Garmin 705

canny
canny Posts: 4
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Can anyone help me please, I have purchased a 705 and do you think I can connect it with my computer, can I hell! Im running Vista, is there anyone out there that has had the same problem. I have Memory Map to go with it etc.... :?

Comments

• Andrew_J
    Andrew_J Posts: 142
    I could be wrong but I dont think you can use Memory Map with the Garmin.
  • HI there.

Which bit of the software are you having trouble with?

I use the Garmin 405, and the ant+ agent, traning centre and online Garmin connect all work fine on my 2 vista pcs. I'm not sure what additional software comes with the 705.

Cheers, Andy
  • cant use memory map with a garmin i;m afraid

you're stuck with the very crappy topo maps from garmin for O/S style, or the expensive city navigator (or whatever they're called these days) for the google street map style.

(that said, if somehow you do get it working please please let everyone know :) )
  • canny
    I know for sure you can use Garmin products with Memory Map as it says so on the box. I agree that the topo mapping you get is pants. I just cant seem to get the Garmin and my computer talking to each other, when I go on Mem map I get a box coming up that tells me unable to find usb port......error 0????? I may have to e-mail Garmin, but thanks anyway and yes I will post as soon as all is resolved. :?
  • canny wrote:
    I know for sure you can use Garmin products with Memory Map as it says so on the box. I agree that the topo mapping you get is pants. I just cant seem to get the Garmin and my computer talking to each other, when I go on Mem map I get a box coming up that tells me unable to find usb port......error 0????? I may have to e-mail Garmin, but thanks anyway and yes I will post as soon as all is resolved. :?

mmm... have a look at http://www.velorider.co.uk/wp02/?p=29

2) The 705 is partially compatible with Memory Map in that you can export a .gpx file from Memory Map to your 705 manually (the 705 shows up as a mass storage device just like a USB thumb-drive). What you can’t do is export natively from MM to your 705, and you also can’t use the (brilliant) MM maps on the 705 - they are a different format.

It was May 2008 or something, so maybe things have changed? I'd love to have the proper memory map O/S map on my 705. I think its a total scam by garmin to limit their users to their sh*** maps when there are much better available or the same for free.

The second someone comes out with a unit that has the functionality of the 705 but open map access then garmin are stuffed (or will have to change their policy)
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I used to use memory map to make routes etc with my old 205.
    I've just bought a 705 with full UK topo maps and I think that the mapsource software is better than MM.It seems easier to use and has all the functions I need.Its also loads cheaper than MM to buy especiallyif you need the whole of the UK.
    As for getting your 705 to work with Vista you need to make sure your using the lastest version of Garmins training centre, its this program that has the drivers Vista will need to see your 705
  • Mastineo
    Mastineo Posts: 182
    Had a similar problem myself. Had to download a different version of the Garmin Comunicator plugin. Ring the support number and they email a link and instructions.
    HTH
    John
  • canny
    Many thanks guys, the problem is not one of loading MM onto my 705 but the other way. All my files I save are .tcx which I cannot open. Does anyone know how to convert these files so that they open.

I go into MM and into overlay but am unable to import history all I get is unable to find USB error 0

This is so frustating as I have seen a demo in a shop and it looks fantastic when you review your ride on MM.

I have this evening e-mailed Garmin and hopefully they will be able to advise me.

Lastly thanks again but if anyone out there has any suitable advice, please help me.
  • Not sure if this will help buy I know on a hand held garmin etrex you have to export /import history as tracks and not as routes when using non Garmin mapping systems. I had this problem on the Irish OS mapping system and when using Bikley or Mapmyride sites.
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • Canny, can you get your 705 to link to Garmin Training Center, and do you get the two folders when you plug your garmin in to your computer?

As mentioned above, you will need to install the Garmin Communicator software to get the unit talking to your computer.

Hope this gets resolved, wonderful bit of kit.