SD memory cards 2Gb

martinwitnam
martinwitnam Posts: 439
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
Bought a couple of these to put photos on for digital photo frames that I've bought as Christmas presents for my dad and the out-laws.
Problem is that we've (me and her) started putting photos on and all of a sudden the card stopped accepting any more photos. Checked properties of mem card and still has about 1.5 Gb free. Tried the other card and this did exactly the same. Thing is there is 252 photos on each card.
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of files you can put onto this type of memory card?

Can we fix it?
Yes we can!

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Tried formatting and starting again ?
  • Have just spoken to her at our house and she says the a friend suggested that but she thinks that it may be something to do with Ready Boost!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Have you/her flipped the lock tab on the card? My Dad did this on his SD card in his camera. There is no limit with regards number of files, only size of files. You could have 000's of 1kb files on the card and be OK, as long as there is space on the card you can add more to it.

BTW I bought my last 2Gb card from Morrisons for £5, doubt if they have any left now though. They were doing standard and micro but the micro didn't have an adapter.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Depends where you bought the card sometimes... what I mean is there were a spate of fake cards on ebay and in private ads where peeps would sell broken or relabelled cards. Capacity is easyto check though.

Its also worth sticking ton certain makes imo. Some of the really cheap brands dont go through the same checks that lexar and sandisk do.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I bought 2 Kingston Memory 2GB SD cards from the 7dayshop for £6.18 (one costs £3.49), post free. They are a reliable brand, as is the shop.
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    I agree with AlphaBlue, 7dayshop is a great online store. I always get my rechargeable batterys for my bike lights from them
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Stuww, 7dayshop is good for batteries, but I buy from Vapextech.2900mah AA four for £5.75, or 8 for £11.45, including next day delivery. I have been using them for some time now, very reliable.
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    That's a great price for 2900mah, thanks for the tip AlfaBlue, I'll get a few packs later.

Stu
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never had a problem with SD cards - have one in my camera and one in my phone - and they both take well over 252 pics. Er my phone has 1100 on - I need to sort them out !
  • ashw
    ashw Posts: 1
    I had this problem recently but resolved it by creating a folder on the SD card and dumping all my photos into that, rather than just copying pics straight to the card. Worked for me (don't really know why but it did) and hope it does for you.