cash investment in cycling,how much

the doktor
the doktor Posts: 70
edited December 2008 in Campaign
What is the value or weight of resources being put into government and trade body cycling initiatives eg Bike2work, Ride2Work?

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    depends what you want the answer to be! - good accountant's answer

What are you including or excluding in the counting?

What do you mean by weight of resources?
    What resources?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    the doktor wrote:
    What is the value or weight of resources being put into government and trade body cycling initiatives eg Bike2work, Ride2Work?

The schemes serve two main purposes:
    The main one is to cut the costs for a multi-national employing people in the UK. These schemes reduce that cost by cutting National Insurance contributions.
    The second purpose is to inject a bit of life into the cycling industry by encouraging people to either buy a bike at all or to buy a more expensive bike than they otherwise would.

Encouraging more people to actually cycle is a nice benefit of the scheme and how it compares to other tax cuts to encourage foreign investment

Any analysis of the resources invested has to be put in the context of the benefits of the jobs created/kept in the UK by the NI saving/increased sale of bikes. Saying the government is putting £Xm into cycling would be pretty misleading.
  • Spen666 has highlighted your problem. You are asking too general a question. What do you actually mean? What do you want to investigate with your research?

For example, the government may try to claim that tax not claimed is money spent by the government. You will not find a single simple answer to your question, you may even find youhave to make arbitrary value judgements concerning the data you find.

Good luck though
  • Nope.
    The page you submitted yourself says "Quite a few of the stats below contradict each other..."
    The word estimated is used 13 times.
    "in excess" is only used once,
    as is the word "bummer"
    The writing is full of issues. For example, I suggest you check wht the term unit actually means.
    I would also look into things such as the EU dumping duties. No doubt you already realise (since you've ready your own submission so very closely) not all bikes entering the EU attract these duties.

It seems the doktor finds himself at the bottom of the class
  • Eternal Headwind, I suggest you take up your questions with the author, Carlton Reid, editor of Bike Biz!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    the doktor wrote:
    Eternal Headwind, I suggest you take up your questions with the author, Carlton Reid, editor of Bike Biz!

erm

it would however appear that you are the one with the questions, not Eternal Headwind or the others.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Quite right spen666. Looking at my post I didn't actually use a question mark.

Doktor, it seems you have a general question about cycling. You mention money so I assume you wish to prove a point about the way cycling is funded / perceived as a transport strategy. If you wish to campaign for more cycling resources then I am sure you will find many friends on this site.

Now it is time for the question mark. Where are you gong with all this? Once you acquire data you are happy with then what?
    Although internet forums can become bogged down by a number of things, you may find that people here can challenge your ideas and help to make them stronger. After all, the minute you make a proposal concerning money to those with the power to either grant or widthhold money, you will have lots of people hoping to tear you to shreds.