Bike Cleaning :-(

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited January 2009 in The bottom bracket
Though i'd give my bike a clean today, especially as my chain missed a couple of gear changes yesterday.

White spirit really does get the chain and cassette looking nearly new again.

Put some nice dry teflon lube on and it runs as smooth as silk 8)

Just a shame that i got oil EVERYWHERE!!! :oops:

One of the downsides of not having a garden.

Comments

• White spirit eh?
    I'll bear that in mind.
    I think I'd do better with a chisel to clean my chain just now. :oops:
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I put my bike in for a repair and the man got me into trouble about the state of my chain :oops:
  • need to have a scrubing session myself.
    Just back from watching a cyclocross race, and the course was slightly damp underfoot !!
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Drop the chain into a bottle with a couple of ounces of un-diluted citrus degreaser, cap it and shake thoroughly. Then fish the chain out, rinse in water, and lubricate the inside of the chain.

This method has worked for me perfectly over the last few years and is also recommended from Sheldon Brown.
  • Muc off and a hose is all you need :wink:

(if you're lazy and hate cleaning your bike)

edit: (although if you love cleaning your bike give me a bell. You can live in my spare room :lol: )
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • +1 for Muc Off
    Ride On ...
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    To get your bike nice and sparkley you cannot beat a ride in the pouring rain, it cleans your chain and rear mech a treat you just have to rinse it down and put some lube on, jobs a good 'un
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Hmmmm - what kind of rain do you have there on Button Moon ?
  • boybiker
    cougie wrote:
    Hmmmm - what kind of rain do you have there on Button Moon ?

Wet and cold :-P~~~~
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    They obviously have very clean roads on Button Moon, when ever I ride in the rain me and the bike are covered in sh!t by the end.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've never ridden thru rain that degreases chains before. Thats impressive !
  • boybiker
    You need pretty heavy rain but the first time it happened I was amazed,my bike had never been so clean
  • They obviously have very clean roads on Button Moon, when ever I ride in the rain me and the bike are covered in sh!t by the end.

Hmmmmmm, +1 for that, all sorts of cr@p here on Earth :?
  • They obviously have very clean roads on Button Moon, when ever I ride in the rain me and the bike are covered in sh!t by the end.

+1 for the dirt/rain combo, Derbyshire's dirty too.

Isn't Moon dust really abrasive?
    Might that be the secret?
  • tardie wrote:
    I put my bike in for a repair and the man got me into trouble about the state of my chain :oops:

I took mine in for them to have a look at a few bits and he ran his finger along the inside of my chain :shock: . Oh bum I thought, here we go and he congratulated me on the state of it, made my day :oops: .

Finish line dry & I dont ride in the rain :P
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    tardie wrote:

Finish line dry & I dont ride in the rain :P

don't you live in the UK then?? Rains most of the bloody time :roll:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Ieuanllan wrote:
    They obviously have very clean roads on Button Moon, when ever I ride in the rain me and the bike are covered in sh!t by the end.

+1 for the dirt/rain combo, Derbyshire's dirty too.

Isn't Moon dust really abrasive?
    Might that be the secret?

Do you travel on the A6? that's pretty mucky.

The slushy snow was really bad at the end of last year.

Thinking about this, what would the effect be of having the chains on the left? Most of the crud on my bike comes from passing lorries (from the local quarries)
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    It's 12.30am, and I've just finished cleaning my chain. I wanted to do a really good job, so I used a rag and used it to scrub the inside of every link individually. Also done the jockey wheels, and I've taken my crankset/chainring to pieces to clean properly tomorrow. One day I may even ride my bike.

All this because of the horrible, horrible mud we get on the North Downs. Second worst mud type I have ever come across.