Gisburn Forest

GilesM
GilesM Posts: 5
edited December 2008 in MTB rides
Hi there, my first post on here, I live in South East Scotland and spend most of my MTBing time in Glentress and Innerliethen, however this Friday I will be staying near Skipton and have a free day to go and play, can anyone tell me what Gisburn forest is like, is it worth it, or would a natural trail be better, slightly West of Skipton is better as I have to meet somebody later in the day near to Blackpool.

Thanks

Giles

Comments

• hi, i've done all the trails that are set but the forrest from the main car park. they are all quite scenic but there is nothing difficult and not much single track or downhill. its mainly gravely paths wide enough for cars to go down.
  • Hold your horses man, there is more to Gisburn than meets the eye.

The marked trails are fine for a workout, but are indeed mostly forest road - but when you get up near the top there is a load of fun to be had in the quarrys, hopping off rocks and looking for short skills sections amongst the rubble.

AND

While I don't have all the inside info, there is a whole load of downhill been cut out in the forest, you just have to find it.

Met a bloke who was building up a jump there this summer - had a scream trying out one short section, bent a wheel on a tree and all sorts!

There is are also a lot of good hills and dales to expolore in the nearby (Dunsop bridge is one area worth a look at) but you will need to get hold of an OS map, or scour the web for some routes in the area.....

Hope that helps a bit - have fun, it will rain!
  • Thanks for your thoughts, I'll have a look at the OS maps and see what I think when I get to Gisburn, atleast if nothing else I can have a good work out and a bit of a play at Gisburn, if the weather is really bad I may give any high up natural trails a miss.

Cheers

Giles
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    GilesM wrote:
    Hi there, my first post on here, I live in South East Scotland and spend most of my MTBing time in Glentress and Innerliethen, however this Friday I will be staying near Skipton and have a free day to go and play, can anyone tell me what Gisburn forest is like, is it worth it, or would a natural trail be better, slightly West of Skipton is better as I have to meet somebody later in the day near to Blackpool.

Thanks

Giles

The new trails in Gisburn Forest are not complete yet and the (volunteer) builders will NOT thank you if you go riding on their hard work before it's ready.

The "off piste" bits in Gisburn are just that - off piste and non-sanctioned.

If you're stopping in the Skipton area, there's loads of good riding to be had just over the hill around Malham, Settle, KIlnsey and Kettlewell. Plus it's limestone country, so it drains well to. I did a route up there last week with a firend and whilst it was bitterly cold we stayed mainly dry and clean which we wouldn't have done riding closer to home in Lancashire.

Dig your OS map out and get planning!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • i-drive
    i-drive Posts: 527
    was up at gisburn 2 weeks ago & its a good blast .
    i have been hundreds of times litrally .it is easy to avoid the new stuf & still have a good time on the old trails.

one decent loop is around 11 miles so 2/3 laps required.