9 speed gears and mud

-liam-
-liam- Posts: 1,831
edited December 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Getting a lot of skipping and slipping of the chain on the bigger cogs when the mech/chain/cassette is clogged with mud and I'm climbing. Now I know this comes with the territory and perhaps I should try and keep it all cleaner but crap seems to effect the gears more than they did when I had an 8 speed rear cassette and a slightly wider chain. It doesn't help that the jockey wheels get all crudded up meaning there is no float in them from side to side. Got really frustrated today until I got away from the muddy sections then it was all good.

Any advice ? Perhaps there is something I can do with the set up to improve the performance ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds more like poor alignment.

and what was the front cog you were using?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • -liam-
    Deore hollowtech. problem was occurring on the small cog.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Doesn't sound like mud, I generally have no problems even in bad mud unless either the indexing is out or somethings worn or stretched. Might be cables glooped up as well.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Stop screw in too far pushing the chain onto the lower gear, it may explain the skipping.

Using Large/Large, Small/Small?
  • -liam-
    edited November 2008
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Doesn't sound like mud, I generally have no problems even in bad mud unless either the indexing is out or somethings worn or stretched. Might be cables glooped up as well.

Cables are xtr and only a couple of weeks old. I'd agree though, it does seem unusual.

I've set the gears up and they work fine when dry. Perhaps need to adjust the stop on the smaller cogs.
  • -liam-
    Vivid wrote:
    Stop screw in too far pushing the chain onto the lower gear, it may explain the skipping.

Tends to be on the top three rings. Would the stop have an effect that far down ? and no, its only using the most sensible ratios.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    -Liam- wrote:
    Vivid wrote:

Tends to be on the top three rings. Would the stop have an effect that far down ? and no, its only using the most sensible ratios.

That cancels that out then.

Try when clean and relubricated and see if you get the same results.

How old is the drivetrain?
  • -liam-
    Works perfectly when clean. Only starts messing about when(or after ;)) I hit the gloopy stuff.

The rear mech is 3 - 4 months old
    The chain and cassette(both Sram) are 2 months old
    The front chainset is a month old

There is a very slight and I mean slight play in the freehub, although it operates absolutely fine. Would this cause any probs? The LBS said it wasn't a problem when they fitted the external BB.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    wouldnt have thought so, when my last one went it was pretty bad and it shifted ok ish
  • -liam-
    I've re tensioned the cable and reset everything. Can anyone see anything in these at all ?

01122008220640x480.jpg

01122008214640x480.jpg

01122008215640x480.jpg

01122008216640x480.jpg

01122008218640x480.jpg
  • if it is a lot of mud build up thats clinging onto the gear cogs then one possible soloution maywell be to give a liberal coat of silicone spray over the cogs, jockey wheels and chain, (just make sure not to get it onto the disc! ) should make it a little more slippy as such and the worst of the gloop should fall off??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    Change to 8 speed,9 speed keep to the road bikes.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    swagman wrote:
    Change to 8 speed,9 speed keep to the road bikes.

Why not go to a single ring at the front and a 5 speed freewheel while ur at it :wink: :P
  • It could be that the mech isn't quite set up right, another 1/4 turn maybe so the changes are really slick and the mech is perfectly aligned. Alternatively, lube the mech pivots so it can move really freely, could be some gunk is fouling it in the three largest gears.
  • johnsav
    deore rear mech isnt the best in the world - get a new one for crimbo!
  • deore is solid and reliable, I very much doubt it is the (unfixable) source of your problems, whilst lubing the mech I'd pop open the shifter and check that too.
  • johnsav
    i was kinda joking...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is that mech hanger bent a little inwards? Doesn't look flush either in some of the pics.
  • -liam-
    supersonic wrote:
    Is that mech hanger bent a little inwards? Doesn't look flush either in some of the pics.

I wondered about that, but I think it is just the angle of the frame because when you eye up the hanger with the cassette, it appears parallel. Might just take it off and check it anyway.
  • johnsav
    if its only slight you can bend it back in situ with some grips