Bonked today

Giant Phil
Giant Phil Posts: 116
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
I wasn't really hungry this morning. Had two bananas and a glass of milk. I went for a medium intensity ride, of about 15 miles first thing, and just as I was getting home, got a phone call from a friend who I haven't been cycling with in ages - 'Would you like to come out for a ride?' So off I went.

We had a good ride, and we split up, about 15 miles from my house, so we could both get home in plenty of time before it got dark.

5 miles into the return journey, and I felt horrible. I thought I was only abit tired. But it got worse, and worse, and worse. I live in Devon, which is bloody hilly. Every hill was absolute hell to climb. I was going half the speed for twice the effort. A mile or two later. I had to stop. I was feeling dizzy, and could barely stay on my bike but tried to carry on, which wasn't good. My arms were like jelly. I got very bad tunnel vision. I think I started hallucinating alittle, because I thought I saw shapes in my peripheral vision.

I stopped about 7 mile from home, and got my cousin who lives nearby to drop me home.

Not pleasant. Now, Im not new to cycling. But have never experienced anything like that. So my message is for anyone, even if you have been cycling for a few years. Don't skimp on good food. And if you do find yourself in a similar position, stop, and get a lift home. I've read that even resting for up to 30 minutes will not help.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Regards

Phil
Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.

Comments

• Giant Phil wrote:
    I wasn't really hungry this morning. Had two bananas and a glass of milk. I went for a medium intensity ride, of about 15 miles first thing, and just as I was getting home, got a phone call from a friend who I haven't been cycling with in ages - 'Would you like to come out for a ride?' So off I went.

We had a good ride, and we split up, about 15 miles from my house, so we could both get home in plenty of time before it got dark.

5 miles into the return journey, and I felt horrible. I thought I was only abit tired. But it got worse, and worse, and worse. I live in Devon, which is bloody hilly. Every hill was absolute hell to climb. I was going half the speed for twice the effort. A mile or two later. I had to stop. I was feeling dizzy, and could barely stay on my bike but tried to carry on, which wasn't good. My arms were like jelly. I got very bad tunnel vision. I think I started hallucinating alittle, because I thought I saw shapes in my peripheral vision.

I stopped about 7 mile from home, and got my cousin who lives nearby to drop me home.

Not pleasant. Now, Im not new to cycling. But have never experienced anything like that. So my message is for anyone, even if you have been cycling for a few years. Don't skimp on good food. And if you do find yourself in a similar position, stop, and get a lift home. I've read that even resting for up to 30 minutes will not help.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Regards

Phil

Oh, yes, been there. IT's almost as if you can hear the last ounce of energy drain from the tank with a deafening gurggle! You should have started with an oat flap jack, or anything low GI, before the ride, and reserved the bananas for mid-ride boosts.

Restock on energy now and it is said that you'll have a good ride next time.

Sirius631
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Ah the good old Bonk, its gets us all

around easter time i went on a 50 mile loop I I have dobne many a time, had eaten a good breaky took a few bars and nana's with me and off i went. For some reason it all went wrong and with about 5 miles to go I bonked big time. My speed dropped off big time, the hills seemed longer and steaper than ever, had the jelly body feeling, and everything started to have a purple tint to it which was very strange! I managed to tootle home just about, straight to the sanwich shop...2 large baggettes and I was fine! Looked at my heartrate on the computer later on and where I bonked my heartrate suddenly went from around 160 to about 80 for the last few miles! crazy stuff.
    These days I am like a moveable tesco express when I go out!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Try a bowl of porridge and a banana for breakfast instead. Make sure you eat during the ride too. The last two days have really drained me simply because of how cold it's been.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Your description sounded exactly like what I experienced on the 'Cat and Fiddle Challenge' earlier this year!
    Before that, I thought I'd bonked on mountain bike rides, but realised that feeling a bit tired just isn't the same as a full on bonk.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I would have done anything for the chance of a bonk today!

Woke up to find the entire landscape crystalised under rimey frost and it hasn't got above zero all day. The roads are like bob-runs. So it has been blue sky, sunshine and nae chance of getting on the bike, agony, I tell you! Agony!

Recognise your symptoms, though, I got them on the Galibier of all places. Nothing I could do about it, just had to press on. It was evil. When I eventually got to the top, I didn't even celebrate, just leaned on the handlebars and shook for a while.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I've bonked a couple of times but never that badly- with me i just get to a point when i have to stop riding and put my foot down, but can't support myself and collapse into a heap :)

Wasn't far off it today actually. Didn't eat or drink much during the ride cos the stuff in my pockets was so cold and likewise my water was icy. 70-odd miles into the ride, i was really starting to struggle, it seemed like a lot of effort to go not very fast. I thought it was just the cold, but on stopping at the cafe and sitting down, my legs felt absolutely battered and empty. After a plate of beans on toast, cake and coffee, i was flying again (or as best as i could do, considering it had gone dark). Approaching home the computer was showing 96 miles so i went and did a couple of laps of Sefton Park to get the 100 :)
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Has happened twice for me - the first was worst and I learned from it, but just not enough I guess! The thing that got to me was just how long it took to get back to normal. Later that night my heartrate was elevated and I felt like a bundle of nerves despite the exhaustion. Since then I've come close but always avoided the bonk with judicious feeding and having some energy-giving (legal) powder added to my water bottles. I also try to make sure I'm WELL hydrated before a big ride which makes a big difference too and don't leave home without a breakfast - I know that opinions vary on that but it's what works for me, and I don't need to lose a lot of weight.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*