Reflective pedals?

phillarrow
phillarrow Posts: 15
edited November 2008 in Commuting chat
I've just read some DfT info about lights/reflectors (followed a thread on the Commutier Lights Showdown page) only to find that it is ILLEGAL to ride at night without yellow/amber reflectors on the pedals as well as a rear red reflector. I don't have a reflector of any kind on my bike although my clothing/rucksack light me up like a Christmas tree and my lights are excellent.
Obviously I've no intention of putting ugly, clumpy pedals on my lovely new Hewitt but I was just wondering what others do?
Has anybody ever been stopped for a 'reflector infringment'?

Comments

• Some rear lights have a built in reflector.
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    phillarrow wrote:
    Has anybody ever been stopped for a 'reflector infringment'?

No never, and it never will happen either, use good lights and hi-viz and you won't get bothered, unless you enjoy going around annoying the police for no reason ... but even then they would probably just beat you up and ignore your pedals :roll:
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Some rear lights have a built in reflector.
    And if so, they'll have a BS6xxx marking on it.

I can't speak of any cases of friends being pulled over on account of reflectors. While the lack of pedal reflectors would appear (from the market's point of view) to be an acceptable bending of the rules, I'd really recommend that you get a proper rear reflector, if only for covering all your bases should the worst happen and you are involved in an accident.

My folder was sold with a front reflector, (not legally needed) but no rear. I got one for free from my LBS (it had no retaining bolt on the seatpost clip) and mounted it on my rear mudguard with an angle bracket. It's a cludge, but I feel happier having it.