Can't get comfy on drops

no-mates
no-mates Posts: 31
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm 5'7'' and been riding a 54cm CADD9 for 5 months now. I just can't get comfortable on the drops, I get a feeling of being bunched up and my arms just don't feel at ease. The stem on the bike is 100mm, would going to 120 make any difference or do I try a different style of handlebar.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Norm.

Comments

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Maybe consider bars with a shallower drop? FSA do one, as do 3T (Ergosum) - I've recently put the Ergosum on my bike and I now spend much more time in the drops 8)
  • Thanks Rich,

Just had a quick look at them on the web and they look worth a punt? Does the top part of your forearm touch the flat part of the handle bars when your on the drops? Mine do and I think thats what's causing the cramped feeling.
    Cheers for the speedy reply BTW.
  • Rich-Ti
    I don't think my forearms touch at all but I don't recall to be honest! I certainly feel much more comfortable in the drops with the Ergosums so it was definitely a worthwhile punt in my opinion.
  • Cheers Rich,

I'll take a trot down to my LBS see if they stock them - really don't fancy changing bars myself.
    Thanks again.
  • Rich-Ti
    The FSAs are probably easier to source than the 3T and similar dimensions - I think they're called compact or something.

Sigma Sport sell the 3T, as do Bonthrone.
  • Thanks Rich,

Just checked the LBS website, no FSA or 3T, just ITM which I've not heard of. I wouldn't have the stones to turn up at the LBS with a set of bars off the net and ask him to put them on the bike for me - I'd pay for his time obviously.

Norm.
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    Can you slide your saddle back on it's rails?If not,you can get an offset seat post with about 25mm offset.This will give a more stretched-out riding position.
  • Cheers - didn't think of that - a lot easier to change seatpost than I bars. Cheaper too I imagine.
    Norm
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You don't want to change your seat position though - the seat position is determined from the pedals - it's not a way to change the length of your bike.

Bars are easy to change.

What I would try first if you haven't already is flip the stem - that would get you about an extra inch less drop - about the same as compact bars. If the tops are too high then you know you could get a compact bar and flip it back.

What did it for me was some serious stretching - I felt the same way and have always been about as flexible as a giraffe. Did regular (most days) stretches - particularly hamstrings - and after a few weeks I was much more comfortable on the bike - and was much lower without being cramped.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Are you really riding a 54cm frame if you're 5'7"? I know you say that you feel bunched up on the drops but I would think that bike is too big for you. I'm 5'8" and looking at the CAAD9 frame sizes I would probably ride a 48, to get the right top tube length. I know I prefer my bikes to be a bit shorter but 54 seems way to big for you.
  • ram038
    ram038 Posts: 187
    Mister W wrote:
    Are you really riding a 54cm frame if you're 5'7"? I know you say that you feel bunched up on the drops but I would think that bike is too big for you. I'm 5'8" and looking at the CAAD9 frame sizes I would probably ride a 48, to get the right top tube length. I know I prefer my bikes to be a bit shorter but 54 seems way to big for you.

I am 5' 7'' i got measured at evans cycles on a CAAD9 and it was 54cm
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Evans? That'd explain it then!

How did they measure you?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd probably put a 5'7 person on a 52cm, but I reckon a 54cm would fit them better than a 48.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • philak
    philak Posts: 144
    "Are you really riding a 54cm frame if you're 5'7?"

Must admit that was my first reaction. I'm close to 5'9" and ride a 51cm (yes I know some people have short legs/long bodies and vice versa).

Are you riding with your arms out straight when down on the drops which is causing your forearms to hit the bars? The picture i get is of you being stretched and reaching in which case a shorter top tube bike or stem might give you some bend in your arm.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    +1 for philak
    It appears to me that you may be over stretched to reach the drops, hence your arms being straight and touching the bars.
    If anything you might look at a set of narrower bars, maybe 40cm.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Hi All,

First cheers for the suggestions. I've always felt the bike was if anything too small, I get the feeling that I'm too far over the front wheel. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the bike IS the wrong size, when I riding on the hoods I'm very comfortable. My LBS are very well respected and the guy I was dealing with is an ex pro so I'm sure the size is correct. I've just started cycling again after about 15 years so its maybe I'm not as supple as I used to be. I really feel cramped in the vertical sense so I'm gonna try flipping the stem first - can't do any harm and costs nothing.
    Cheers guys.
  • You could also try putting any head spacers under the stem to lift the bar up. That could give a couple or three centimetres more if flipping the stem (assuming it has 6 or so degrees of incline) isn't enough.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    tight hamstrings can cause you to be uncomfortable whilst in the drops. Some hamstring stretches might help a bit