Converting a hardtail MTB into a roadbike

maxgtfc
maxgtfc Posts: 22
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Currently ride a Jamis Cross Country, which I love, but acquiring a full suspension bike for the off road stuff and will be using the Jamis to keep fit. Any advice on converting the bike to more road friendly. I was thinking new tyres, handlebars and front fork. Any opinions welcomed,

Thanks

Max

Comments

• mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Slick tyres are a good start but an MTB bike will never be a road bike. Do you forks have a lock-out facility?

It might be cheaper to sell it and buy a road bike although I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it :)
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    You're going to have to pretty much rebuild the thing save the frame if you want a road bike (unless you're going the slick shod mtb route), and that's almost certainly going to cost more than a s/h road bike. I'd keep the Jamis and get something cheap from flea-bay or wherever, can never have too many bikes :)
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    fluff. wrote:
    You're going to have to pretty much rebuild the thing save the frame if you want a road bike (unless you're going the slick shod mtb route), and that's almost certainly going to cost more than a s/h road bike. I'd keep the Jamis and get something cheap from flea-bay or wherever, can never have too many bikes :)

You can if you talk to my wife :wink:
  • A pair of 26 x 1.5 Folding Rubino Pro tyres will make an enormous difference to rolling resistance etc. I would'nt bother with much more regarding expense. The only other worthwhile recommendation could be lighter wheels (Mavic XC717 on XT hubs) and maybe a rigid, lighter fork. But those two changes will set you back £200 plus.
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    I have converted an MTB to a road bike.
    New bits:
    Conti Sport Contact 26x1.3
    Campag Mirage shifters and rear mech.
    Drop bars
    That's it.Cost was approx £100.
    I put a double chainset on that I had in my spares box but you can use a triple if you want.
    The result is surprisingly good.I mainly use the bike for local rides as I have 2 other bikes for longer rides.
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    Having a punt at this myself as a bit of a project for the hell of it / learning exercise, although probably will draw the line at putting drops on and leave it as a flatbar commute bike. It's not really nessecary, but I'm looking to replace the MTB cassette and front rings with road ones. Couple of questions:

I also need road front and rear mechs?
    The existing shifters should work fine? (will keep to 3 rings at the front and 9 at the back).
    If I did put drops there are drop levers available for disc brakes? (cyclocross?)
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    lock your suspension out if you can and get some slick tires, but a MTB will never be a rd bike
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I'd also consider getting a longer handlebar stem, so you're more crouched. Even so a MTB converted to roadie style will not be as smoother running as a roadie. You also may need higher gearing.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If it were me doing it - and you need to accept that its not gonna be a road bike....

1. Fit narrower slick tyres
    2. Get a lower toothed cassette to give you higher gears.
    3. Maybe fit some bar ends to give you more hand positions and slightly more stretched out position.

I think anything other than that and you'd be better off just selling the bike and buying a second hand road bike.
  • Sicknote wrote:
    fluff. wrote:

You can if you talk to my wife :wink:

You and me both brother. :roll: