SKS Raceblades

fto-si
fto-si Posts: 402
edited December 2008 in Workshop
So are these things really any good?
I am thinking of gettin a set for my Spesh Roubaix which I use for commuting. Are they truly universal fitting and do they stay firmly fitted?
exercise.png

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    edited November 2008
    I bought a set the other month.

The rear one is fine, does exactly what it says on the tin, was easy to fit, doesn't slip, move, rub, vibrate and keeps your ass dry.

The bracket on the front one rubs on the front derailleur cable that runs down the downtube. My plan is to modify the bracket (file down the ridge on top of the plastic) but not got around to it yet.

Other threads on here have said use the clear frame protectors that come with the kit. I did and having taken the mudguard off to wash my bike this weekend, there was a load of fine grit between the bracket and the seatstay. I reckon this would have knackered the paint without the frame protectors.

If you have eyelets and brake clearance for proper mudguards use them, otherwise the race blades are IMO a good solution.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I was never too careful with mine and they're a bit bent (the plastic guard that is), not too concerned about frame abrasion but otherwise they're super firm, never have to think about them or get annoyed with rattling or moving during a ride.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Put a piece of gaffer tape on frame where the guards are mounted otherwise grit gets underneath and abrades the paint. There are small self-tapping screws supplied which 'lock' the guard against the bridge and keep it in position. They're OK for keeping the muck of your bum but the guys behind still get a face-full of spray from the back tyre.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    The Daniel Salmon guards will also fit many bikes with very little clearance, and provide much better coverage than Race Blades. I am still using a set bought in 1983, so they definitely last. They are often/usually difficult to fit, with a little metalwork likely to be needed but you only need to fit them once. This is in part due to the sort of bikes they're likely to end up on and the range of possible fittings. See here for pix of some options: http://www.cyclesdsalmon.com/gardebouesalmon07.htm
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I got a set last month and have been very pleased with them - took a while to get the curve of the front one right but it's now very secure.

They're very quiet and are in a good position to keep most of the muck off.

I have a spare set if anyone's interested too - long story but I got one from my LBS and didn't have the heart tell him I'd bought them online because he took so long to get them in...

£30 delivered if anyone wants them. They're the 18-23 size in plain black.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • I have a set that I've just taken off my commuter as they weren't really providing much in the way of protection. I'll put them on my road bike for weekend rides in the wet. They do keep your backside drier than no guards, but I think you really have to have full length guards with the mud flap on the bottom to get any real benefit.

The problem I've found with raceblades is that the spray hits the guard and then shoots up and out at an angle. My backside is dry but my legs are just as soaked/muddy. If it's *really* wet I get spray in my face off the front guard.

I've had negative comments from rest of the weekend group getting "targeted" spray rather than indiscriminate spray from my back wheel.

Can't please everyone!

Oh, and use cable ties to secure them as the little rubber bands supplied with them tend to stretch and snap.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    ^ the newest version of raceblades have mud flaps too. Obviously they're not as long as regular guards but that might go some way to fixing the problem.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.