Need something better than Lucozade (!)

Zippy
Zippy Posts: 189
Summer and winter, foul weather and fouler, in the one bottle-cage I have 750ml of flat Lucozade and in the other, plain water. (Yes, I 'take two bottles out in the showers'. Sorry – couldn't resist.)

I'm out for about five hours – very moderate pace: just sightseeing, really – and in warmer weather replenish both bottles with just plain water en-route. I suspect I could do better than Lucozade so what is a budget alternative, please? I don't need the absolute best 'scientific' stuff: no athlete am I, sadly.

Thank you,

Zip'.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lucozade is full of glucose - about 20%, good for a quick sugar hit, but without that water will dehydrate you.

If taking plenty of food and fruit ie bananas then just plain water should suffice. A bag of jelly babies good for a quick and cheap sugar hit.

If taking less food, then something like diluted orange cordial with a half teaspoon of salt (per litre) and half teaspoon of low salt can make a cheap isotonic drink.
  • Zippy
    Thank you for that, 'supersonic': I'll give them a try: the jelly babies, of course. Your other suggestion also receives a cordial welcome. Honestly, though, as much salt and lo-salt as that? I don't question you from any lofty, medically-informed standpoint, just the always-seeing-it-on-the-telly (mis)conception that salt is the latest no-no.

Thanks again,

Zip'.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    if you're a fat lazy couch potato then salt is a no-no. but your body does need a certain level of salt, especially coupled with regular excercise. When you sweat you are loosing some of your natural body salts
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    As a cheap energy drink (that seems to work better than water!), I've been using 'Iso Energy' from Holland & Barratt.

It isn't as good as PSP22 (for example), but then you don't see offers like 3 for 2 on that either.

I think I got 2 tubs for £5 last time.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Zippy
    Thanks, all.

Er, 'PSP22'?

Zip'.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    tbh im not too sure whether this is as good as lucozade prob not but it works for me... i get a bottle and fill a quarter with squash like robinsons R or even tescos or any cheap brand and then 3 quarters water and 2 good pinches of sugar and 1 pinch of salt. you can get these spoons that give you exact proportions of salt and suger but i just work on the lines of put double the amount of suger than salt. give it a go it works well for my martial arts havnt used it cycling yet but will work the same obviously :D:D
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • i've got a 2 litre camel back, i mix 1 litre cheap supermarket orage juice, 1 litre tap water and some salt, works great
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • PErsonally I'm dead against lucozade. I have a high metabolism so I find that after a ten minute rush I just crash within half an hour and stay that way for an hour or so. on a ride I take loads of water - mainly to keep my brain sharp (as brain dehydrates before the body) and a Low GI energy bar from any good sports shop.

I think low GI is the key because it wont make you crash unlike glucose based energy.

glucose is cheap.
    Train hard, ride easy
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    like MAB, i prefer not to go for the instant sugary hit....much prefer a slower releasing item

Plain old water, plus a load of fruit, nuts and seeds etc and always jelly babies in reserve if it gets really tough,
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I use 50/50 fruit juice and water with a pinch of salt for a up to a couple hours ride anything longer I use Nuun tablets they are fruit flavoured tablets that dissolve in your water and provide all the electrolytes you need

For energy on the go I munch 70% dark chocolate and when we stop out comes the fig rolls
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Water & think of a pint in the pub seems to get me through!
  • a half bottle of buckfast in your hydration pack should sort you out, not necessarily help you, but it will sort you out.
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    cant remeber wot mtb mag it was but they did a diy recipy for energy and t great

50g of glucose (dextrose monohydrateat chemists )- boots £2 for 454grams
    1/2 teaspoon of baking soda- few pennies
    1/4 teaspoon of salt - few pennies
    100ml of favorite squash - 10p ish
    900ml of water - free (well almost)

so about £3 quid for 9 l of energy drink bargin!!!

makes a litre obviously
    have a mouthful every few mins it works wonders!!
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!