Mr.Hoy will be getting my vote and most of my friends and family will be doing the same ( after I mentioned it to them rather emphatically :lol: ).
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • the show starts at 8pm on sunday on bbc1 and i think its telephone voting.

caaaamonnnn hoy!!!!
    felix's bike

• ARob wrote:

because the Scots that aren't too stuck up to accept British (aka English) tax subsidies are the ones who tend to get the results...?? :lol:

will be voting Hoy (and not just to prove that the English are big enough to not have a as many prejedicies as some in the UK) :lol: but because he's a throughly nice guy

so your saying all the subsidies come from the english goverment or the english public? what about the braveheart cycling fund etc?
    felix's bike